IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Guest cult fiction

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very underwhelmed, to be honest. I hope it grows on me. I was expecting something much fuller, darker and more exciting after all I'd read. And even though the early fadeouts and lack of flow between tracks is deliberate, I find it makes everything feel very bitty' and insubstantial. It means you can't 'get lost' in it in that easy, floating way, but the music doesn't seem challenging enough to suddenly 'make sense' with a closer listen either. In the other thread I said I wondered what BoC had been up to for 8 years; but actually, maybe this is what happens when you overwork something. It reminds me of the situation with Clark's 'Iradelphic'; I was surprised to read in interviews how much work had gone into that album, because to me it seemed so good in some ways, yet so frustratingly crippled in others. That's how the new BoC album feels in comparison to their past work.

I imagine though, that once I 'get used' to what this album is and isn't, it'll become more enjoyable.

I think I recall it taking time for you to warm up to some ae records right?

she does this every time. shitting over new albums at the first available opportunity, then reporting back a couple of weeks later to say how it's suddenly clicked and it's amazing now. this is the reason I don't read Lianne's posts.

sorry Lianne, you're probably good people, but this habit of yours is super-annoying.

I'm sorry...you're right. I promised myself I wouldn't do that on the forum for this one, even if I totally found it disappointing. But then it happened. And yes, this did happen with Oversteps and Move of Ten, and Oversteps is now a favourite. Even if I don't come round to appreciating this one, there's no need to moan all over other people's parade. I'll not comment further! :-)

Guest Lucy Faringold

she does this every time. shitting over new albums at the first available opportunity, then reporting back a couple of weeks later to say how it's suddenly clicked and it's amazing now. this is the reason I don't read Lianne's posts.

sorry Lianne, you're probably good people, but this habit of yours is super-annoying.

Tomorrow's Harvest is the album of the year. Resistance is futile.Tomorrow's Harvest is the album of the year. Resistance is futile.

He's right Lianne, acceptance and approval await if you do the right thing and become one with the WATMM hive mind.

Tomorrow's Harvest is the album of the year. Resistance is futile. Tomorrow's Harvest is the album of the year. Resistance is futile.

Only played this about 25+ times right through in the last 5 days. The production is the absolute tits. Am still finding things out, oh my.

Favourites change as and when, but Reach For The Dead (still), Cold Earth, Palace and New Seeds are just stunning. Come To Dust too.

The whole LP is just one fantastically amazing hour of sonics. Nothing revolutionary, just a band doing what they do best. Am sure things will change over the next hundred or so listens, but it's to their credit that they imbue their sound with so much fucking depth. And that's not me just associating it with being from the same neck of the woods, but it probably helps...the sadness and melancholia of being born in the UK of the 70s... of having the North Sea horizon as your visual standpoint...the nuclear dread of the 80s at High School. Fuck, I sound like a pretentious fanny.

Anyhoo, I don't think I've ever listened to one LP so much in one week, except for Architecture and Morality by OMD, way back in 81....go google the title track, which pretty much informed my, errr, sonic 'architecture', so to speak, and paved my way into Aphex, Orbital and all the rest.

The Guardian interview was great...OMG, BoC ar humans lolol, whoulda thunk.

No wonder they don't come out to play so much, when the mentalness of WATMM and Twoism are so, so blimmin' scarifying!

Still, album of the year, even after The Knife's epic.

What a year!

:emotawesomepm9:

And that's not me just associating it with being from the same neck of the woods, but it probably helps...the sadness and melancholia of being born in the UK of the 70s... of having the North Sea horizon as your visual standpoint...the nuclear dread of the 80s at High School. Fuck, I sound like a pretentious fanny.

nah, you don't. as a child of the same decade and the same concerns (someone pushes a button, we all die) this album is so very spot on.

Guest beatfanatic

picked this up on vinyl today and was kinda bummed that it didnt come with a free download code.

And that's not me just associating it with being from the same neck of the woods, but it probably helps...the sadness and melancholia of being born in the UK of the 70s... of having the North Sea horizon as your visual standpoint...the nuclear dread of the 80s at High School. Fuck, I sound like a pretentious fanny.

nah, you don't. as a child of the same decade and the same concerns (someone pushes a button, we all die) this album is so very spot on.

