the scene with the glass box and cameras!!!....i can't remember being so scared 

overall, this is totally sick! next level weirdness. at moments even shocking 

Edited by xox

Yeah, low live audience numbers doesn't mean anything since viewing methods changed...and i can see why they've stuck the first 4 episodes out there as a starting point, good choice because this is something which shouldn't be rushed and go at it's own pace. Some best Lynch stuff is in these episodes, the ultra surreal to some of the funniest shit I've seen in ages. It settled down at the end into a bona fida mystery set up with some old faces. When i get spoiler tags working i'll post up my doppelganger theories with dougie. But we need to look deeper into Hawks heritage to find the real answers.

yeah the Dougie thing had me totally confused (it was great though), I thought I'd had everything figured out re Coop/Bob before that, but now I'm not so sure. I wonder if the thing Hawk has to find will solve "Dougie's" current predicament, or maybe he'll just gradually recover?

I first thought Dougie was a projection of evil Dale's imagination in his final moment (lost highway style) his worry about going back to the black lodge. an idea, somehow connected by their vomit. Then good Dale comes through the electrical socket and rather than project himself straight back into his body because evil Dale has created the projection of Dougie, he is diverted in some way. A man who is blank canvas but with a past (wife, baby, etc.)

Yeah i saw that that yesterday when i was looking up why he'd been replaced by a tree. Pity, but he was only an arm.

Edit: He was 'armless

The tree was cool though. Very creepy

Just finished episode 3.

Loved the reappearance of blue rose lady, and evil cooper chatting on the phone to who he thought was Agent Jeffries. Amazing! I would lose my shit if Bowie is in this series. At first I thought it was Jodie Packard in the place between worlds but I'm not so sure. She did get stuck in purgatory though? She ended up in the brass door knob of the drawer after she was killed?

One complaint was it seemed slightly dumbed down at times, the evolution of the arm (lolwtf) didn't need to backwards exposit the obvious plot points for example.

Definitely in agreement here. The 'recap' at the beginning of episode one was completely superfluous, as well as other replays of previous footage. Also, I don't like how the Black Lodge imagery has been thrust front-and-centre in the opening credits (I feel it lessens the impact of the scenes in the actual show).

But on the whole, I'm digging this.

Just finished episode 3.

Loved the reappearance of blue rose lady, and evil cooper chatting on the phone to who he thought was Agent Jeffries. Amazing! I would lose my shit if Bowie is in this series. At first I thought it was Jodie Packard in the place between worlds but I'm not so sure. She did get stuck in purgatory though? She ended up in the brass door knob of the drawer after she was killed?

the blue rose lady, as in the weird lady in the red dress from the movie? missed her, when did she pop up? I did notice they mentioned Blue Rose a couple of times.

The lady in the inbetween place was the same actress who played Ronette Pulaski apparently. She was in a coma in the series wasn't she? Can't remember exactly what happened to her.

One complaint was it seemed slightly dumbed down at times, the evolution of the arm (lolwtf) didn't need to backwards exposit the obvious plot points for example.

Definitely in agreement here. The 'recap' at the beginning of episode one was completely superfluous, as well as other replays of previous footage. Also, I don't like how the Black Lodge imagery has been thrust front-and-centre in the opening credits (I feel it lessens the impact of the scenes in the actual show).

But on the whole, I'm digging this.

I agree. The opening scene showing the Black Lodge imagery is an odd choice. As you say, it lessens the impact. I prefer the original opening by some large degree, especially the Varied Thrush. As for the steel/lumber mill, we see it early in the first episode - looks abandoned - maybe a dig at how jobs have been lost over the decades thanks to technology, internet, AI, automation etc.

Apart from that, it's excellent so far.

Just saw all four episodes after eating some cherry pie and drinking some coffee like a horrible fanboi. This was beyond expectations, my minds just been fucked in the worst and best way possible.

So I watched the four this morning and already feel a STRONG urge to rewatch everything. What a sprawling amazing thing. Every scene is captivating.

The horror is truly unsettling and the comedy is unlike any other. Its a hit baby!!!

+1 

lol at James "has always been cool".

lol x 2

+1

Seems a lot of people on twitter, Reddit and other places aren't happy that there isn't more background music.

Personally, I got tired of that same slow motion jazz theme that seemed to strike up everytime a woman came on screen in the 1990 series.

This new work is much more effective with Lynch just doing the sound design. You can have too much music, effectively ruining the whole thing.

+1, this was Inland Empire style in the best way possible. 

That first ten minutes of part three - absolutely bizarre. Never seen anything like that.

+ absolutely fucking 1. This was so beyond everything I can't even.

it hasnt pandered to its own nostalgia either, seething into some truly malevolent directions

hail praise Lynch

+1

but in the end this thing feels like his magnum opus. it's basically everything he has ever done, or would have wanted to do, rolled up in a tv series.

