IGNORED

Burial - Rival Dealer

bubbhasdance

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In retrospect the 2nd track on this EP is fucking awful.

You don't have... To be alone.
I actually found the 2nd track grew on me a fair bit. 3rd track though...nope, it's a cheese too far. It reminds me of an 80s charity xmas single for some reason - it just needs bono and midge ure to redo the vocals.

It did the opposite for me. At first I was just excited because it was new Burial, but after repeat listens I grew to dislike it. Maybe there's some fundamental darkness inside me that I can't get down with such saccharine melodics. I think it just reminds me too much of the vapid soullessness of 80's pop.

• 7 months later...

Hiders and Corn Deer To Us cause my trollmeter to go berserk. especially when the Hiders beat comes in and then vanishes just as quickly.

God, I'd forgotten all about him tbh (which is pretty weird). After Kindred Spirit he went down hill for me and that ep was all killer and no filler. After that (imo) he lost his way.

Jesus I haven't thought about Burial for some time...

I remember that he posted something about trying to put his album together before the release of Dark Souls 2, because he knew that game would eat all of his time otherwise...

Looks like he didn't manage to do it... + Bloodborne came out since then, a DLC is coming and Dark Souls 3 has been announced !

Guest Enter a new display name

The least Hyperdub could do to make us wait a little longer for the next album would be a repress of Ghost Hardware EP.

• 2 months later...

Temple Sleeper is better than this imo

I agree.

I like Rival Dealer far less now than I did when it originally came out. The only good track is the first one (other two are pure cheese) and even that tune doesn't come close to anything on Kindred or Truant/Rough Sleeper.

Kindred may have been his peak. Hoping that's not the case and he's got a few more years of solid jams in him.

Need to relisten to this. So thats what I'm doing right now.

Was well spaced out when this came out, so my initial instincts on this could of been way out.

What's spooky is that it seems a hundred times faster than I remember! :blink:

And that can't be possible.

Fuuuck, Come Down To Us at 3.40min to 5.00mins. Is well fucking trippy . Jeez :cool:

I think I need to get back into this. I played it twice when it was released and just didn't get on with it. I actually broke down into tears (at work of all places which isn't really the best) on the second play 'cause it bought to me immense emotions of my best friend who commited suicide. Nowadays I feel I can play this and enjoy it from not such a difficult perspective, in fact it feels like the best elegiac music can, strangely uplifting.

Nice bump James

unless he comes out with a new LP at some point with some fresh styles, I'm going to think he has dried up creatively. he was never very diverse to begin with, just a niche sort of sound that had big appeal. and I'm talking here as a big Burlel fan. but honestly, if he can't move past the whole 2step/breaks/bass/gloomy London vibe thing, then :shrug: the strongest hint of a new direction I got was on Rough Sleeper, which is why I find that his best post-Untrue output.

unless he comes out with a new LP at some point with some fresh styles, I'm going to think he has dried up creatively. he was never very diverse to begin with, just a niche sort of sound that had big appeal. and I'm talking here as a big Burlel fan. but honestly, if he can't move past the whole 2step/breaks/bass/gloomy London vibe thing, then :shrug: the strongest hint of a new direction I got was on Rough Sleeper, which is why I find that his best post-Untrue output.

Agreed. This is my best guess as to why he hasn't had any new material. Just a one-off track in the past couple years which basically proves this point.

And I'm a fan too. :shrug:

Guest cult fiction

Well Dark Souls 2 came out in 2014, and then there were 3 DLCs for it, and then Bloodborne this year, and there's a DLC for Bloodborne coming out this month, so he's been busy.

Oh shit and Dark Souls 3 early next year.

Don't expect new Burial for awhile...

Archived