IGNORED

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

cear

Half of the Rephlex roster puts out braindance so generic that WATMM can't even tell who's who, and Drukqs and The Tuss did it better. :cisfor:

This was probably more what I was trying to say, actually.

Anyway, I'll never change anyone's opinions. I'm just surprised at the negative reactions.

Half of the Rephlex roster puts out braindance so generic that WATMM can't even tell who's who, and Drukqs and The Tuss did it better. :cisfor:

You have a point. There is a big difference still - the Rephlex stuff is part of an ongoing scene/development, made by unknowns in their bedrooms on amateur budgets.

Daft Punk, on the other hand, is one of the world's most lauded artists, with million dollar budgets and a seemingly unlimited access to legendary collaborators. Yet they end up recreating an orthodox form of disco that has been frozen in ice for the last 30 years.

Daft Punk, on the other hand, is one of the world's most lauded artists, with million dollar budgets and a seemingly unlimited access to legendary collaborators. Yet they end up recreating an orthodox form of disco that has been frozen in ice for the last 30 years.

But isn't that the whole problem with bands like this? The reason they have million dollar budgets and access to legendary collaborators is because they have huge audiences that have to be catered for by producing the stuff that attempts to appeal to everyone and ends up pleasing no one.

Having said that, I quite like this. Whoever mentioned Daft Punk in the Boards thread, thanks.

Edited by fumi

And BoC's style has been done better in the 70s by German electronic musicans. Yet everyone still loves them.

there's definitely a huge difference.

BOC may certainly incorporate elements of various electronic music styles from bygone days but their overall work achieves something unique and original. they have a signature sound and there's no denying it. one would never mistake a BOC track for an harmonia track.

the daft punk record, whether you love it or hate it, is more along the lines of a tribute band where they've deliberately attempted not to sound unique or original but instead sound as much like a particular style as possible. one could easily mistake this for numerous disco/funk records from the 70s.

in short, it's entirely derivative and decadent.

in conclusion, ZOLE

I'm still not ready to judge the album as a whole. So far, I love Get Lucky and Doing It Right.

the song Touch is so bad, it makes me cringe. The rest is somewhere in between. There are some decent tracks. Whoever is loving Game of Love needs to have their head checked. It's like all elements of a classic Daft Punk track constructed in a way as to achieve the least desirable result.

This is one strange and perplexing album.

Reminds me of Alan Parsons Project's 70s stuff in parts.

The problem is exactly this - all of the album has been done before, and much better.

Bingo. My favorite song off the album was actually "Touch" which I think is one of their best songs ever, but that's the one exception and even then I feel like so many contemporary artists have put out better "epic" tracks with a similar aesthetic (the prog and jazz rock referencing). M83 in particular comes to mind. I think this album was a sincere effort, but it still seems to lack passion that they had earlier. In fact, I'd go as far to say the songwriting and structures of these songs is generally the best and most complex they've done, they just aren't as engaging or exciting.

As for the lamer tracks, they've been guilty of the vocoder + cheesy synthpop formula before but it was just the perfect amount in the past ("Something About Us," "Digital Love"), but it sounds more ridiculous than ever on this album. I suppose that's the pitfall of more or less trademarking* a sound within pop culture. The dance songs are just a bit too tame, I really wanted some of their sidechain goodness. "Get Lucky" is catchy as fuck but so is LMFAO's "Party Rockers" or Black Eye Peas' "Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night."

*I know they didn't invent it but they definitively are known for it more than any other musician.

Last 60 seconds or so are pretty decent, the rest is so bland I can't even begin to comprehend it. Had to take two breaks just to get through the album. Note to self: Never play again.

"Contact" is the only track that sounded as I hoped it would. I had a very specific hope that they'd take some of the musical highlights from the Tron OST and use such aesthetic, merge it with their brilliant house beats, and maybe a good sample surprise here or there. I dunno, something that was akin to Com Truise with an orchestra. I think the initial recordings were actually like that as they said they grew tired of using synths and samples. Instead they went the other extreme as said "We like Steely Dan* and 70s FM music so let's play with our idols in a live studio and make dad rock."

I hope that they'll eventually return to more of that purely mechanical sound in their beats and synth leads. Perhaps they'll take the songs from Random Access Memories into awesome live tracks as they did with Human After All's material.

*For the the record I fucking love Steely Dan

Me too, but are we really comparing this tepid pastiche to Steely Dan?

Me too, but are we really comparing this tepid pastiche to Steely Dan?

Yeah, I like a couple of tracks on this but its quality is nowhere near Steely Dan.

Actually, with all the dough they had for this album, they probably could have hired Fagen & Becker to play on it.

hilarious review called 'the album that changed the world'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tommie-sunshine/assessment-reection-on-th_b_3271805.html

"The Album That Changed Our World"

- Tommie Sunshine

Tommie-Sunshine.jpg

tommy+sunshine.JPG

...someone please tell me he's an alter-ego of Chad Kroeger

or Eric Wareheim...

0.jpg

Edited by joshuatx

from listening to this album and reading watmm opinions, it seems to me that the remix potential of this whole album may be the keystone

Chilly Gonzales on the potential impact of Random Access Memories: "It will lead many musicians out of the cul-de-sac they currently face. And those that do not understand will be cursed to make disposable music on laptops forever

This whole album discussion on the internet is absolutly ridiculous.

I think the only explanation for this album is where you here it, in my case driving near the ocean in a cabrio with my girlfriends tits in my face.

Guest ZombieLincoln666

The album is fucking kitsch garbage. The journalists who are trying to make Daft Punk out to be innovators are morons who know nothing about the history of house music. Even their old albums were nothing more than samples of entire funk/disco choruses with a minimal amount of work done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwholYaw1Pw

So excuse me if hearing all this nonsense about how they are going to 'give life back to music' (or more accurately, muzak) makes me want to vomit. To top it off, they still have to rely on multiple collaboraters to write music.

Edited by ZombieLincoln666

The album is fucking kitsch garbage. The journalists who are trying to make Daft Punk out to be innovators are morons who know nothing about the history of house music. Even their old albums were nothing more than samples of entire funk/disco choruses with a minimal amount of work done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwholYaw1Pw

So excuse me if hearing all this nonsense about how they are going to 'give life back to music' (or more accurately, muzak) makes me want to vomit. To top it off, they still have to rely on multiple collaboraters to write music.

have you ever heard the absolutely badass vocalized breakdown at the end of HFBS? that makes the whole damn thing, the loop was just a lead up.

ever listen to rap?

fucking christ you guys, sometimes.