Rings (2016) - really bad. The producers must have thought they were really edgy by having Samara come out of an iPhone, and totally blew what could have been more modern by having it themed around VR, that would have been infinitely more interesting.

the poster said not to watch it so I didn't.

the fate of the furious

in 2001 i was sentenced to an experimental program of behavioral therapy where i watch every film in the fast and the furious franchise as they are released. this punishment has taken a toll on me both emotionally and spiritually and i have considered at various times taking my own life. watching this film was very traumatic and as such i have no memory of anything that happened in it save for the final moments when two bald men (statham and diesel) exchange a baby, then diesel presents the baby to the surviving members of his crew and announces that it is actually brian, the paul walker character, not yet grown. now the full weight of the franchise comes crashing down as we realize that diesel's dom is actually walker's father, the eight films an ouroboros of familial bloodshed. 

the fate of the furious

in 2001 i was sentenced to an experimental program of behavioral therapy where i watch every film in the fast and the furious franchise as they are released. this punishment has taken a toll on me both emotionally and spiritually and i have considered at various times taking my own life. watching this film was very traumatic and as such i have no memory of anything that happened in it save for the final moments when two bald men (statham and diesel) exchange a baby, then diesel presents the baby to the surviving members of his crew and announces that it is actually brian, the paul walker character, not yet grown. now the full weight of the franchise comes crashing down as we realize that diesel's dom is actually walker's father, the eight films an ouroboros of familial bloodshed.

wait does this actually happen

change thread title to what high brow film have you seen or would say you've seen that you recommend to make you look intelligent and refined

Edited by marf

Philip Roth's Digital Man - not sure when this was made but it feels like an extended intro to one of those dystopia sci-fi games on the ps1 like G-Police or Colony Wars. The main cyborg is a rip off of Robocop but with an even bigger gun. I think the director was over compensating for the lack of budget. More crew cuts than Top Gun. The headmaster from the Breakfast Club is in the same universe but had a career change, now he is turning heel in a counter terrorism unit somewhere in Northern USA. One of the best from Roth's oeuvre.

The lost city of z

This was really good. James Grey is underrated and his direction is always elegant and classical. Also didn't know Charlie Hunnam could act.

Free Fire

A tedious exercise straight out of the late 90s run of Tarantino knock offs. Was bored shitless by this and if there is an allegory here for gun control like all the nerds are saying I didn't see it.

The lost city of z

This was really good. James Grey is underrated and his direction is always elegant and classical. Also didn't know Charlie Hunnam could act.

Glad to hear that was good. Been looking forward to it.

Tonight I think it'll either be Sighteers or Very Bad Things. Feeling in a dark comedy mood

Cheech and Chong's Savages (2012) - Thank you Oliver Stone for this update of weed smoking smugglers and growers in California. Cheech has now changed his name to Ben and a year backpacking after graduating from Princeton has allowed him to set up his own charity foundation. Chong has lost the 'g' and now plays ice hockey ALOT. From the free spirit movement of the 1970s, we now see that life in the 2010s is just quite bland and people like to be called the first letter of their name.

'Aveawankinstead/10

Free Fire

A tedious exercise straight out of the late 90s run of Tarantino knock offs. Was bored shitless by this and if there is an allegory here for gun control like all the nerds are saying I didn't see it.

Uh oh, I was hoping that High-rise would be just a bit of a wobble for Wheatley.

I really enjoyed Free Fire. It has a lot of great comedic moments, and somewhat gory ones as well. It drags a little in the middle, but once things start amping up, it's a nice ride til the end.

It's more of a dark comedy than a gritty action movie.

my cousin vinny

marisa tomei 100/10

Dead-on-balls accurate.

Oliver stone is trash and makes terrible movies

He used to be quite good though. Salvador, Platoon, Wall Street, Talk Radio, Born on the 4th of July, JFK, and Natural Born Killers are all either worth watching or downright stupendously good. I think he fried his brain on drugs and lost his brainsmarts and became an old wax figurine. 

my cousin vinny

marisa tomei 100/10

Dead-on-balls accurate.

*shudders*

continued the nolan batman series with the dark knight. holds up much better than begins. really quite good. dunno why i remembered being disappointed on second viewing last time.

At IFFR in Rotterdam, Wheatley introduced Free-Fire then did a Q&A after. Before the film started he said "See this film on the biggest screen you can find and the loudest soundsystem, this setting is perfect" Seemed a good bloke.