Bone Tomahawk is pretty neat if you grew up watching video nasties and spaghetti westerns. 7/10

Been watching random and not so random stuff on TV and/or on demand.

Jurassic World - finally watched this a couple days ago after re-watching the original and first two sequels quite a bit over the last weeks. Wasn't bad, actually enjoyed it. I liked the distance it gave between it and the original film, it was interesting how "nostalgic" it was to revisit within the fictional universe.

Doctor Zhivago - Beautiful epic, and being about Russia during the Revolution, appropriately tragic with just a glimmer of a bittersweet ending. Same director as Bridge Over River Kwai, a favorite of mine.

Sniper - the 1993 film, not American Sniper which I've been avoiding ( I don't think I'll like it much from what I've read, the hype, etc. and know about the actual guy but hope to get to eventually ). ANYWAY this is a strange film, melodramatic and the plot/dialogue is a bit hokey but it's actually a decent war / action movie. Far less violent and needlessly action packed as I expected, more decent tension build up than straight up gun-slinging. It's interesting to see how Hollywood would make such "contemporary" fictional films paralleling to then current events.

Die Hard - finally saw this after re-watching the Bob's Burgers episode which features a musical of it. Goddamn what a fun film.

YOYm2ZC.png

this seemed (at many times) like a shot for shot remake of the original- but it lacked the mystery and freshness (obviously) that the original had so what was the point? to add a few scenes where the older sister walks around with a cell phone that keeps glitching?

Aye, just reinforces how bland a lot of these films are now too. So many neat little character quirks have vanished, watching it back seeing the parents get stoned is great.

Coherence, entertaining and at times pretty clever, the ending is dumb and so is the camerawork. Still, if you're in the mood for a good episode of the twillight zone this should do the trick. Watchable/10

10 Cloverfield Lane - This was not very good at all. I really liked the concept, but John Goodman was miscast, MEW is a bore and that ending was shite.

it's a pointless and stupid piece of shit, not just "not good".

"is he a good guy? nope, he's not. no, wait, he's actually a good guy just a little messed up. oh no, he's actually a totally bad guy. 15 minutes of 2005's war of the worlds. the end."

there's no suspense or mystery (did they really hope to fool someone that it's not about alien invasion but used a Cloverfield™® name?) or a real tension about it at all. just a pointless and thoughtless artificial stitching of 2 genres into one film that's somehow supposed to pass for originality.

Edited by eugene

Batman and robin is my favorite batman movie because everything is cheesy, candy-colored, gay and on fire all at the same time. Fuck gritty realism. I don't think Nolan has ever read a comic book because Schumacher gets a whole lot closer

Batman comics have been like the Nolan movies for 30 years, man. They are grey, miserable and brooding for the most part. When Batman & Robin came out I'm p sure the main storyline was an apocalyptic plague hitting Gotham and killing hundreds of thousands or something.

Schumacher was way out of touch with comics compared to Burton and Nolan.

Edited by doublename

Batman comics have been like the Nolan movies for 30 years, man. They are grey, miserable and brooding for the most part. When Batman & Robin came out I'm p sure the main storyline was an apocalyptic plague hitting Gotham and killing hundreds of thousands or something.

the Contagion storyline! I have that, it was good.

Philip Roth's A.P.E.X.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.P.E.X.

Took me back to a time when I would rent out b-movies from the video shop by the bucket load. Any film that starts with a robotic voice introduction is onto a winner, then add a paradox time line story, robots, fit wife, aggressive chief and subtle nuances to popular culture of the early 1990s then my eyes are staying for the duration. The 3D bits are dated but the headset could be a rival to the latest offerings this year. Early 1990s cinematography in it's 4:3 format can be quite jarring at times and the films can feel quite enclosed. It even has the graffiti tag "PHUQU" which made me laugh.

OldLosAngelesPhuqU/10

this was streaming in chatmm's dubtrack a while back, I found it pretty much unwatchably awful I have to say, and I have a high tollerance for shitty movies. there were a few funny/awful bits, but not enough to make it worth watching properly.

I saw this on dubtrack as well. I kept thinking of when i saw the first Terminator at the age of 13 and wished the whole movie was set in the future. I didn't care for 80's LA or time travel romances. This was kind of like how I imagined that to be. The CGI was horribly dated but it was certainly watchable, if only for the nostalgic satisfaction of a typical early 90's b-film dystopia with cool soldiers.

Schumacher was way out of touch with comics compared to Burton and Nolan.

well then i wish batman comics were as campy and gay as the schumacher movies

Guest bitroast

rewatched The Avengers. is alright but didn't hold up nearly as much as the first viewing. maybe guardians of the galaxy + antman + winter soldier spoiled me a bit. not saying those are amazing films but they felt slightly more grounded and relatable than this. character interaction scenes aside this is largely a cgi fuckfest with videogame big boss the good guys have to 'get'. trash, but mildly enjoyable trash.

this was followed by watching The Avengers 2 More Avengers. pretty much the same as the first but with more crap thrown in. trash, but enjoyable trash, ... slightly less enjoyable trash. the scenes with the avenger good guys doing action things almost felt like it was inspired by youtube lets plays. iron mans little commentary remarks just reminded me of some guy playing counterstrike or lol or something 'alright team, lets pull back. enemies blasting us from the rear.' bla bla bla. pretty boring tbh.

the cgi is also laughably bad in a good chunk of avengers 2.

Edited by AutoLog StatCenter