Fox movies premium was on a roll today.

X Men - 7/10

X Men 2 - 6/10

The Wolverine - 7/10

Snowpiercer - 1/10

The Fab 4 - Rise of the Silver Surfer - Erm, lol? Fun /10

What to expect if you're expecting - Chick flick good feels / 10

Beautiful Creatures - Fuck off / 10 [still enjoyed] 2/10

Was a bit of a haul to watch them all in a row, but I couldn't be fucked to change channel after eating a 16" pizza. / 10

Pink Flamingos

Fucking hell. Really wasn't expecting this to be so SHOCKING! Especially given our internet savy and contemporary desensitised minds...but jaysus...really nasty stuff. Felt the whole thing was extremely negative, nothing nice or positive within it at all - just pure exploitive shock value.

Would not recommend/10 unless you're one of those people who just have to see it to believe it

Lucy - I know what you are thinking, this looks like one of the dumbest movies, well it is but it does some interesting stuff, dont go rush to see it but dont pass it either - 7/10

Lucy - I know what you are thinking, this looks like one of the dumbest movies, well it is but it does some interesting stuff, dont go rush to see it but dont pass it either - 7/10

It's luc besson and he hasn't done a film with a sci-fi slant for a long while. He can write an interesting and engaging tale. I liked the transporter and taken of his recent projects, they were solid action films. So i'm not hating on the idea of seeing it at some point.

godfather 3 - not sure how I slept on this for so long. 9/10, great gangster movie, underrated and well worth watching. sure, weak acting at parts, sure, not as fully developed as the others... or is it? why the fuck is this so panned? it was a great film to watch, highly entertaining, a few weak parts but I think actually maybe godfather 2 is a little overrated and this is a little underrated.

rewatching lotr series

good adventure movies, nay, great adventure movies, nay, the best adventure movies

Guest bitroast

Pink Flamingos

Fucking hell. Really wasn't expecting this to be so SHOCKING! Especially given our internet savy and contemporary desensitised minds...but jaysus...really nasty stuff. Felt the whole thing was extremely negative, nothing nice or positive within it at all - just pure exploitive shock value.

Would not recommend/10 unless you're one of those people who just have to see it to believe it

I can agree on the shock level. Watched it last year with friends and we all had a laugh at it, enjoyed it, but it still manages to shock even today which is pretty ridiculous.

I was fine with most of the film but the chicken scene was still a buzzkill. You can talk about the ethics and how it was done (as john waters did in a little talking to the camera segment that was included in our version of the film) but straight up that crossed the line for what i want to see in a film and only upset me really.

ceU7T9C.jpg

this is a funny movie. basically it's a precursor to christine about a lincoln continental mark 2 that loves to run people over, or off the road. i see how they're going for the whole "this is scary stuff. imagine a car is possessed and becomes alive"- basically a hippy version of artificial intelligence becoming self aware- i just don't get why nobody just shoots the tires or gas tank to render the car useless. instead, everyone is frantically scared of this thing

the best part though has to be the end when you see what's inside the car which, imo, was the equivalent of having a 12 year old girl possessed by the devil, that even has her masturbating with crucifixes and shouting all kinds of obscenities only to have the demon removed by a few recitals from the bible, and rather than a proper climax a cartoon pig walks out of her stomach, tips his hat and says "that's all folks!"

28 weeks later - it was ok -

exciting scene with the firebombing,

shit compared to the first though, stupid contrived lighting, none of the vibe of the first

Edited by hoggy

Super is on nf instant in the us. i was shocked at how great it is, i hadn't heard anything about it. i just noticed it was directed by the guy who did guardians of the galaxy so i checked it out, the writing is charlie kaufman quality, acting and directing are great, ellen page, the tall dude from the american version of the office, kevin bacon. funny comedy. 11/10

cape fear - utter shite. how the fuck is this such a well regarded film? it's one of the worst movies i've seen since uwe bolls "postal".

captain harlock cG movie from 2013, childhood nostalgia from barely remembered memories so there was a lot of wtf about lore and stuff. Pretty basic film if you take it at face value. Some nice cG moments and some wtfs. nwae, don't know how to rate it out of/10

Guest bitroast

Super is on nf instant in the us. i was shocked at how great it is, i hadn't heard anything about it. i just noticed it was directed by the guy who did guardians of the galaxy so i checked it out, the writing is charlie kaufman quality, acting and directing are great, ellen page, the tall dude from the american version of the office, kevin bacon. funny comedy. 11/10

I would not mind re-watching Super.

I enjoyed it the first time watched it but found a few parts jarring. I think a re-watch, knowing what to expect, may go down a lot better.

It's the ridiculousness of Super that has me interested in Guardians of the Galaxy (ie. Marvel are trusting a big budget fun Hollywood super hero romper with a director as daring as .. the guy that did Super??)

cape fear - utter shite. how the fuck is this such a well regarded film? it's one of the worst movies i've seen since uwe bolls "postal".

