26 minutes ago, iococoi said:

it was shot in 16mm - that*s where this graininess comes from. 

image.png.fc0c96bf181699acbac68f811f61467b.png

yeah I guessed its on purpose didn't make the movie look better in cinema

Good trailer, but I can't get too excited about a horror movie called Donglengs.

They All Laughed, Directed by Peter Bogdanovich

Excellent date night movie, superb cast, amusing plot: takes place in NYC in 1980, and there is a detective service that rich men use to verify whether or not their wives or girlfriends are cheating on them. Trouble is that the detectives end up falling for the women that they are hired to follow. There are lots of romantic pairs throughout the film, but the John Ritter and Dorothy Stratten pairing is my favorite. Stratten was a playboy bunny before becoming an actor, and she was unfortunately murdered by her husband (who killed himself immediately after) upon finding out that she was cheating on him with Bogdanovich. Such a strange reflection of the film plot itself. This is one of Audrey Hepburn's last films, and she is just as stylish, cool, and charming as in her most iconic roles in spite of getting a little bit older. Ben Gazzara is her love interest, and I thought that his performance was the only weak one in the film, although it is not terrible. Later found out that he was suffering from a very serious depressive episode during the entire shoot, but Bogdanovich continually persuaded him to continue. I do not like country music all that much, but the soundtrack works really well throughout.

The sound mixing is also very good for its time imo. The cinematography is very fluid, and we are constantly moving between indoor and outdoor spaces, with NYC streets being very lively and often loud when it comes to sound, and the sound editing and mixing handles these transitions very nicely.

Does not appear to be on any streaming, but there is fortunately a pretty solid rip on YouTube, hopefully it stays up:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

🤢🤮

Why does anyone think this is a good idea? I hope the first one is so bad that the producers and studios get buried and it sends a memo to Hollywood not to commit to shit like that anymore.

Edited by J3FF3R00
"?"
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

🤢🤮

Why does anyone think this is a good idea? I hope the first one is so bad that the producers and studios get buried and it sends a memo to Hollywood not to commit to shit like that anymore.

First, Mendes made Spectre, his judgement is questionable. Second, The Beatles were too big for one movie, but 4 movies is masturbatory. Make it 2 films, Part One: The Mod Beatles. Part Two: The Psych Beatles, which ends with the rooftop concert. Anything after that point is irrelevant to the group. I'd like to see Terry Gilliam take a swing at it, since he was close to George, plus imagine the Beatles on LSD under his direction.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The Beatles were too big for one movie, but 4 movies is masturbatory.

idk, maybe they also need a fifth movie about the group masturbation incident(s?). 

1 hour ago, iococoi said:

That actually sounds like a better movie. He had a fascinating / complicated life that would make a better story than the individual Beatles, imo.
 Of the four, probably John has the most interesting story (followed by George, then ringo, then Paul… his movie will be the most boring by far), but ultimately, I don’t care to see some rando actor try and fail at capturing even the shadow of the enigma of a truly singular human being.

it is also a bit like watching a very similar story 4 times:  kid from Liverpool loves Elvis … kid joins the Beatles and becomes wildly famous / changes the world… becomes a bit of a rich prick when they get older. Only, one gets shot at the end and another gets stabbed but dies of cancer. 

Edited by J3FF3R00

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

but ultimately, I don’t care to see some rando actor try and fail at capturing even the shadow of the enigma of a truly singular human being

Tilda Swinton plays all of them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

30 minutes ago, Squee said:

Tilda Swinton plays all of them. 

you joke but don't forget there is that fucking awful Bob Dylan movie where he's played by multiple actors including Cate Blanchett and a small black boy. so this kind of absurd pretension is not out of the realms of possibility for Hollywood.

5 minutes ago, usagi said:

you joke but don't forget there is that fucking awful Bob Dylan movie where he's played by multiple actors including Cate Blanchett and a small black boy. so this kind of absurd pretension is not out of the realms of possibility for Hollywood.

Rami Malek confirmed to play all four Beatles.

IMG_2192.jpeg

• Farnsworth 1

Whoever they get needs to be legit scouse. It’s such a part of their charm. Hearing actors do a fake Liverpool accent for 8+ hours is going to be torture. 

6 hours ago, usagi said:

She also played three characters including the old man in the Suspiria remake. She also played mother and daughter in Eternal Daughter and siblings in Hail Caesar, Sonja, and many more. 

ugh…

1 hour ago, Squee said:

She also played three characters including the old man in the Suspiria remake. She also played mother and daughter in Eternal Daughter and siblings in Hail Caesar, Sonja, and many more. 

ugh…

guess where else she surprisingly showed up, I was rewatching Broken Flowers and she was Bill Murray's last ex. I had completely forgotten, or maybe I'd watched it back when she hadn't really registered for me.

MV5BZGZhN2I0NGUtZmE3Ny00NWQwLWFiN2MtYTlk

FOUR MORE YEARS (of maximum Tilda saturation)

36 minutes ago, usagi said:

guess where else she surprisingly showed up, I was rewatching Broken Flowers and she was Bill Murray's last ex. I had completely forgotten, or maybe I'd watched it back when she hadn't really registered for me.

MV5BZGZhN2I0NGUtZmE3Ny00NWQwLWFiN2MtYTlk

FOUR MORE YEARS (of maximum Tilda saturation)

GOOD GOD, MAN!

The only way for these movies to be interesting is if they present all the crazy Beatles conspiracies as factual events.