I think young people today have a hard time imagining the paranoia that existed during the Cold War. I remember seeing The Day After on tv as a kid, and was convinced we would all die in nuclear fire.

I enjoyed reading ravedamage's post. It's great to read about how people are enjoying the album,

When the people liking the album don't going into much depth about what they love about it and properly insult people who are disappointed in (who are explaining politely in some detail about why it has disappointed them), I get a bit suspicious. This has nothing to do with me or this thread; it's something I've observed on other threads involving other people and other areas of the Internet. It does put you off when fans of the album seem to be angry, unable to explain anything, unstable, and reactionary to those who are actually explaining things about the music they find not-pleasing. (Like I said, this has nothing to do with me or this thread... I'd like to end the dull habit of crapping on new albums on here straight away when I end up loving them later anyway!)

I WANT to read coherent, joyous posts about how much people are digging TH. They can inspire appreciation. After, we've all waited for it all this time and had all spent money on it. May as well enjoy it!

Guest Starblazer

mp3 though >.< no bloody WAV/FLAC option for those of us who purchased/pre-ordered via their site >.<

I don't think I've ever listened to one LP so much in one week, except for Architecture and Morality by OMD, way back in 81....go google the title track, which pretty much informed my, errr, sonic 'architecture', so to speak, and paved my way into Aphex, Orbital and all the rest.

Remember getting that album round about the time it came out when I was a kid. Ace album and ace track, stands up well today I reckon. And I'm with you and kaini, being a child of the 70s. Gives TH a sense of familiarity to me.

Guest Mirezzi

Just gave Bleep my money, now I'm watching their CDN server fail.

Does this make me want to give Bleep money ever again? No, not really.

...and now Bleep is offline entirely. Poor Warp Records!

First impressions:

Very good record.

Does not disappoint.

I seemed to like the second half better, as the first half was more ambient.

There was a lot of talk about fade-outs, and I didn't really notice them on first pass.

There was a lot of talk of short track times, and without paying attention to what track was playing, I didn't notice this at all.

Can't wait to listen more.

I've downloaded the tracks from Bleep but I'm waiting for the vinyl to arrive. I hope they threw in some stickers or goodies but I've never received anythign like that in the past. Has anybody received their copy yet?

discogs is showing the UK/EU version is a 6 panel digipack with 16 page book, while the US version is a 3 panel digipack with 8 page book. can anyone confirm this? the pics people have posted here show 3 panel packaging with the artcards for EU customers, so this is confusing.

Guest texan whip

I've downloaded the tracks from Bleep but I'm waiting for the vinyl to arrive. I hope they threw in some stickers or goodies but I've never received anythign like that in the past. Has anybody received their copy yet?

My vinyl arrived from Bleep today. No stickers or goodies. Plus oddly I ordered two vinyls (on the same order) as I wanted an extra album for a birthday present but only the one vinyl has arrived.

Yeah, for real lads, one of the immediate things that hit me about this album is how it manages to connect the bleakness of then with the altogether different bleakness of now, but in that sort of reassuring boc way, the co-evolution of our surroundings with our reckoning of them.

Bleep is shipping my order to Oregon instead of Massachusetts and still haven't responded to my very polite email correcting them on this colossal fuck up.

Blepp

Bleep is shipping my order to Oregon instead of Massachusetts and still haven't responded to my very polite email correcting them on this colossal fuck up.

Blepp

Bleep appears to have only shipped my tshirt, and to have completely forgotten that there was an LP. And the tracking for the tshirt, despite an expected delivery of today, went silent after it arrived in Michigan on the 7th

I fully expect my LP, if and when it arrives, to play a copy of yakety sax and make everything feel like it's fastforwarding

I ordered two vinyls (on the same order) as I wanted an extra album for a birthday present but only the one vinyl has arrived.

eh? wtf, this is one cock up of a despatch. i noticed some were getting their cds and vinyl on different shipments but this? fuckin ell

Archived