43 minutes ago, Kid Lukie said:

Sweet as!

Surficially, it demonstrates a classic Freudian psychoanalysis client-therapist relationship and various concepts that originally sprung from Freud's work- resistance, transference, latent thoughts, dream analysis and interpretation, etc. But most interesting are the demonstrations of the "what if" questions it asks: What if our dreams became our reality? What if we could actually manifest our unconscious desires into reality? What if we could reform reality (i.e. "play god", as referenced in the title of the film, and perhaps a quip on altering our subjective experience)?

And... what if this power was misused? Surprisingly, there are no antagonists in this film, as even the manipulative therapist has good intentions. But what it does show is that even good intentions by the therapist can go awry. A sneaky critique on Utilitarianism... Just one of the many ways to look at this film~ so enjoy!

Plot summary for those interested:

In the near future, George Orr (George Orwell reference!) is charged with abuse of multiple prescription medications, which he was taking to keep himself from dreaming. Orr volunteers for psychiatric care to avoid prosecution, and is assigned to the care of licensed oneirologist William Haber. Orr's explanation of his drug abuse is incredible: He has known since age 17 that his dreams change reality, and tries to prevent himself from this "effective dreaming" because he fears their effects.

I didn't understand a word u just said but the more I don't understand a movie the more I like it so... 

Them that follow - worth watching, not least for Walton Goggins playing himself yet again

Mommy Dead & Dearest - Strange & excellent case for true crime nuts 

Ad Astra - On the 3rd attempt I got past the insufferable intro. The believable practical FX & lighting style, lifted heavily off Interstellar and Gravity (sorta), really brought some heft and enjoyment to the film, even if the plot is ridiculously stupid and there's a million redundant shots of Brad Pitt's vacant staring. 

I've been really lucky to see some great movies in the past few days (I am also unemployed).

The French Connection (4/5) - Still holds up. Everyone talks about that car chase because its fucking wild and was done without any permits. 

Bug (4/5) - Only a great director like William Friedkin can sustain the batshit insanity of the 2nd half of this movie. As someone who has had both bed bugs and crippling insomnia, I related to it a bit too much?

The Dark Knight Rises (2.5/5)- While the first half is entertaining, this thing is a bloated mess. Hoped it would be better on a rewatch but no. There is a great little moment of batman being illuminated by muzzle flashes in the dark.

To Live and Die in L.A. (4/5) - Pure entertainment that oozes 80s style. The Wang Chung soundtrack and the title credits are particularly memorable. Maybe not the deepest movie ever made but what the hell.

First Reformed (5/5) - This may be one of the best movies of the past 10 or 20 years. I am a sucker for the subject matter, though. Perfectly in tune with the dread of 2020.

Ida - (5/5) - This was incredible. They found the lead actress in a cafe! what the hell, she is phenomenal.

Cold War - (4/5) - Same director as Ida. Not as good, but the atmosphere and cinematography are really something. 

• Like 4

On 9/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, Silent Member said:

Here's my take on I'm thinking about ending things.

Hide contents

I'm thinking it's about the Janitor wanting to end his life (and possibly going dement). The girl is a woman he tried talking to in a bar that rejected him when he was young. He keeps fantasizing about their life together and plays these fantasies back repeateadly (all the ice cream buckets represent all the times he's done this, what we're seeing is just one iteration of them).  The Janitor is Jake (notice he likes musicals, the ones that are staged in the school where he works). In the home of his parents various stages of his life are played back, the girlfriend injected into them, and the memories turn into a garbled mess, he can't remember what the dog looks like so you can never see its face etc, he probably loses control of the fantasy here because of all the traumatic shit he went through. Notice that the girl has various names and jobs, interests throughout, he doesn't really know her and keeps changing her to what he feels would be best. The Ice Cream place is a metaphor for his incestous/forbidden lust for the girls in the school, the ice cream is sex. The Janitor killing the idolized version of Jake is probably him realizing his real self not being like he is in his fantasies, and him wanting to end his life.  I'm not really sure about the musical in the end though, soz !

K. I think I'm done editing this now, the more I think about this film, the more there is to discover. why the hell did I think I was replying to timj post?

You are a genus!

Apparently the structure of the movie loosely follows that of Oklahoma!, but I'm not familiar with the latter. The dream ballet and the doppelganger motif are present in the musical however, which seemed to fit the idea of the movie.

I found it intriguing and repulsive at the same time. (The scenes with the parents were torturous.) I certaimly don't regret watching it, but I don't think it's due for a rewatch anytime soon.

Jesus_Camp.jpg

interesting document on evangelical indoctrination done to kids. the head lady compares it to how the middle east uses radical islam on their children to brainwash child soldiers. "the only difference is we're right" she says. can't argue with that right?

10 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Jesus_Camp.jpg

interesting document on evangelical indoctrination done to kids. the head lady compares it to how the middle east uses radical islam on their children to brainwash child soldiers. "the only difference is we're right" she says. can't argue with that right?

It sounds like an easy and overkilled target by today. I see that the film's not new and that the camp was shut down after the movie, really no way to argue with that

Just rewatched Mandy which is bonkers

mandymovie andrearisborough GIF by Mandy The Film

Anyone who even slightly likes watching Nic Cage lose his shit just has to watch this. It's basically the most insane revenge film ever on acid (literally).

Also I recommend Colour out of Space (though I didn't recently watch it) as the second half of a double bill with Mandy.

I also watched The Lighthouse again, even though (but perhaps because) I didn't really get it the first time. I saw it the first time on my laptop (because of reasons) but this time saw it on my projector (about 60 ins on my wall). I really loved it this time and conclude that certain films you really have to watch in cinema conditions to truly appreciate.

• Like 1

Watched Vitalina Varela yesterday. Floored me. Varela's face is so beautifully expressive and this was likely the best performance I've seen in years. The final scene calls back to an earlier moment in such a devastating way. You should see this.

And @Schlitze, here's some trivia for ya, you fuck:

Spoiler

A Warp artist's music is briefly used in the film. And good luck scouring the web to find confirmation on it (you won't), but it's true.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MadameChaos said:

Just rewatched Mandy which is bonkers

Anyone who even slightly likes watching Nic Cage lose his shit just has to watch this. It's basically the most insane revenge film ever on acid (literally).

Also I recommend Colour out of Space (though I didn't recently watch it) as the second half of a double bill with Mandy.

I also watched The Lighthouse again, even though (but perhaps because) I didn't really get it the first time. I saw it the first time on my laptop (because of reasons) but this time saw it on my projector (about 60 ins on my wall). I really loved it this time and conclude that certain films you really have to watch in cinema conditions to truly appreciate.

The Jeremiah Sand album comes out for Halloween:

https://jeremiahsand.bandcamp.com/album/lift-it-down

sand cover.jpg

The first time I watched this I thought she was laughing at his tiny cock, but this time I realised it was because his music is shit. The moral of this story is, if a musician comes to your house and plays you their music, just tell them it's ace. Always. Just tell them..... it's fucking ace. 

• Like 2

Parasite - don't wanna sound to much like a fan boy but this was extremely good... The contrast between shift in moods in Korean cinema is way too high sometimes but this one blended everything so fucking smoothly... Top! ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nebraska said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbN_-H-69b9e2EmNxbQwC

this was GREAT. if you don't know (or remember) the story, i suggest going in blind. if you do, i suggest watching it 

I have no idea what this is about, but Netflix's true crime documentaries have a pretty good track record... I'll give it a watch.

Weird, he was there earlier. It was Kirk Douglas showing off his manly jawline.