5 hours ago, Nebraska said:

watched this last night. as you suggested, i decided not to read anything about it or watch any trailers beforehand (or after). 

Hide contents

thought overall it looked great but lacked anything to warrant the visuals. basically, it looked better than what i felt i got. i also don't think the film "worked" by having all the boys be played by girls. it was a little distracting. immediately the film began my wife and i were like "why is that girl hitting her head on the rock?"

Spoiler

Since the beggining I was always wondering, why did the director chose such effeminate boys... But I never thought they were really actresses... 

Anyway I'm a sucker for artsy fartsy so I had a great time... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Tim_J

On 10/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, TRiP said:

Innerspace
bit of gem! it doesn't quite know what film it wants to be - sci-fi/action adventure/comedy/family/romance - but it doesn't really matter as it all seemlessly blends into non stop fun. Think I saw this when i was a child and it scared the hell out of me, can see why now - some scary body horror ideas here.

On 10/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, TRiP said:

Ponyo
Great stuff - hadn't seen before, nice and trippy animation

U know his other movies right? 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, Taupe Beats said:

@Nebraska Have you seen Tsai Ming-liang's "The Wayward Cloud"? Think you'd appreciate it. (Very much suggest not googling and going in as uninformed as possible)

Was wondering where one might be able to view this?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kichiguy said:

Was wondering where one might be able to view this?

It's on the Criterion Channel streaming service for 6 more days along with a couple other of his films (Rebels of the Neon God, Stray Dogs).

I found Stray Dogs incredible. That film will stick with me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tim_J said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Since the beggining I was always wondering, why did the director chose such effeminate boys... But I never thought they were really actresses... 

Anyway I'm a sucker for artsy fartsy so I had a great time... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler

btw failed to mention i still enjoyed it and really appreciate you recommending this film. i actually recommended it to a friend of mine with the same instructions to go in blind.

btw one thing i enjoyed were the color moments. reminded me a lot of pierre et gilles art with a lord of the rings inspired papillon-esque storyline albeit more fantastically inspired.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, Taupe Beats said:

@Nebraska Have you seen Tsai Ming-liang's "The Wayward Cloud"? Think you'd appreciate it. (Very much suggest not googling and going in as uninformed as possible)

great. will add this next to my "to watch" queue

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 3:33 AM, Tim_J said:

U know his other movies right? 

Yes indeed, watched most of his films - except The Castle of Cagliostro i believe! must check that soon

Think when Ponyo came out originally I wasn't aware of his work or Studio Ghibli and just disregarded it as some kids film, shortly after I think I first saw The Cat Returns and thus started my awakening

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRiP said:

Yes indeed, watched most of his films - except The Castle of Cagliostro i believe! must check that soon

Think when Ponyo came out originally I wasn't aware of his work or Studio Ghibli and just disregarded it as some kids film, shortly after I think I first saw The Cat Returns and thus started my awakening

Check out this documentary if you haven't yet, it's quite revealing.

10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki

There's also one on Netflix apparently, but I haven't seen that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IDEM said:

Check out this documentary if you haven't yet, it's quite revealing.

10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki

There's also one on Netflix apparently, but I haven't seen that.

Miyazaki directed this music video back in the day, but it’s near impossible to find online.

1028F840-FE64-45C1-B267-1F467B5A61F7.jpeg

On 8/3/2017 at 5:20 PM, Silent Member said:

Free Fire. Making your entire film a shootout when you're unable to shoot one is not a good idea. At no point did I have any idea where anyone were located in the warehouse and I was unable to understand who they were shooting at. Learn to angles bro/10

Edit: oh fuck, I see Ben Wheatley directed free fire?! Wtf? I thought this was just another "me too" Tarantino wannabe arriving on the scene 20 years too late. Shit!

Was searching for reviews of the movie I Origins and found this pearl... ?

Just rewatched I Origins, it's actually pretty nice... A bit silly sometimes but overall it was interesting and touching which I guess that's where it aimed for... I also rewatched Another Planet a while ago and liked it as well... Cool director... 

Edited by Tim_J

22 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Was searching for reviews of the movie I Origins and found this pearl... ?

Just rewatched I Origins, it's actually pretty nice... A bit silly sometimes but overall it was interesting and touching which I guess that's where it aimed for... I also rewatched Another Planet a while ago and liked it as well... Cool director... 

I am thinking you meant Another Earth?  Just spent 10 minutes looking for Another Planet, ain't shit movies with that name lol.

Paranorman
Surprised by this one! Wiki describes it best 'stop-motion animated dark fantasy comedy horror film' - inspired by B-movie zombie movies. Has a great look and aesthetic, utilised some cool production techniques.  Although for all ages it definitely has a charm older audiences will dig, especially loved the intro scene of a fake schlock horror film. Perfect Halloween fix for those not into big scares.

American Gangster
Jaysus this was poor. Don't know what to make of Ridley anymore. I can see how it might have done well at the time when it was released, especially watching it in the cinema as the big blockbuster of the month - but watching now it just seems to be so empty, dull painting by numbers. Great cast, shot well but no substance. If it was close to the truth it I'd give it a pass as its maybe attempting to be a faithful retelling, but apparently most of it is just made up for dramatic effect.

Corpus_Christi_(2019_film).jpg

Boze Cialo / Corpus Christi

Juvenile delinquent pretends to be a priest. Of course he does really well at it. Helps to bring a divided community back together, that sort of stuff.

Truly offensive.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

american gangster (2007) is whats getting you to doubt ridley's abilities? have you seen anything he's done in the last 13 years?

Fair point!

Just saw The Duelists not so long ago and really enjoyed it so it must have re-juiced my Ridely tastebuds...have since rinsed and washed

I heard he's been directing his latest film from an issolated tent, here in Ireland. No one is allowed to be in the same space as him. Wonder how that will work out :cisfor: