IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

called "Hesitation Marks"

287d6389_1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.

yea.

I didn't even get through the track. might as well have been pulled from the recycle bin and touched up. I'm long over nin. Trent should be too. this is experimental?

I'll probably be sticking my foot in my mouth here, but I think this single could be salvageable if he simply pushed his vocals back a bit in the mix and added some processing/fuzz, then brought up some of the riffs that could carry the song better but for some reason are sitting way back. it all feels like a big hesitation (maybe that's the reason for the album name?) Lots of moments in this where in the past he would have hit you hard with something, but here it just never comes.

Guest disoriental express

NIN used to be my favorite band for years and years. Then everything post-The Fragile happened.

As far as I can tell there's a direct positive correlation between his drug intake and the quality of his music. Someone give the man some drugs already.

Also, the cover appears to be way more inspiring than the music. False advertising.

Edited by disoriental express

... hoping for some energy, melody, insanely distorted guitar licks, damaged vocals, chaotic layers and some flat out extreme sh*t...

the kind of extreme sh*t that got me into nin in the first place.

Lol, don't we all wish. This is hasn't been the case since TDS, and based on this single I don't see it happening here either.

Edited by sidewinder

Here's the video (in case nobody's bothered to post it):

[youtubehd]TgwrxcO48N8#![/youtubehd]

:cerious:

haha what, a video just so Trent can show off his Nagra?

seems to be a trend. video for Big Black Boots, by HTDA had his waspinator thing

i've come to the conclusion that Trent Reznor is still suffering from an inferiority complex, even after all the steroids, the hot girlfriend with big tits, the 5 million dollar modular synth collection, the paying for Richard Devine to produce his tracks, it's like he can never get ahead and be confident in himself or who he is.

He needs to lose the brotein shakes, drink some absinthe again, let his hair grow out and go back to actually being somewhat dark... make some shit like this again!!!

Edited by ghOsty

i've come to the conclusion that Trent Reznor is still suffering from an inferiority complex, even after all the steroids, the hot girlfriend with big tits, the 5 million dollar modular synth collection, the paying for Richard Devine to produce his tracks, it's like he can never get ahead and be confident in himself or who he is.

agreed, I suspect it's because he's a repressed homosexual who can't step out of the closet.

rumors aside, every time I see an interview with him he reminds me of my old gay roommate - look, speech patterns, everything. It's always seemed pretty blatant to me...

Guest RadarJammer

agreed, I suspect it's because he's a repressed homosexual who can't step out of the closet.

rumors aside, every time I see an interview with him he reminds me of my old gay roommate - look, speech patterns, everything. It's always seemed pretty blatant to me...

fishnets2.jpg

lick.jpg

kiss3.jpg

I like the new song. Maybe goes on for a minute and a half too long, but its good. Not sure about the album title though, gives me hesitation marks...

Eric Avery left the reunited group a bit ago, and now Adrian Belew is out.

Robin Finck is back in, for the millionth time. I think every time he has a fight with Axel Rose, he comes running back to Trent, lol.

Hesitation Marks = scratches on wrist from hesitating before suicide? Oh jeepers.

Yeah, that album title is just terrible... Trent's a fucking millionaire, with a hot asian wife, am I really supposed to believe he's still contemplating suicide? The dark, brooding and angsty vibes of NIN used to be believable and genuine but this just seems like Hot Topicy middle school "hey guys, I'm depressed, see?" vibes.

Edited by ghOsty

Doesnt he have bi-polar though? In which cause you can feel suicidal even if from everyone elses persepctive everything is peachy with your life.

Having said that i agree the angsty stuff has run its course and anyway for me a lot of NIN has pretty cringe lyrics, i mean most of the lyrics on Pretty Hate machine are proper bad... but dont bother me to much cause am not really listening for the lyrics.

Edited by kirm

I think the only NIN I've ever heard is The Downward Spiral and Fixed/Broken EPs. I've been listening to those consistently for years, but I never got around to listening the rest of his stuff.

Interesting... so what's your take on this new single given that you haven't heard any new nin since tds? (that's so hard to believe lol)... part of me is curious if ive just gotten so used to the blandness of his recent output, that im being overly critical of it when i hear it...

I don't have much to say tbh, I don't really like this track. It's a mix of typical industrial beats, melodies and effects straight off any top40 dancefloor song (like that benny bennassi-like melody that starts at 1:38, lol'd at that) and way-too-loud overused "AAAAAAAAH" choruses to make it more epic or something I guess. I like the bridge, guitar breakdown included, from 2:45 to 3:20; probably because it didn't have Reznor's uninspired lyrics and the annoying chorus on top It goes on for too long, too. Really boring, 4/10 would not listen to again

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

The dark, brooding and angsty vibes of NIN used to be believable and genuine but this just seems like Hot Topicy middle school "hey guys, I'm depressed, see?" vibes.

Yeh that's my thinking

NIN lyrics have always been goofy but he had a way of selling it each time around that he was teenage angst/suicidally depressed/feeling listless/mad about political stuff. This just kinda feels like oh jeez i gotta make another nin album better find something to be aggro about

I thought Ghosts established that he was okay with making chill albums but maybe not?

God damn that's a lot of Reznor cliches for one song. Rhyming couplets, that verse vocal melody, that chord combo for the chorus AGAIN (equivalent of Cmaj, Amin, Emaj for two bars/repeat transposed wherever), and that descending guitar lead with that particular effect that he's been raping since Fragile. I wonder if he just doesn't realize he's already written and produced this a dozen times before, or if he just doesn't care. It's weird that a guy who wrote two of the most unique albums of the 90's could fall back onto the same generic musical patterns over and over again without being self conscious about it (I can only assume he isn't or it wouldn't happen so much). Surely he has a few honest colleagues who have pointed it out to him. Ah well, guess he doesn't really need to prove anything at this point, but if it were someone else's formula he was aping he'd be sued for plagiarism by this point.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova