it lacks the humour that all of his other movies had

I usually don't like Jamie Foxx, but I thought he was hilarious and I have a soft spot for Jon Hamm.

For war films Come And See as a possible contender for transcendental, plus The Ascent (1977, think the 2 directors might have even been married at one point)

They both have such force and subtlety, The Ascent is maybe the better film & story, the kind that stays with you from that point on, cinematography like The Passenger (1975) although thats an identity war

Come And See, even with the political baggage its relentless in a way i dunno if the west has ever really matched, 2-D bs like "Where Eagles Dare" cos you get Burton & Clint & skullduggery & millions of dead SS, or Zulu cos guns vs animal hide-shields & local regiments slaughtering thousands of human beings is fair do's, childhood morality is obviously naively elastic

The Eyes of My Mother.

my nibbas, this was great. one of the best horror films I've seen recently. for what it set out to do, I have a hard time faulting it for anything - story, pacing, acting, direction, score, cinematography, all tight and in just the right balance. the ending could have been a bit more developed, I guess. but it gets to you in a way that many other films which might cover the same subject matter would fail to, through its reserve and naturalistic direction. and it's this director's first effort! I'm keeping an eye on this guy.

Saw this with my mother... She was well disturbed from it and praised it heaps.

Wonder woman. Saw this whilst the girlfriend was having a haircut, picked it over spider man, coz you know - I didn't give a monkeys sack. Anyway, who's bright ideas was it to have Ares fashion that stupid moustache, that ruined the whole God damn experience for me, that and "men are only needed for reproduction, but not for pleasure" crap from the wonder herself, what an asshole!

3/5

Edited by sine nomine

For war films Come And See as a possible contender for transcendental, plus The Ascent (1977, think the 2 directors might have even been married at one point)

They both have such force and subtlety, The Ascent is maybe the better film & story, the kind that stays with you from that point on, cinematography like The Passenger (1975) although thats an identity war

Come And See, even with the political baggage its relentless in a way i dunno if the west has ever really matched, 2-D bs like "Where Eagles Dare" cos you get Burton & Clint & skullduggery & millions of dead SS, or Zulu cos guns vs animal hide-shields & local regiments slaughtering thousands of human beings is fair do's, childhood morality is obviously naively elastic

Come and see is by far the best war movie ever. There is no political ballast, it's plain reality. That droning recon plane, the families in the marshes, the sinister partizans... I've seen it once and the images were literally imprinted in me. edit: the SU authorities didn't want to release it at first.

Edited by Godwin Austen

The Ardennes - thought this was going to develop into a Once Upon A Time in Belgium but it went into murdering psycho mode. Loved the gabba and hardstyle bits in the car though, good to hear that music get exposure in mainstream. 

Any Belgians care to comment on how this film was received over there? I'm guessing some Guy Ritchie apathy went on. 

The Director's first short is here - Plan B..

Dunkirk

I never got into this and can't imagine being moved to tears by it (not because it isn't an emotional subject but purely personally it somehow failing to engage me). It was so fleeting and felt so light. (even though it's portraying dramatic sequences). I loved its cinematography and its purity in only focussing on the British and French, the nazis only referred to as 'the enemy', keeping dialogue to a minimum and trying to just place you in there and capture it occurring, but I never really felt the enormity of the threat. I didn't care about the characters. It's pure mood and ambience which I should love and do, but there's a series of survival sequences that I'd have been engaged with more had it been more conservative in its structure, and use of time, and development of characters. This is a far more grounded and real film than something like Brotherhood of War, that's so Hollywood and cheesy in comparison, but God was I holding back the tears by its very manipulative end with its outpouring of emotion and grief. 

Also, not meaning to moan about something that seems unimportant but the picture not fitting the frame of the screen prevented the unadulterated immersion that this film really requires. 

The score is fantastic, reminiscent of Greenwood's for There Will Be Blood maybe in its screeching horror, but in the latter half I did find it too overbearing and constant.

I did though like how it suddenly stopped with Styles on the train and you really notice it

I don't click with Nolan for whatever reason. I think the constant music has a certain effect - I thought this about TDK too in the way that it suspends you in a place where it's like nothing is playing out in real time. It's like being trapped in a trailer. I got it from the film Confessions too, you can't breathe, in that there's no simple scenes of people doing simple things, everything is shown as an aside, or memory, or in the past, with jarring music playing over the top, it gets tiring after a while. Dunkirk isn't anywhere near like that, but I'd have preferred a longer film that by its end really felt like you'd lived through a whole week of struggle rather than 40 minutes. Use the time to develop the key characters more earlier on. It was so fast moving, when the credits rolled I just thought 'is that it?', like one the greatest evacuations in history described as a miracle felt like not much at all.

