generic superhero action movie #54 - pretty generic, big face-off scene in the middle at the airport was boring me to tears, terribly written as well, 90% of the witty banter fell completely flat.

'71 - Really tense 8/10

2 quality follow on viewings if you got into these themes on The Troubles:

Hidden Agenda & Harry's Game (ok a tv mini-series for the latter)....maybe not as explosive but both ratchet up the tension expertly

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099768/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084053/

Edited by cwmbrancity

its far from perfect, but it still oozes a darkly paranoid charm

Cassavetes does the twitchy duplicitous hubby to perfection (read somewhere Robert Redford was the original casting choice, imagine that if you can) and Ruth Gordon is in finest fettle. She rocks in Harold and Maude (by Hal Ashby), well worth a watch too.

Carol - Some lovely cinematography and music, but dragged a bit towards the end and I lost interest, the curiosity and initial attraction between the two of them was enough to keep me interested at the start, but once they went on their road trip the connection between them started to seem fairly superficial and uninteresting, not sure if that was down to poor acting, writing, or directing, but it lost me either way.

Cassavetes does the twitchy duplicitous hubby to perfection (read somewhere Robert Redford was the original casting choice, imagine that if you can) and Ruth Gordon is in finest fettle. She rocks in Harold and Maude (by Hal Ashby), well worth a watch too.

Rosemary's Baby fails to make what happens to the main character look inescapable enough for the movie to really work for me. I suppose you could explain that as Satan's little helpers selecting a complete pushover for the job (or turning her into one) but the fact remains that it doesn't make for a very tense movie, when it could have been terrifying. I've always liked Repulsion better because Carol is so much more interesting. You guys made me remember I still haven't seen The Tenant, time to move that one up a couple of places on the backlog.

Rosemary's Baby

Hail satan! And hail bad acting!

???? the acting is amazing wtf

I knew I was gonna stir up some shit by commenting on Rosemary's Baby, hehe. So I'm gonna continue. I thought it sucked.

*and the gasp of every WATMM'er was heard throughout the entire galaxy*

Rosemary's Baby fails to make what happens to the main character look inescapable enough for the movie to really work for me. I suppose you could explain that as Satan's little helpers selecting a complete pushover for the job (or turning her into one) but the fact remains that it doesn't make for a very tense movie, when it could have been terrifying. I've always liked Repulsion better because Carol is so much more interesting. You guys made me remember I still haven't seen The Tenant, time to move that one up a couple of places on the backlog.

comparing the more overt "Horror" depicted in RB to the taut deeply psycho-sexual thriller that lurks in Repulsion doesnt really equate, other than the director involved who pitches fairly different tones in both. Side by side, one is sensational (RB), while the other delves into far deeper psychological recesses (Repulsion). Dont know if you've seen Polanksi's horror comedy The Fearless Vampire Killers, which is a kitsch olde romp in itself and as different again as the 2 mentioned above.

granted, Mia Farrow's doomed journey doesnt have quite the resonant magnitude of say Edward Woodward's copper in The Wicker Man, but its still right up there imho. Repulsion is def a class above doe and CD is beyond scrumptious too, dare i say insanely hot, which adds to the swirl of wtf (eg the scene with those hands reaching out the corridor walls). Def check out The Tenant, but it might disappoint if you compare it directly to Repulsion.

Rosemary's Baby

Hail satan! And hail bad acting!

???? the acting is amazing wtf

I knew I was gonna stir up some shit by commenting on Rosemary's Baby, hehe. So I'm gonna continue. I thought it sucked.

*and the gasp of every WATMM'er was heard throughout the entire galaxy*

You're allowed to be wrong. I've already forgiven you.

High-Rise ..... tedious as fuck & Tom Hiddlestone doesnt cut it, almost catches that cement stench of brutal post-war architecture/Clockwork Orange moral societal squalor, but by 40mins = who cares.

Dont think Mr Ballard would've been impressed & most of Ben Wheatley's other gear has been fairly solid.

bank holiday morning meh better off taking the dog down by the sea/10

shit, I was looking forward to that. I'll still check it out.

The Witch - hail Satan/10. gotdamn I'm sick of cinema audiences though. half the crowd was too stupid/impatient for this movie and tense moments were ruined by guffawing and hurrdurring at inappropriate moments.

METALLICA THROUGH THE NEVER

what is the point in this film, i honestly can't believe how bad this was.

^ Well that's disappointing.

shit, I was looking forward to that. I'll still check it out.

maybe grip the novel and have a peruse.....its savagely stark and the descent into class-chaos is detailed with malevolent glee, which is where the filem adaptation starts to breaks down

..Dear, oh dear..Nimrod (Antal) really directed this? Ouch...Kontroll was/is such a wonderful film.

..Dear, oh dear..Nimrod (Antal) really directed this? Ouch...Kontroll was/is such a wonderful film.

wow spot on ive actually got kontroll