IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Comment re: Polygon Window album 2 playlist - yes please.

:w00t:

i remember always joking around about SOSW II and how i wanted to break into afx's house just for this album, now its a reality and no laws had to be broken, lol, :aphexsign:

technical nit, but the SC dump might break laws of relativity

I really feel sorry for people releasing electronic music of the more experimental/braindance ilk at the moment... I can't tear myself away from these Aphex tracks to listen to anything else!

True but don't miss out on Mike P he's throwing some serious serious heat and up to 180 tracks now himself

Oh I'm on top of that one as well. Between the two of these there is little time for much else :/

Has anyone listened to now all 180 tunes in one sitting .....or however many days it would take to listen to them all ?

I wonder what happens to you if you do ?

Does your hair turn red and suddenly you start making many alias's for yourself?

no, but i reckon i've listened to all the track at least two dozen times now. some tracks more. ahmygodthisissoamazing

(i feel sorry for anybody only discovering this now, haha)

which was the last uploaded track before "8 Glock+onion"?

tamclap2

wtf! lol ok will enable javascript when i browse sc (noscript user). now i see it

Higher sampling rates can capture higher frequencies, and that is all, they cannot improve on the reproduction of the lower frequencies that are already being recorded, which is solely dependant on the quality of the AD/DA converters (and the filters they use), and the dithering algorithm being used.

correct in principle, but somewhat inaccurate.

16 bit audio has around 96dB of dynamic range, decent stereo equipment and human ears have more like 120-130db of dynamic range. so 24 bit is audible - if you have a good stereo and if the audio is not massively compressed. otherwise, yeah, diff btwn 16/24 is not really audible to the avg listener.

the "you don't need to go over 44.1k because you can't hear over 20k" thing many ppl believe is also missing the point a bit. audio recorded at 44.1 has to be filtered to prevent aliasing, and this filter rolls off audible frequencies due to the slope of the filter, as well as causing audible phase distortion. this is why older converters sound better at higher sampling rates, because the filter is not needed, or is at such a high freq the artifacts are inaudible. most converters today always record at 96k-384k sampling rate, and downconvert on the fly to the rate you request. so you don't hear the diff between 44.1k and 96k coz everything is recorded at 96k or higher.

sorry for ot, just see these misconceptions all the time.

24 bit is up to 120 db after dithering, 96 db is already pretty high though, and still vastly more than vinyl or cassette. 120 db is already approaching the pain threshold, close to the noise of an aircraft taking off, and would result in permanent hearing loss if endured for too long (well over environmental safety limits in most developed countries).

you're not correcting any misconceptions, I already mentioned the filters, and the dithering process also makes a difference (if it's a freq-shaped dither). you're right about the higher frequencies in the ADs these days, left that out for brevity (though they run at higher clock speeds for economic reasons as much as quality, you could make chips just as accurate with slower clocks for extra cost), the point is whether the final encoding makes a difference, and extra bits and samples get you nothing.

there might be a slight argument in adopting 24 bit in order to skip the dithering stage (because then any distortion would be well below the noise floor of the hardware being used), but that just simplifies the process (becomes a cost of storage vs cost of DAC argument), it doesn't result in better quality audio.

I really feel sorry for people releasing electronic music of the more experimental/braindance ilk at the moment... I can't tear myself away from these Aphex tracks to listen to anything else!

True but don't miss out on Mike P he's throwing some serious serious heat and up to 180 tracks now himself

Oh I'm on top of that one as well. Between the two of these there is little time for much else :/

Yes I did see you're well on top of it :) just making sure any other fans don't miss out, some real brain melting stuff in there and keeps getting better

He responded to my recommendation to use flux :) I'm a fanboy from hell so yes I'm excited he wrote 3 sentences to me about a large monitor and eye strain ha.

as a guy who spends all his music-time trying to make pretend analog in reason

haha same here. i shoud stop though, it's quite a waste a time imo.

i think it sounds like it was made in reason. eh?

doesn't sound like so to me but what do i know

Guest damageis

He responded to my recommendation to use flux :) I'm a fanboy from hell so yes I'm excited he wrote 3 sentences to me about a large monitor and eye strain ha.

RDJ=legend

yo! let's trade some patches!

as a guy who spends all his music-time trying to make pretend analog in reason

haha same here. i shoud stop though, it's quite a waste a time imo.

i think it sounds like it was made in reason. eh?

doesn't sound like so to me but what do i know

word to the suggestion of fl.ux. i'm a huge fan, used it for years, have it pernamently enabled (everybody always asks me 'why is your screen red?')

Guest gorfman666

word to the suggestion of fl.ux. i'm a huge fan, used it for years, have it pernamently enabled (everybody always asks me 'why is your screen red?')

"why is your screen red?"

"because aphex twin"

Pretend Analog Extmix 2b description:

first track i did, everything virtual analog.
jumped forward in the years tangent

semi-related but can anyone remember the earliest we ever heard tuss?

all i can recall is rushup in italy 2005

Edited by thief