hah, well sorry for my presumptuous presumptuousness then. [-; what is your ideal film then, say your top three or something, if you don't mind the intrusion, as it would help me better grasp what you're about.

sicario - 10/10

Need to see this. have only heard great things.

i had some bad things to say about it on bdb, it got spoilers though:

sicario - i've now seen four of his last films and every single of them was utter shit. every single time i questioned myself and thought "hmm, maybe i'm wrong about him and the critics are right" and endured yet another one of his horribly written, utterly contrived and overwrought cinematic excrements. it's like he simply doesn't get what cinema is supposed to be. he somehow gets to hire good actors, cinematographers, composers etc, but simply doesn't know what the fuck to do with them as they get lost in his stupid direction and idiotic writing (not his duties, but still).

what is the point of a 15 minute segment of a motorcade going into one direction and then back? that gorgeous but yet again completely pointless shot of marines going into the sunset, it's just laughably stupid, really something a cinematography freshman would proud himself on, why was it even used in that particular instance? the horribly conceived exposition with regards to del toro's character's motives before he goes rambo on the final boss, which is guarded by a whooping 5 people. and emily blunt's job is to just act totally appalled and bewildered at how morally/legally problematic this whole ordeal is without expressing anything else during the whole film, as if her character lives in some alternate reality where everything proceeds exactly by the books. the stupid traffic-esque intervention of "but look at how the other side is experiencing it". the whole thing just reeks of self importance and utter banality when it comes to its message or opinion or whatever it even is. "oh look how horrible it all is (all while sort of glorifying and feeding off this violence for cinematic purposes) and how america is probably bad too".

I thought Sicario was very good. The main selling points are the cinematography and the tense 'build-up' scenes which I thought were both very effective.

I liked Emily Blunt as the audience's avatar, outraged but ultimately powerless at shady deals unfolding. Del Toro did a lot with very little, wish they had had more scenes together actually.

Not sure what amazing revelations you were expecting from a film of this type. I mean - just because it isn't Michael Bay-level dumb doesn't mean it isn't ultimately entertainment.

kaufman is an incredible writer. i think synecdoche suffered from the editing. the pacing is all slow, as though each of the many parts were on display. it should have had a largely frantic pace, rushing through everything then culminating in the ridiculous ending. whoever was editing was being too precious because it was kaufman's directorial debut, and kaufman himself didn't have the detached perspective yet to see that there was too much breathing room in the final cut. i think they edited it a ton, like they went through dozens of different versions before arriving at the final one. the film was originally supposed to be directed by spike jonze, so i think when writing it kaufman was kind of relying on jonze's sensibility to stylize it into his own thing, as he does. still a good film, just doesn't grab you by the head as many kaufman films do.

must sees by him:

eternal sunshine

being john malkovich

adaptation

human nature

i.e., all of them with the exception of synedoche for the reason stated above and confessions of a dangerous mind which clooney (directing) failed to see the point of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT6QJaS2a-U

Edited by very honest

White Bird in a Blizzard - Araki takes us on a fanboy 80s nostalgia american dream mixed with a bit of Daniel Clowes sexuality exploration. Only watched it as I have the soundtrack.

LeadnakedfirmtitsnotmywordsbutThomasJane's/10

Hateful Eight/10 - has Tarantino done so much social commentary before? The tide in Hollywood seems to be turning against letting him use the N word so much, but here it served a purpose. The racial divide in America is addressed thru allegory, and effectively so. Kurt Russell is always great, and Sam Jackson as well in the hands of the right writer. John Dykstra & Greg Nicotero providing makeup and visual effects, Ennio Morricone doing haunting strings, you can't go wrong. And the ending...

Using Lincoln as the voice of reason in the 21st Century was a bit heavy handed, but effective as a message from the Director on his views of our modern problems. Even if the letter was fake.

The Dreamer/Walt Before Mickey: One of the most awful, boring, stupidly paced, bad acted, shit script, idiot music, I've ever seen. 0/10

Walt should have started a scientology type cult. Then someone would go to see and enjoy that film, heheh.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. the most annoying movie I've seen in ages. eeeeveryone is a prick in this film. fuck this thing.

Spectre - 7/10 Not as bad as everyone made it out to be. I liked that they're tying together a continuous narrative, as part 5 is rumored to be the finale of Daniel Craig's Bond cycle. It did have too many ridiculous leaps in logic, and a few coincidences plotwise. To me it seemed...

Blofeld crawling from the helicopter wreckage meant he'll be in his trademark wheelchair in the next film. This cycle seems to be all about fathers, sons and brothers. I liked seeing Ralph Fiennes do some action since he's been relegated to senior roles now.

The intro sequence is one of the best in Bond's history, recapping the previous films during the credits. This version of James is a poisonous element to the people in his life, they all end up dead because of him, but he doesn't see that. I'm not sure what his motivation is anymore, revenge can only get you so far.

Sicario 7/10 - Good but not great. Not sure keeping the viewer in the dark for so long serves as a decent narrative. Great visual style with the net curtain shots and helicopter shots. Made me want to watch the sublime Enemy again.