IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

allright, i'll see what I can do over the weekend. if it doesn't get used or is of no value, oh well, not too bothered :)

will think about the best way to do this - maybe grouping tracks for voting based on the approximate date they were uploaded makes sense, to ensure we give equal weight to any newly uploaded tracks

also interested in ideas about how i'd lock down voting - i can probably make it a fairly easy click to vote thing but that's probably ripe for abuse without some sort of login system.

i'm also wondering whether i can do this much simpler -

perhaps just having a page that ranks all soundcloud tracks ordered by likes or play counts may be sufficient. i don't think we can sort it at soundcloud by these categories at the moment?

edit: actually probably not, too many other factors come into play here given tracks have been uploaded over a few months

Edited by xf

I think he's already sitting on some incredible things that will get released anyway so I kinda feel even though what he is uploading is mostly pure gold (i.e. Pretend Analog Extmix 2b) there is a lot more to come!

Nice to be off work sick so I can listen to the last steaming dump of joy.

There are lots of other releases planned on Warp but it could fit in fine there somewhere.

I hope he means a lot of other releases planned on warp, by him.

Holy fuck

And PLEASE put cornish spreek5b and floating oo (and cheetahs and cottages) on official release if there is one. Please people vote for them. Oh my god there are so many good tracks everyone will be disappointed somewhat if their favorite is left off. Cottages please. Cheetahs please. AB6 PLEASE FUCK

Edited by Zeffolia

I really think it's too premature to do a voting thing. Tracks are still coming. We could end up with 1000 tracks for all we know.

Let the man do his thing! When he finishes (yes, he has to stop someday....I hope he goes on forever but that's impossible!), THEN we can do a vote. But seriously, if we get him to start mastering stuff and focusing on a release, then he might stop uploading tracks, which would be a travesty. Just enjoy what's there guys...and what keeps coming! There will be an entire lifetime to vote on shit, press shit, make physical shit, etc. I would rather have more songs than anything else...and wouldn't want this to end prematurely for any reason.

Edited by Mike_Haggar

also interested in ideas about how i'd lock down voting - i can probably make it a fairly easy click to vote thing but that's probably ripe for abuse without some sort of login system.

This is the tough bit.

WATMM's mandatory paid memberships are both a blessing and a curse. It'll pretty much eliminate vote abuse as nobody's gonna spend time, effort and money on setting up additional accounts. (Maybe one or two will, but this is probably the best defence against exploiting the poll imo) On the other hand, people shouldn't have to pay for their vote. It should be free and open to everyone who frequents the Soundcloud account.

Facebook log-in? Email confirmation?

Handwritten by post? ;)

allright, i'll see what I can do over the weekend. if it doesn't get used or is of no value, oh well, not too bothered :)

will think about the best way to do this - maybe grouping tracks for voting based on the approximate date they were uploaded makes sense, to ensure we give equal weight to any newly uploaded tracks

I'm sending you a PM email regarding this :emotawesomepm9:

That's how I took it

I really think it's too premature to do a voting thing. Tracks are still coming. We could end up with 1000 tracks for all we know.

Let the man do his thing! When he finishes (yes, he has to stop someday....I hope he goes on forever but that's impossible!), THEN we can do a vote. But seriously, if we get him to start mastering stuff and focusing on a release, then he might stop uploading tracks, which would be a travesty. Just enjoy what's there guys...and what keeps coming! There will be an entire lifetime to vote on shit, press shit, make physical shit, etc. I would rather have more songs than anything else...and wouldn't want this to end prematurely for any reason.

I reluctantly agree

To be clear, I think doing some sort of final vote now doesn't make any sense... but I have some ideas about how to approach this assuming the dump is ongoing.

... and I said I'll see what I can do over the weekend - doesn't mean I'll have a fully working voting system with all bells and whistles finished, but no better time to start!

edit: pretty sure I'll get something done tho

Edited by xf

That's how I took it

I reluctantly agree

What if as he added new tracks to the SoundCloud, they'd appear on a page to be voted on? It would be kind of neat to have a dynamic page where at any time the top SoundCloud tracks could be seen, either by community votes, or by plays/favourites from SC...

To be clear, I think doing some sort of final vote now doesn't make any sense... but I have some ideas about how to approach this assuming the dump is ongoing.

... and I said I'll see what I can do over the weekend - doesn't mean I'll have a fully working voting system with all bells and whistles finished, but no better time to start!

edit: pretty sure I'll get something done tho

'fanks maniton'!

That's how I took it

I reluctantly agree

What if as he added new tracks to the SoundCloud, they'd appear on a page to be voted on? It would be kind of neat to have a dynamic page where at any time the top SoundCloud tracks could be seen, either by community votes, or by plays/favourites from SC...

plays would be skewed by older tracks getting longer exposure

That's how I took it

I reluctantly agree

Is there value of figuring out amongst the WATMM community which SC tracks are the favorites? Maybe so (although we could probably guess that correctly as well). But trying to implement the public poll that RDJ mentioned might be ill advised for the reasons Haggar mentioned, at least at this time.

Call me old fashioned but I would rather him just pick out his favorites. He seems to love the same ones we do if the spotlight is any indication. And he is really checking the comments etc. He knows which ones people love I think.

That's how I took it

I reluctantly agree

nah. just cut the poll off at 200 or something. if he posts another 200, he can always put out a new album after a new poll. the fact he's still putting stuff up on soundcloud is a reason to start polling right away,imo. assuming we only get one album out of one poll. so i'd rather have one album selected out of 200 tracks, instead of one album out of 1000 tracks! lets try for the "one album out of each 200 tracks" option.

Guest Londonskater

I can probably whip up a voting thing (with it grabbing up to date tracks from the soundcloud api) pretty easily. Y/N?

(I'm being serious BTW, already built something against the SoundCloud API earlier to pull down comments for archival)

Yes.

Another option (Which we can't make...) would be for Rich to hit up Mike Paradinas and get him to curate "Unreleased Works Vol. 1".

...and then for Vol 2, someone else can jump in and pick more.

This means firstly that we end up with more tracks mastered and officially released and secondly it doesn't end this lovely Soundcloud situation we have right now...Nothing to stop Rich from uploading random stuff for years and it slowly coming out as people choose later volumes for him.

Just a thought.

Actually, the poll idea fits with this. Maybe the first volume is "curated by the fans"?

...or curated by WATTM?

My mind is a garden.

Reposting my last post (sorry for spamming) as it covers both the idea of getting stuff released now(ish) and Soundcloud carrying on indefinitely.

How many tracks is he thinking about mastering?

How many slabs of vinyl?

This could be a whole new series over time. Just in from working and catching up, it's awesome news to come home to!

This is the tough bit.

WATMM's mandatory paid memberships are both a blessing and a curse. It'll pretty much eliminate vote abuse as nobody's gonna spend time, effort and money on setting up additional accounts. (Maybe one or two will, but this is probably the best defence against exploiting the poll imo) On the other hand, people shouldn't have to pay for their vote. It should be free and open to everyone who frequents the Soundcloud account.

Facebook log-in? Email confirmation?

Handwritten by post? ;)

fuck facebook

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

That's how I took it

I reluctantly agree

plays would be skewed by older tracks getting longer exposure

Yeah a dynamic page is a good idea, covers the eventuality of more tracks being added indefinitely. Would need to be votes though I think rather than plays or SC likes as the older tracks will always have more. Simple as that, everything else is just overthinking. Richard can then do what he likes with the info