Body Melt

Forgotten Australian body horror/comedy flick - twas' good fun! Big production, didn't feel too cheap alike some films in this ballpark - loads of great practical effects...starts out great but slowly weakens as it goes along, but still worth a watch if you're in the mood for some splatter :cisfor:

yeah great film 

Started watching The Babadook this weekend. Fell asleep half way through. The mom & son are possibly the 2 most annoying characters in any form of entertainment I can recall from recent memory. May try finishing it, who knows...

1/10 so far for the book illustrations only.

^Indeed (edit - about Babado' being complete shit)

A Call Girl - V simple, but effective. Reminds me that I used to watch movies and actually like them.

Edited by doublename

Saw some random clips of Platoon on youtube, got the itch to rewatch the movie, it was even better than what I remembered it, fantastic characters, great pacing, only miss is those old school sound effects but it's still a fantastic movie.

the blackcoat's daughter

i am going to shoot a movie where i play weird noises and atonal violin stabs over meaningless dialogue because i have no idea how to create tension, essentially creating the horror equivalent of the big bang theory's laugh track. i'll cut away anytime something violent happens because not seeing things is scary. the indie viewer who "usually isn't into horror" will say my film is "subtle and unnerving" and call it "more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie". 

Saw some random clips of Platoon on youtube, got the itch to rewatch the movie, it was even better than what I remembered it, fantastic characters, great pacing, only miss is those old school sound effects but it's still a fantastic movie.

Have you seen the film Salvador, Oliver Stone did before Platoon? Very low budget compared to Platoon. Quite horrific religious context sex scenes and mass genocide, also James Woods and James Belushi look like they are empathic all the way through. Also watch the making of doc as you get to hear what shooting a film in a country still experiencing a civil war is like.

Anyone seen Life yet? Worth going to get my scifi balls licked?

Have you seen the film Salvador, Oliver Stone did before Platoon? Very low budget compared to Platoon. Quite horrific religious context sex scenes and mass genocide, also James Woods and James Belushi look like they are empathic all the way through. Also watch the making of doc as you get to hear what shooting a film in a country still experiencing a civil war is like.

All of that sounds great!

And yes, I want my sci-fi balls licked. I'll watch it tonight and get back to you about the ball licking.

Started watching The Babadook this weekend. Fell asleep half way through. The mom & son are possibly the 2 most annoying characters in any form of entertainment I can recall from recent memory. May try finishing it, who knows...

1/10 so far for the book illustrations only.

Wolol. What a shitshow.

Finished this last night. Borrowing from the movie Home Alone saved the last act for me. Backpack catapult for the win. So the whole movie was about replacing your dog with a basement demon?

Stupid kid's dance after his coin-into-dove magic trick /10

the blackcoat's daughter

i am going to shoot a movie where i play weird noises and atonal violin stabs over meaningless dialogue because i have no idea how to create tension, essentially creating the horror equivalent of the big bang theory's laugh track. i'll cut away anytime something violent happens because not seeing things is scary. the indie viewer who "usually isn't into horror" will say my film is "subtle and unnerving" and call it "more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie". 

OMG I watched this film on Netflix recently and it did exactly that. Lots of really boring scenes with unnerving music and with a few quick cuts of people screaming or bleeding with string stabs (p r e m o n i t i o n s of things to come) thrown in. I guess it's the edgy new thing.

Le sigh

^ That looks like a Redlettermedia remake of Repulsion.

It kind of is

Repulsion stripped of it's nuance and turned into a millenial horror exercise.

The Fury (1978)

Brian DePalma doing Brian DePalma in the wake of the success of Carrie. Plot is basically Firestarter by way of Scanners, but not as good as either of those films. Some very effective scenes amidst what basically amounts to an overacted mess. Kirk Douglas brings his usual intense charm and Cassavetes was always basically playing himself playing whatever character (in this case a sinister government agent). Amy Irving is basically hysterical the entire time and Andrew Stevens is a brooding cringe factory. Some nice shots of 70s NY and it's local color (but you can get better examples of that from some of DePalma's other films). The finale is lol but maybe worth it. Can't decide.

Edited by patternoverlap

Yes I've seen Salvador but only in the background, was never a fan of Woods other than in "Once Upon a Time in America" so I didn't pay much attention.

All of that sounds great!

And yes, I want my sci-fi balls licked. I'll watch it tonight and get back to you about the ball licking.

It was ok.