On 11/10/2019 at 9:56 AM, Squee said:

Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne, Andy Serkis as Alfred, Colin Farrell is in talks to play The Penguin, and Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman. Also, Matt Reeves seems like a solid director so I'm pretty excited for it.

This sounds pretty solid

On 11/11/2019 at 4:45 PM, Taupe Beats said:

Anything by Peter Watkins is worth a watch. His Edvard Munch biopic is one of the all-time greats. His documentary "The War Game" is the first time the BBC ever funded something and then refused to release it due to their fear it would cause a panic (this doc won several awards).

And then there's "Culloden"...which a certain xenophobic nationalist shithead on this very board tried to take my head off for commenting on once. Culloden is great, that shithead is not.

I wasn't familiar with anything beyond Punishment Park - thanks for the primer. Also that reminds me MIA had a music video that was an homage to that film.

The War Game sounds like it's up there with Threads in terms of being a truly horrific yet realistic take on post-nuclear war life. 

21 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

First saw slightly older, late night on the only channel that broadcast late, C4. Like war itself, nothing can really prepare you for it. For years that film genuinely haunted me - so much attention to detail, the story arc, the village with the corpses piled like chopped wood behind the cabins, the swamp scene, the paratroopers & that droney spotter plane overhead, the section where the kid is temp deaf from munitions, the girl's rape, toward the end when the kid is captured the Germans still seemed grotesquely human without resorting to patronising stereotypes.

Pre-internet couldn't recall the title & had pretty much given up on ever finding a copy anywhere (add Time of the Gypsies for a similar but far more fluffy quest). Then one evening at a friend's gaff he put this battered VHS tape on the vidyo-player....jfc...words akin to "you've found it". Think it had an orig title of "Kill Hitler". Appropriate, but Come And See says & suggests everything that follows so succinctly.

The narrow frame style (Meek's Cutoff has something similar stylistically) really focuses in & forces on you that unrelenting claustrophobia. Caught it after a fkn tough day & even though i knew the subject ahead it blew through me like frost in the plaster.

These are both new to me, christ y'all have been solid with your recs and viewing habits.

Watched It Part 2 the other day.

I liked it better than the first one because it was more over the top and it seemed like it knew it was over the top. But my god, those movies are just Marvel movies disguised as horror movies. And they're not doing a very good job at the latter.

ONCE_UPON_A_TIME_IN_HOLLYWOOD_OMU_212736

i really enjoyed this. tarantino seems to hate what has become of hollywood- best exemplified by a 9 yr old who takes herself too seriously despite barely having any experience (she also hates being given pet names)- and an actor who's in love with the process of filmmaking suddenly finding himself "a has been" as his new roles require him to play under layers of makeup to the point he's afraid nobody will recognize him.

at the same time this is a fetish film about films. there are films within- and lots of conversations about film- and a stuntman that lives behind a film set.

could've sat through another 2 hours of this

• Like 2

hustlers-600x443.jpg

a group of strippers begin drugging and scamming wallstreet businessmen who frequent their place of work after the 2009 recession hits and they find less and less ones in their g-strings.

nice attempt at a different kind of heist film- but this is terribly made and terribly rushed (pacing-wise). constance wu looks fooking incredible (must conduct more research on her) and carries the bulk of the film- as does j-lo to an extent; everyone else is just background noise. and even the setting (strip club) gets tired after the same recycling of sequences.

okay at best

On 11/19/2019 at 3:25 PM, Taupe Beats said:

Even though he was in Tarkovsky's greatest films, this film may have Anatoliy Solonitsyn's best performance.

Edit:  And Shepitko died during production of this film and Klimov had to finish the film on her behalf.

Didn’t know about the latter, wtf, easily one of the most nuanced war films going, seems like the other side of the same coin to Come And See. Ta ver’ much.

I watched the short film The Fall by Jonathan Glazer (Under The Skin). It was supposedly inspired by Trump's children and fascism in general.

