JzAYiuz.jpg

i just watched this film and my brain has been blown (mind you i mean that literally. brain = kaput). the story is a simple love story and some (rather embarrassingly) have said it's basically a romeo and juliet story set in a polynesian jungle island, but i think there's more going on here- simple but effective. the style of the film does give it a documentary style which i think didn't do it justice but then again, i probably couldn't have done better.

brain + dust = tanna

I've been watching a ton of movies this year.....

The Fallen Idol 1948 - 8/10

Odd Man Out 1947 - 9/10

I Want to Live 1958 - 8/10

Private Parts 1972 - 6.5/10

Eating Raoul 1982 - 7.5/10

Love and Death 1975 - 8/10

Broadway Danny Rose 1984 - 8.5/10

Stardust Memories 1980 - 9/10

The Purple Rose of Cairo 1985 - 8.5/10

Shadows and Fog 1991 - 5.5/10

Zelig 1983 - 9/10

Crimes and Misdemeanors 1989 - 8.5/10

Husbands and Wives - 1992 - 9/10

Interiors 1978 - 8/10

Another Woman - 1988 - 8.5/10

Something Wild 1961 - 7.5/10

Moana 2016 - 7.5/10

What A Way To Go 1964 - 7/10

City Of The Living Dead 1980 - 7.5

The Beyond 1981 - 8.5/10

House By The Cemetery - 1981 - 6.5

The New York Ripper - 1982 - 7/10

Private Property 1960 - 7.5/10

Sisters 1973 - 8/10

rWA8XxZ.jpg

i'm surprised by how much i enjoyed this. i went into it with very low expectations but it ended up completely surprised.

a ship is headed to another planet with everyone asleep until it goes through an asteroid belt and is hit by a very large asteroid. this causes a malfunction and wakes up jim- who then proceeds to live for a year alone. 

he then begins to get very lonely, and even starts to go crazy, until of course he bumps into sleeping beauty (jennifer lawrence). gee, how cool would it be if i could live with this hotness instead of being all alone? he asks himself.

that's basically the setup. the rest is a cliche romance story until of course, the inevitable part where he has to admit why she's awake (opps) and the obligatory ships malfunctioning part (what sci-fi movie doesn't have that?)

yeah, not bad but not great either. i think the production design really kills it. there's a pretty good scene in the swimming pool and jennifer lawrence trying to catch her breath. that scene was amazing. 

Sg7J9yg.jpg

well, here's a film i didn't enjoy. not sure why, but i just can't get into superhero movies, despite the fact that this tries to make things pretty realistic, it's still held down by having to keep things within that universe where you have to address superheros (in this case, mutants and ummm the x-men comics...)

i was confused by a couple of things- perhaps because this isn't my thing and i'm unfamiliar with the backstory if there is one. i think hugh jackman is a fantastic actor and kinda feel bad for him that he's been pinned to such a juvenile role. as an action film it's kinda "meh" but i think the actors (even the little girl) do such a good job that it comes off better.

five hugh jackman's out of ten

can someone explain to me why the world would shake whenever charles xavier had a seizure? and what was that green "juice" that gave you the extra boost? and why was wolverine always limping? and who was the albino taking care of charles xavier? and why were they in the desert?

The only thing more boring than superhero movies is mafia movies

And the only thing more boring than mafia movies is westerns (Yojimbo excluded)
what about El Topo or the Dollars trilogy?

what about My Darling Clementine? or Shane? or The Searchers? or Once Upon a Time in the West? or The Wild Bunch? (I could go on)

Mafia movies and westerns are way more interesting than superhero movies wtf

Meek's Cutoff was mint, loved the pacing and the narrow aperture view, played for tension rather than crash bang wallop

British Mockney gangsta bs is surely the worst offender of all regarding played out shiiiite

Westerns offer infinite potential even if cliches and certain tropes abound, although Westworld certainly didnt help with *insert camp-fire scenes here garbage

High Plains Drifter & The Outlaw Josey Wales, post-Spaghetti filems have aged superbly, i must know the entire script for TOJW by now

and if someone with the right credentials ever gets their hands on a quality adaptation of Cormac M's "Blood Meridian", either by tv format or otherwise i'll be actually fkn gurning

what about My Darling Clementine? or Shane? or The Searchers? or Once Upon a Time in the West? or The Wild Bunch? (I could go on)

Unforgiven, True Grit (both versions), Blazing Saddles lol

Oh god, I could watch The Searchers daily. Absolute blinder of a film.

Also, saw Logan. Really dug it. And it was basically True Grit with mutants.

I'm watching Deep Blue Sea because my girlfriend wanted to watch it.........

is that the smart sharks one?

Yup. Dr Susan wanted to cure Alzheimer's but ended up creating super smart sharks.

I'm in bed now. I gave up.