the kindergarten teacher (u.s. remake) - very nice. comparing it to the original - the core is intact, the script is engaging intellectually (that is if you're interested in topics such as artistry and its adoration, talent, its cultivation, pretense and so on) and its trademark feel that is kinda creepy, kinda cringey, unsettling and tense all at the same time is there. but the original's annoying euro-art-fag mannerisms are subdued, it's generally softer and more approachable, there's actually a soundtrack and some nice cinematography, and gyllenhaal is a stronger actress that can carry such a complex role much better. although some interesting elements are cut off. it's simpler, but more focused and emotionally more potent due to those changes.

Mandy
Overall I really apprieciate its exsistence, but I couldn't help leaving the cinema with slightly less exuberance than I thought I would be...but I think when you build up to something it can never answer your expectations, and its a different experience watching it in a packed cinema where people are laughing/reacting to things you may not usually at home so it throws your perceptions off a bit. But the more I look back on it the more I smile and think how cool it was. Having said that, I think it jumps too far ahead of itself too early, and could have done with a more gradual rise, but thats just like nit-picking a dream, a silly thing to do, so i'm just looking forward to the next time I see it again!

Upgrade
Pretty decent sci-fi/action/body horror - nice to see they are till making them in this day and age

Thelma & Louise
Pretty decent, shame the ending is so well known. Always a pleasure to watch Susan :)

seen avengers talked about around here. fell asleep watching it. also, did anyone else have trouble seeing it? Like all those spaceship background and action backgrounds were like the same visual style as all the body armer and outfits and honestly, I had trouble just dintisguishing the characters from the background, and I'm not being metaphorical there.

Those movies are mostly a blur of metallic reflections, explosions and brightly coloured heroes bouncing around.

Sorry To Bother You. really wanted to like it, first half was pretty solid and genuinely funny, then

the fucking horse-men thing and all the other mounting stupidity

just ruined it.

Halloween (2018) - kind of boring unfortunately, looked low budget, way too much talky exposition in the first hour. It just never seemed to achieve any dramatic tension, everyone just kind of walked around waiting to get killed with a knife. Jamie Lee Curtis was good, but most of the cast seemed lifeless and not super committed to the roles. The music was by far my favorite part, Carpenter got to reimagine some themes, and his trio provided a great synth score.

*Also, I can't believe they're actually making Happy Death Day 2

The Grey - nice atmosphere and nature visuals

A Walk Among the Tombstones - solid crime movie, nice cinematography

City of Tiny Lights - pretty cool camera and effects that you rarely see made use of in that way, story was solid, recommendable

Apostle - have seen worse

Halloween (2018).

He's escaped again. No, really.

This was better than I thought it would be. Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty good in the role that defined her career. Great opening credit sequence you'll enjoy if you're familiar with the 1978 film.

On the downside, I don't know how scary a masked man wielding a kitchen knife really is in this day and age with so many slasher films out here - ironically 99% of them descendants from this movie. However, it's done pretty effectively here.

8/10

has anyone been following the Dau film project shit? It's supposed to come out this fall and damn I need to see it. Probably something eugene would like.

it’s basically IRL Synechdoche New York. I don’t think they can (or want, at least subconsciously) actually release the films.

I somehow got a job in the project a year ago, when it was originally planned to premiere in Berlin inside a Russian version of Banksy’s Dismalland. They failed to deliver due to mismanagement. Then the project went stealth for a year. They reworked the theme park concept, and failed again this year (due to mismanagement).

To my knowledge, the films still aren’t fully edited and localized.

It’s an interesting project if you view it from a media arts perspective, where it’s an ongoing process which you can experience if you get a job at Phenomen Films.

It can be quite intense that way, being immersed in the borderline religious post production process. You’ll be immersed in the illusion of working on something truly special, keeps you on the edge. Information is spread by rumors, there’s an ambience of paranoia and general “wtf”.

The release of the films is just a ruse, if it ever happens it’s going to be a fart in the wind.

TLDR if you’re interested in the project try and get a job there I don’t think the films will ever come out.

Just watched hereditary broken up over 3 sessions (inflight entertainment... pretty crazy that's an option really)

I really liked it . I thought it was cast very well

... Colette .. was good but dunno .. either I was out of the film or it seemed at times a bit overdone

.. the boy ... thought he was really good for 99% of the film except when he was crying like a little baby or saying mummy. Now I can't say I've ever been in his exact situation but I dunno , I don't think 17 year olds go "waaaa waaaa" when they're scared - but again - haven't been in his exact situation so maybe it was appropriate

8/10

I thought Colette was pretty great. That dinner table scene when she blows the fuck up on her son was pretty damn brutal.

It got hokey during some of the seance shit I guess. But overall, thought she was strong. 

The teenage crying was awful. Director should have shot a couple more takes. Again, during the one seance scene towards the end. It was a tense scene that ended up with me loling at the terrible crying.

I thought the acting was good, the

satanic cult twist

is what really let me down.