IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Skyrim is a beast. On one hand, it's an amazingly realized open world with varied locations that's beautiful and fun to explore, and the stealth mechanics aren't all that bad. The world-building in terms of how it fits into the Elder Scrolls mythos and how carefully they've constructed the universe through the dialogue, environmental storytelling, & in-game books is mindblowing.

On the other hand, it plays like complete shit. Like, the actual combat/AI/controls are garbage. I'm glad I played it before playing the recent Far Cry games, because now trying to go back & play Skyrim after playing an open-world game that's actually fun to play in addition to being fun to explore, I find myself very frustrated with it.

yeh hope the next fallout is just as cool. so looking forward to a new fallout game

Pretty much my thoughts on what I hope for in the next Fallout. I hope they use the same engine too, if not a new one.

Admittedly combat was frustrating for a while, since having to constantly go back to the selection menu to switch weapons is a pain in the arse. But I just learned yesterday how to hotkey equipment via a YouTube tutorial to make combat go more smoothly. But it's still bullshit that there's nowhere in the game or manual that tells you.

Also an annoying glitch in the Dawnguard DLC when Serana keeps saying the same phrase like 20 or 30 times in that castle before you enter the Soul Cairn. I wanted to bash her stupid head in after the fifth "We're getting close. I'm sure of it."

Edited by ambermonk

Playing FFXIII on Steam (50gig download!) and the graphics are crazy, a gorgeous improvement on the PS3. Had to turn down shadow resolution two notches and some textures/character models don't translate to HD well but other than that, it's running at near full whack. The graphics looked pretty good on the PS3 but at 60fps and in HD the backgrounds and characters sure are impressive! Also playing it in Japanese, seeing as that's what the majority of the download size is for.

The story is still balls though. :emotawesomepm9:

Admittedly combat was frustrating for a while, since having to constantly go back to the selection menu to switch weapons is a pain in the arse. But I just learned yesterday how to hotkey equipment via a YouTube tutorial to make combat go more smoothly. But it's still bullshit that there's nowhere in the game or manual that tells you.

I mean the actual feel of the combat is weird. I think someone humorously compared melee combat in Elder Scrolls to swinging a balloon animal at a brick wall. At least archery is entertaining in how the killing blow triggers the hilarious physics engine and sends creatures flying off cliff faces.

I mean the actual feel of the combat is weird. I think someone humorously compared melee combat in Elder Scrolls to swinging a balloon animal at a brick wall. At least archery is entertaining in how the killing blow triggers the hilarious physics engine and sends creatures flying off cliff faces.

lol I love your balloon animal analogy, that's genius. Yeah I think the ridiculousness of the arrow or bolt impacts on enemies sending them flying backwards adds to the fun factor.

Just finished the second season Telltale's Walking Dead game. I think I'm the only person who thought that the second season's characters were more convincing. Especially Carver. [mild spoiler] In all the years of video game playing, I never encountered a bad guy who I absolutely hated as much as Carver, in a good way. He's probably my favorite character. [/mild spoiler] In fact I think I liked the second season better overall, actually. Great games though. I can't think of another game that comes close to having characters I cared about as much as these ones, or even at all (maybe KOTOR).

shadow of mordor. got my ass handed to me by a warchief this morning. this game is a giant grudge-match and it feels p good.

also playing kentucky route zero. really wonderful and laid back. i found a man playing a guitar on the side of the road, gave him a dollar, and he "reached into his glass of whiskey, pulled out a wet dollar, and handed it back." lol.

shadow of mordor. got my ass handed to me by a warchief this morning. this game is a giant grudge-match and it feels p good.

also playing kentucky route zero. really wonderful and laid back. i found a man playing a guitar on the side of the road, gave him a dollar, and he "reached into his glass of whiskey, pulled out a wet dollar, and handed it back." lol.

Haha yeah that part is great. Playing the same game right now, I'm on act II.

finally finished the main story for mgs peace walker. found out that there's an extra chapter of story missions and 2 more endings that open up by completing bonus missions... game gonna last foreva

eventually clicked for me though. the base management stuff gets pretty addictive. it can be fucking hard to play by yourself though. most missions are clearly meant to be played coop. boss battles take forever since most mech lifebars are enormous

Guest bitroast

Although I'm three years late, I've been playing Skyrim for the past month. Think I can see why it got high praise. It's also nice to have a laptop on which it performs well.

skyrim came out 3 years ago??

12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.jpg

Although I'm three years late, I've been playing Skyrim for the past month. Think I can see why it got high praise. It's also nice to have a laptop on which it performs well.

skyrim came out 3 years ago??

12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.jpg

released on 11.11.11

faint.gif

I finally finished pimping up a generic a 3 year old Dell Optiplex on saturday by slotting in 8gb DDR2. Spent about 200 on it over the last year with parts from Ebay, about as much as this little machine can handle, intel quad core , bitchin graphics card, blu-ray burner. The power supply might be an issue, and the tiny hard drive means i can only install 6 or 7 games on it :sad:image.png

Played Call of Duty Ghosts on it last night and it was smooth gameplay all the way, bit of a pain in the arse getting it to work on a USB controller with Xbox360 emulator exe though. Currently dling Alien Isolation. Who's played it? The reviews say it's pretty immense and gives you a sense of dread like the original Alien film