6/10 probably

Hell or High Water (2016) -  Slick Southwestern Noir/heist film with a cool Nick Cave/Warren Ellis score. I really enjoyed this as an addition to the genre. It drops couple of clangers hitting its themes embarrassingly hard (the camera pans slowly over a bit of graffiti that says something like: "three tours in Iraq, but no bailout for folk like us"). 

Edited by doublename

Come and see is by far the best war movie ever. There is no political ballast, it's plain reality. That droning recon plane, the families in the marshes, the sinister partizans... I've seen it once and the images were literally imprinted in me. edit: the SU authorities didn't want to release it at first.

Int it, the corpses piled behind the one village you get the barest of glimpses of, that droning recon (acoustically unnerving as fuck), the paratroopers in the woods, the rape of that magnificent blond, the marshes (<<<<<big ptsd trigger) jesus christ its full on and thats b4 the SS-Regiment even arrives in town, from there it gets even better. I read once Kilmov (sp?) wanted to call it Kill Hitler.....it might've even been on the dvd extra disc bits, interviews with cast & crew that in itself was immense given the politics of the SU at the time. Something to be watched every 5 years or so as a reminder that cinema isnt all super-hero bs and also because its designed to lurk in your psyche for periods afterwards. Watching it should be part of every school curriculum somewhere.

If you love this and havent tried The Ascent yet, its equally evocative but more metaphysical, asks so many unanswered questions and leaves you with the fate of these 2 partizans and all their hopes at the intersection between terror and transcendental rapture, not quite as muscular as Come And See, but just as visceral and haunting.

War of the Planet of the Apes - YES! Fuck all other blockbuster movies/10

I'm drinking red wine, and it has taken me precisely about 20 minutes to correctly reply to this post to say (don't fuck it up now!!! for the 13th time!! ffs)

That I'm Going To See This Tomorrow And VerY Much looking FOrwaaard To It....AS I ENjoyyed The Other 2 |Films A Lot

Phew and Thank God For ThaT

Edited by beerwolf

Int it, the corpses piled behind the one village you get the barest of glimpses of, that droning recon (acoustically unnerving as fuck), the paratroopers in the woods, the rape of that magnificent blond, the marshes (<<<<<big ptsd trigger) jesus christ its full on and thats b4 the SS-Regiment even arrives in town, from there it gets even better. I read once Kilmov (sp?) wanted to call it Kill Hitler.....it might've even been on the dvd extra disc bits, interviews with cast & crew that in itself was immense given the politics of the SU at the time. Something to be watched every 5 years or so as a reminder that cinema isnt all super-hero bs and also because its designed to lurk in your psyche for periods afterwards. Watching it should be part of every school curriculum somewhere.

If you love this and havent tried The Ascent yet, its equally evocative but more metaphysical, asks so many unanswered questions and leaves you with the fate of these 2 partizans and all their hopes at the intersection between terror and transcendental rapture, not quite as muscular as Come And See, but just as visceral and haunting.

I'll definitely check The Ascent, it looks interesting. I like Soviet films, so you're welcome if you have any more recommendations. You probably heard about Mikhail Kalatozov? Not exactly as unforgiving as the above mentioned, but nevertheless excellent storytelling.

Extortion - 3/5

This was surprisingly well made I thought. Co staring Barkhad Abdi speaking some broken Spanish and accidentally killing someone dear, Danny glover in a Carribean lethal weapon thing he did was aight I guess though kind of a nuisance actually. Basically a couple of unexpected moments made this movie watchable. The suspense also good, here and there.

War of the Planet of the Apes - YES! Fuck all other blockbuster movies/10

I'm drinking red wine, and it has taken me precisely about 20 minutes to correctly reply to this post to say (don't fuck it up now!!! for the 13th time!! ffs)

That I'm Going To See This Tomorrow And VerY Much looking FOrwaaard To It....AS I ENjoyyed The Other 2 |Films A Lot

Phew and Thank God For ThaT

Nailed it

I watched Evil Dead 2 this morning after not having seen it since I was like 17 or something. Even sillier than I remember. Moments of actual good/creepy/interesting shots all mixed into a live action cartoon horror schlock fest. Weird experience. Not enjoyable really though  :cat:

I was ready to do a high five, but you fucked everything up royally in your last sentence.