Which one?

the de niro one.

samantha-lewthwaite.jpg?w=720&h=480&l=50

the white widow: searching for samantha: there is no cover for this bbc documentary. basically, a timeline about how a typical english girl becomes one of the most wanted people by interpol, also documenting her fascination with black islamic men who want to be martyrs

ceU7T9C.jpg

this is a funny movie. basically it's a precursor to christine about a lincoln continental mark 2 that loves to run people over, or off the road. i see how they're going for the whole "this is scary stuff. imagine a car is possessed and becomes alive"- basically a hippy version of artificial intelligence becoming self aware- i just don't get why nobody just shoots the tires or gas tank to render the car useless. instead, everyone is frantically scared of this thing

the best part though has to be the end when you see what's inside the car which, imo, was the equivalent of having a 12 year old girl possessed by the devil, that even has her masturbating with crucifixes and shouting all kinds of obscenities only to have the demon removed by a few recitals from the bible, and rather than a proper climax a cartoon pig walks out of her stomach, tips his hat and says "

"
Fuck yeah I have the DVD, it used to run on Creature Feature on Saturdays back in Tampa Bay.

Pink Flamingos

I can agree on the shock level. Watched it last year with friends and we all had a laugh at it, enjoyed it, but it still manages to shock even today which is pretty ridiculous.

I was fine with most of the film but the chicken scene was still a buzzkill. You can talk about the ethics and how it was done (as john waters did in a little talking to the camera segment that was included in our version of the film) but straight up that crossed the line for what i want to see in a film and only upset me really.

Couldn't agree more - it really crossed a line into hyper-reality, the scene just felt too 'real' and depressed the hell out of me

Which one?

the de niro one.

aw man, such a shame you didn't like it - I loved it. Definitely goes on way too long, but I thought it was a good ole' genre film executed with a unique style and atmosphere.

At least you got to have loved the is scene where Deniro's smoking in the cinema? The Simpsons re-captured it perfectly.

the girl with the dragon tattoo (fincher) - better and more engaging than the original but still pretty stupid and nevertheless quite enjoyable. i mean the whole films gravitates around this extremely implausible character - a fucked up teen who somehow turned out to be a super genius, irl chances are something like that would end up a underdeveloped and semi-retarded incapable recluse, and yet they choose to make a hero out of this unlikely exception, kinda shoddy. i liked her acting though, those oscar nominated agonizing buttrape screams (great butt btw, the good butt genes probably run in the family - see kate mara in house of cards) are one thing but otherwise it's very understated and subtle and effective. but on the other hand you have those cliched "villain speaks about how fucked up he is for 15 minutes until the hero is saved", "the brilliant investigations" scenes complete with photos and arrows on the wall and "flawlessly ripping off a bad guy with impunity". i guess overall it can be categorized as a little pretentious and stupid revenge flick but decently directed and acted.

Starred Up - Was recommended this from a mate who's usually pretty good on films. He said he doesn't tend to like these sort of films ('aw rite mate I'm fucking Danny Dyer you si, I'll cut you first'), but he loved this one. It was fairly good but I probably wouldn't watch it again in a hurry. Didn't really enjoy the plot, found it a bit weak and uninteresting.

Antonioni's L'Eclisse. It's really made a strong impression on me, I have to watch it again! I really liked how its realism makes the film more radical and strange rather than dull and conservative. I also liked how sometimes, despite the existential subject matter, there are very beautiful non-subjective scenes. Also it uses sound in a really striking way. I don't know what to make of the ending though, but not in a negative way, I just want to watch it again!

I recommend this one!

Guardians of the Galaxy

Uuuuh... I don't get why do so many people get so excited about this. It's an unbearable safe movie. It's an insipid ride. It's predictable, it's not stimulating... I don't know guys. It's a completely empty experience. It doesn't even work as eye candy.

I don't doubt you, the screenshots i saw had a lot of purple lighting and other unhealthy non natural colours schemes going, the quake arena colour pallet that my brain has never been able to like. And then the set design and especially the clothing looked pretty unimaginative, plain uncool, along with that just walked out of the salon look for the actors that movies made by losers has nowadays.

I'll still watch it though, but i reserve my right to skim.

the girl with the dragon tattoo (fincher) - better and more engaging than the original but still pretty stupid and nevertheless quite enjoyable. i mean the whole films gravitates around this extremely implausible character - a fucked up teen who somehow turned out to be a super genius, irl chances are something like that would end up a underdeveloped and semi-retarded incapable recluse, and yet they choose to make a hero out of this unlikely exception, kinda shoddy. i liked her acting though, those oscar nominated agonizing buttrape screams (great butt btw, the good butt genes probably run in the family - see kate mara in house of cards) are one thing but otherwise it's very understated and subtle and effective. but on the other hand you have those cliched "villain speaks about how fucked up he is for 15 minutes until the hero is saved", "the brilliant investigations" scenes complete with photos and arrows on the wall and "flawlessly ripping off a bad guy with impunity". i guess overall it can be categorized as a little pretentious and stupid revenge flick but decently directed and acted.

Soundtrack was quite a massive trent reznor banger too.