IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

I've been holding off on giving Exai a good listen for a while; ordered a new turntable so that I can do the non-digital vinyls justice. Will binge once that arrives. The album is more digestible and engaging on vinyl somehow (not that the CD/file versions are bad in any way), and the pressing is so fucking lush. It just feels right, man.

The azimuth on my current TT is off and not adjustable and I'm afraid it'll hurt the 'chre. :(

Edited by baph

listening to minipops & anticipating syro makes me appreciate exai... what a beast of a release!

where tomorrow's harvest (& syro, from the tone of reviews so far) are mostly polished refinements of past iterations, exai felt like a genuine step forward for ae.

I haven't listened to Exai in full for a good while, but more so playing single tracks here and there to still give me the saesoning.

I want to try and stave off listening to ae before syro drops for some reason, anyone else getting them feels?

deco Loc buUumps.

• 2 weeks later...

The second half of the second disc is where it's at for me. I listen to the run of spl9 - YJY all the time.

recks on was incredible on early listens and I remember thinking it would get old after a while.. was wrong. It gets better and better. :sorcerer:

recks on was incredible on early listens and I remember thinking it would get old after a while.. was wrong. It gets better and better. :sorcerer:

so true ....so true

The Krakow set included a track that was similar to recks on. I mean it had a very heavy straightforward hip hop beat with some amazing fuzzy bass. One of the highlights of the show for me. I hope it will be released at some point.

Reading Pitchfork's gushing Best New Music review of Syro today make me angry again about the 5.9 they gave to Exai.

Hypothetical: If the promo CD from Warp to Pitchfork labelled as Syro "accidentally" contained the consensus ten best tracks of Exai instead of the Syro album what would the pitchfork score have been? 9.5? 9.8?

I like that Ae releases records every 2 years, but one has to wonder how the hype machine could get going if this was their first album in eight years like it was for BoC/ Aphex / Daft Punk.

Small print: This is not mean to be a diss on Syro or Aphex.

exai and autechre in general are too genius and works of genius by definition are those that're understood in future (we all know how ae music works and how many yrs we usually need to really understand their albums, don't we?) so i'm not surprised with the pitchfork's 5.9.

deco Loc and 11 is are favs from the album, and I think 1 1 is might be one of their best of all time. Not to say that oversteps/move of ten were bad, I love oversteps, but I think they really stepped up their game with longer expansive tracks on Exai

Yes. 1 1 is is almost a completely flawless track. And even with "flaws" it is one of the best tracks I have ever heard throughout all genres. Amazing.

Also, anyone else noticed/loving the very subtle dying "heartbeat" at the end of bladelores? A beautiful moment. And at the very end of bladelores the super-hidden melody under the noise.

Edited by Jev

• 1 month later...

Also, anyone else noticed/loving the very subtle dying "heartbeat" at the end of bladelores? A beautiful moment. And at the very end of bladelores the super-hidden melody under the noise.

yes, i like that side-chained kick and the hidden melody. exai is full of moments like those.

@roksen

i have recks on on repetae. such balls!