Well, it was alright for what it was. Some very nice shots. It was a bit too much on the nose for my taste.

https://us.thefall.film

On 11/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, Nebraska said:

hustlers-600x443.jpg

a group of strippers begin drugging and scamming wallstreet businessmen who frequent their place of work after the 2009 recession hits and they find less and less ones in their g-strings.

nice attempt at a different kind of heist film- but this is terribly made and terribly rushed (pacing-wise). constance wu looks fooking incredible (must conduct more research on her) and carries the bulk of the film- as does j-lo to an extent; everyone else is just background noise. and even the setting (strip club) gets tired after the same recycling of sequences.

okay at best

I was expecting Showgirls with better acting, but this seemed like a vanity project so J. Lo can feel good about being 50 in a g-string.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:51 PM, jellyrajah said:

just a heads up - The Irishman is now available on Netflix

finally got through this-

it felt incredibly long. there are moments where it's established hoffa was an asshole- but then it keeps getting hammered on and on. some of the characters are also incredibly miscast: eg. pesci as russell bufalino? he looked more like he'd be a capo for russell rather than the old man himself. also- when joe colombo is assassinated, how come that's not shown as a major turning point for all the families? and who exactly was harvey keitel? 

also, despite the de-aging on deniro's face, he still moved like an 70 yr old- so there was a weird look where his face looks like it's trying not to be old, yet his body is betraying him.

i read that scorsese refused to make this a mini series for his own reasons but i feel it would have worked better as such because he seems more interested in the politics of crime and those details get lost when conflated with the various relations of the people involved. 

It's a meta-film (The Irishman). I see it as a film that exists because of all other Scorsese/De Niro/Pesci gangster films, with Pacino added, because he's also a gangster-film legend. It's probably the last film with all these legends in one place and as such has a bigger, broader meaning. That's also why they put so much money into retouching these old farts and why audience turns a blind eye on these grotesque retouches. Because yes, let's be honest, they look kind of smooth, but sound and move like seniors for the whole duration of the movie. But you couldn't put a De Niro's younger face on a young actor's body and call it a De Niro performance.

So, as a meta-film, it's actually quite good. It didn't have the energy of Goodfellas, because it's an old farts' movie, but I was entertained. But I can't imagine how it would look to someone who doesn't have a clue about these old legends and films. It would probably suck. 

As an aside with The Irishman, something I'm curious about from a psychological perspective:  How did DeNiro take to the CGI de-aging idea?

He had to do something relatively similar for Raging Bull but it required a pretty extraordinary effort from DeNiro to pull it off. I would think it's likely a point of pride to him. I wonder how he felt being asked for his character to go through something similar, but without his personal intervention to make it happen.

I'll reserve most of my other thoughts on the film. I did find the Paquin character (and her younger counterpart) to be massively underutilized (and for me, the most interesting aspect of the film is the dynamic between her and DeNiro). And strangely, there were certain elements of exposition (mainly around Pesci) that I felt were not fleshed out, and missing detail is usually not a weakness for Scorsese.

I watched Gemini Man for some reason, it's another de-aged thing, with Will Smith vs an 18 year old clone of Will Smith. It's really terrible. Why did Ang Lee direct this? Clone Smith looks decent in some respects, look at any individual frame and it's hard to tell there's anything weird going on, but in motion it still looks very weird, which is exacerbated by the fact that they increase the clone's speed and reaction times by about 100%, he moves faster than any human possibly could, the action scenes with him in look absolutely ridiculous as a consequence. Maybe this was an attempt to make up for the effect described by a few other people with the de-aged fogeys in the Irishman still moving around like people their age move, but if so they completely over compensated. Not seen the Irishman yet though, so don't know if they did a better job or not.

So Parasite finally came out in cinemas in NL this week. Went to see it last night. Possibly Bong Joon Ho’s best film. Characters are varied and, for the most part, in depth enough, the story, of course, is glorious and  the typically Korean overacting is completely functional. It’s also funny except where it purposely is not.

It’s two hours and ten minutes and it doesn’t feel long at all.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:37 AM, Candiru said:

I really enjoyed The Irishman. Not perfect, but I'll probably like it even more after a second watch. Al Pacino was awesome. 

Oh god, I have to watch it again? Not sure I can. I found it soooooooo dull.

Watched Ad Astra last night, what a waste of a beautiful looking film, terrible script and lots of dodgy science (the bit through ring of Neptune at the end was particularly dumb for about 5 different reasons).