+1

i wasn't sure before because of how scattered it all seemed (despite many individual scenes being pretty great), but i'm all now with ep3. from the unreal first part with this completely how-is-this-even-on-tv? glitchy back and forth editing shenanigans, to the hilarious hawk scene and the elongated and totally amusing cooper-as-a-rainman sequence  (it was very interesting how super realistic everything and everyone besides cooper seemed, more so than the other "real world" scenes in the series) and to the over the top ultrasexualized tammy the fbi agent. loved every minute of it.

after having seen ep4, i have to admit there are a couple of times where i just had to skip the scenes of cooper endlessly staring into the distance like an idiot. i want the old cooper back. the one with a brain. not the zombie. and i'm not really interested to monitor the hints of him slowly recovering. which is already taking place (or the acting is just inconsistent - which i dont think is the case  -feels intended).

this annoyance is strangely a good thing, btw. as it says there's an actual story which i'd like to see develop.

i do think the acting is all over the place though. couple of scenes where i get the impression actors are just throwing the script out there without knowing what they're talking about. feels like watching a learning process of the cast on how to deal with a lynchian script. might be purposefully done, because the irony is that it can have the effect that every character can turn into a zombie. example: first scenes with albert (fbi). these were horrible. apart from the driving scene where he's in the backseat with lynch-fbi. the moment he had his ..eh..microaggression fallout with lynch was a hint of the old albert character, imo. (sharp mind, very present, easily annoyed)

So I can't stop thinking about these episodes, and am totally considering watching Inland Empire before the 5th one airs (tried twice to make it through). 

It just got me thinking how these eps wipe the floor with these other modern 'weird' shows.

The Leftovers is a motel room shit stain compared to this.

Just finished episode 3.

the blue rose lady, as in the weird lady in the red dress from the movie? missed her, when did she pop up? I did notice they mentioned Blue Rose a couple of times.

The lady in the inbetween place was the same actress who played Ronette Pulaski apparently. She was in a coma in the series wasn't she? Can't remember exactly what happened to her.

Yep sorry it was Ronette who was warning about her mother, I wrongly assumed it was blue rose lady after Garland appeared shortly before saying Blue Rose.

Me again.

Was thinking about the scene in purgatory / the place between worlds with the possible Jodie Packard.  The juttery forward/backward filming was amazing, and tied in with the Red Room speech about "is it future or is it past".

Not quite sure what to make about the numbers on the dial thing on the wall.  Would these be locations for gaining access to the real world from purgatory? Also love how Cooper left his shoes behind, then got new shoes when he reappeared in the real world.  A nod to the man with one arm shoe salesman?

Everything ties perfectly. Even the lynchian moments have so much stuff behind them - this is pure archetype Jungian delirium. There is no need to analyze it, just open your mind and try to connect with yourself. This is the most lucid and artistic introspection into the darkness/lightness of human mind ever attempted imho. The form is perfect, the substance is relevant and strong. Lynch is probably at his peak here and I love him for that. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and I'm happy that someone is willing to explore the less known or appreciated realms and bring them on screen.

edit: The meeting of Cooper and Gordon is brilliant and terrifying

20/10

Edited by Godwin Austen

Everything ties perfectly. Even the lynchian moments have so much stuff behind them - this is pure archetype Jungian delirium. There is no need to analyze it, just open your mind and try to connect with yourself. This is the most lucid and artistic introspection into the darkness/lightness of human mind ever attempted imho. The form is perfect, the substance is relevant and strong. Lynch is probably at his peak here and I love him for that. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and I'm happy that someone is willing to explore the less known or appreciated realms and bring them on screen.

edit: The meeting of Cooper and Gordon is brilliant and terrifying

20/10

Great way to describe it, another +1 here.

So I just finished the first four episodes and I have to say I'm mentally drained.

I guess it was mostly that first ten or fifteen minutes of part 3. That has to be most most mind-bending visuals I've ever seen either on film or television.

I've had to watch the below clip a few times for a bit of light relief.

i finished episode 3 last night. holy crap-

that beginning was crazy. cooper falling from that box then suddenly appearing somewhere (?) only to follow some woman with no eyes outside to appear on-top of a box floating in space with a giant bell above it. btw: did this room remind anyone else of rabbits?

also, how he gets sucked out of that room then floats thru the sockets and emerges in doughie's room next to his vomit.

i finished episode 3 last night. holy crap-

that beginning was crazy. cooper falling from that box then suddenly appearing somewhere (?) only to follow some woman with no eyes outside to appear on-top of a box floating in space with a giant bell above it. btw: did this room remind anyone else of rabbits?

also, how he gets sucked out of that room then floats thru the sockets and emerges in doughie's room next to his vomit.

Yeah, Eraserhead level of weirdness. I wonder what casual TV viewers made of all that.