Guest bitroast

Ooh interesting. Well there's always the option to only rock up to The holy mountain. Thanks, I think I'll check them out !

I just found out about The Rover and I'm thinking of going to SIFF next week with a friend to see the Australian premiere. it's set in the lawless Australian outback of the near future, and stars (the awesome) Guy Pearce as a former soldier driven by rage. it's already drawing comparisons to Mad Max. it's David Michod's second film after Animal Kingdom, which was excellent and an Australian classic. I'm sold on multiple counts.

This Is England - 10/10

I haven't seen this in a long time. This film is so dark, so realistic, so good.

Yes!!

Watch Tyrannosaur if you haven't seen it - it's directed by Paddy Considine (who was in Dead Man's Shoes)

This Is England - 10/10

I haven't seen this in a long time. This film is so dark, so realistic, so good.

Yes!!

Watch Tyrannosaur if you haven't seen it - it's directed by Paddy Considine (who was in Dead Man's Shoes)

Thanks for the recommendation, what a great film.

The Armstrong Lie: 7/10, Came across this in the VOD menu and figured any Alex Gibney doc is worth a look. It's informative and well put together, but Lance Armstrong just isn't that interesting a figure, even with the gruesome blood doping.

Edited by doublename

recently watched Jodorowsky's Dune.

great doco talking about Alejandro Jodorowsky's efforts in recruiting staff/talent and finances to make big epic psychedelic sci-fi romper adaptation loosely based on Dune.

pretty great watching if you have any fascination in 70's/sci fi films. recommended!

*** on a similar note ***

can anyone recommend El Topo / The Holy Mountain?

nearby cinema is playing a double of the two films back to back next week and i'm considering going. I've read the incal and enjoyed most of it (the visuals) but found the plot to be pretty meandering and borderline incoherent psychedelic ramblings. are these films worth checking out?? any thoughts appreciated :)

Of course it's borderline incoherent psychedelic rambling, but it's amazing. Totally go see it on big screen. Haven't seen El Topo yet though, but I can't really imagine watching anything immediately after Holy Mountain...

Oculus - Good, if you're into horror give it a go.

Reallly enjoyed Absentia by the same director, a great little suspense/horror gem. Think I will watch Oculus tonight.

215px-Dawn_of_the_dead.jpg

really disappointed. i thought i was going to get into this, but i found it to be a clumsy mess. it goes from people trying to do a news report about zombies to suddenly arguing about doing the news report before a bunch of cops bust an apartment building (?) where one minute they're shooting puerto-ricans and black people to suddenly burning zombies then mumbling about feeling guilty about killing the zombies before some cop is shot....

boooooring

sleepaway_camp.jpg

watched this last night. a 35mm print. the film is a laundry list of political incorrectness. i'm in love with judy. i think that covers it

http://youtu.be/yfZR1Lqjws4

Something about the end of that fine film has always haunted me.

215px-Dawn_of_the_dead.jpg

really disappointed. i thought i was going to get into this, but i found it to be a clumsy mess. it goes from people trying to do a news report about zombies to suddenly arguing about doing the news report before a bunch of cops bust an apartment building (?) where one minute they're shooting puerto-ricans and black people to suddenly burning zombies then mumbling about feeling guilty about killing the zombies before some cop is shot....

boooooring

Spot fucking on. Remake is better by miles and it's not a particularly good movie. I have a warm heart towards zombies from before the hype, yet i seriously struggled to find a somewhat cool movie on the subject. Is there a relatively obscure tolerable zombie film out there? Messiah of Evil is kinda neat. I guess italians like Fulci must have made something cool, but i'm a bit alienated towards old school zombie make-up.