IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

My aphex story:

At the Dublin show back around 2003, donning a blond wig to go with my ginger beard so I looked a little aphexian - some ravers told me "shouldnt you be getting on stage?!"

Anyway was at the front at some stage with my little wind-up camera and I spotted RDJ crouching below the stage so started taking some pics. Next thing, RDJ starts to take some back so for a few minutes we had a camera flash battle.

I lost the camera that night but.. I imagine RDJ has my pic somewhere.. maybe on a fridge... a fan grinning back at him in a blond wig

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Burger 2

As in 89 when I sensed that I must explore pastures new (from New York Hip Hop) and found new (but old) sounds with Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and then OMG thrash metal (Slaaaaaayer!!! Megadeth!!!! Metalllica!!! Hail Satan!!!!)  lol, my snout was getting a little itchy and a little twitchy and I just knew in my blood I had to again expand my horizons. But I didn't know exactly what it would be. I wasn't really a fan of rave music as it seemed a bit silly and indeed I was guilty of saying 'that's not proper music mate, it's just a bloke on drugs pressing play on a machine' but then one evening I heard John Peel play Girl/Boy and that was it chief, I emptied my piggy bank pronto and quick marched my way down to HMV faster than an Exocet missile. 26 Years Of Making Cash Out Of Mr Beerwolf.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, matureraver said:

my afx journey started when i was 4, i first heard i care because you do from my dad. i remember hearing the beginning of acrid avid in his car super vividly. we continued listening to that drukqs, come to daddy and windowlicker. we used to watch the rubber johnny video every night because i loved the track and the creepy video as a little kid ( i still do lol). about 4 years ago i went in super deep getting into richards discog. i started to discover caustic window and all the alia’s. i had already been a musician but richard made me want to make electronic music, so i started doing it. i went through some tough stuff and richard has been there for me through all of it. he practically saved + changed my life forever. now 4 years later i have loads of gear and have made 1,700 songs and released 11 or so records. i also have 2 record labels with coming up on 100 releases. i’m only 17 years old and seems like i have an eternity in front of me. hopefully my story didn’t get to deep, richard is just a huge hand in my life. ‘PS i’m not gonna pay 250 fucking P for this record but i love the songs so i might if i don’t get this one lolol’

i make electronic music under the name ‘Reservior…’ available on all streaming services

We needs some more posts like this so bubba69 i'm sorry but i removed my like.

You can get it back with a good afx story tough 😺

• Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 4:20 PM, diatoms said:

so the end of the summer afx tour is here and can't believe how quick its gone by. 9 shows  :aphexsign: in less than three months, has he ever done this many in such a short time?

but just wanted to say thanks to ya rdj who you've helped me in my own life, multiple times:)

in the syrobonkers! you said 'autistic trait' about how you used to feel and i realized i was on the autism spectrum, which i officially confirmed last year and that has been a big relief for me. i now understand but i wasn't too happy at the time wondering how could i not know or those around me not know? thanks rdj!!!

that same year in 2014 you said in an interview that you tell those with a baby or toddler that all the noise will pass and it will get better:) it did and i constantly reminded myself of that to deal with the noise and constant looking after. (i was the oldest of six kids and helped take care and raise my siblings. at 12 years my mom had twins so i constantly heard crying and noise throughout growing up, and that all came flooding back when i had a kid of my own. because of that only had one kid) what you said made such a big difference in how i dealt with the memories coming back from experiencing it again. thank you rdj:)

the music you have created has helped me through so many different times in my life :aphexsign: it's alive is the best way to describe how i feel listening to any of your music. thanks aphex!

the people i've met this summer have so much excitement and joy when raving at your shows. really really nice fans you have:) :aphexsign:

in another interview you were talking about how we're possibly living in a simulation and the other links you put on soundclown that opened my mind to take in other aspects of this reality. made me do tons of research and still do because of that. (what if  i  told you)

i wanted to say thank you for releasing all the tracks on sc and continue today giving away music others only dream about creating. you started uploading tracks to sc the day after my dad was buried and it helped me immensely throughout the following years.

there's more but i'll write some when i get back from the double rave this weekend.

amazing times will be had :aphexsign:

to celebrate the end of summer aphex tour

what are your stories/memories/influences/favorite songs/favorite afx shows/wisdom of aphex twin

write your piece about aphex as something fun for rdj to read and see how much he's really made a difference in our lives

thanks rdj!!!

all emotion/reactions left on all posts from the bottom pulldown (love, happy, sad, confused, big brain, thanks, burger, farnsworth and pitcard facepalm) from now til tuesday september 12 @ 16:20 irish time will be added up and one london 19.08.23 card will be gifted to the aphex fan that gets the highest:)

:aphexsign: thanks for all the acid  :aphexsign:

aphextwinDSC00855.thumb.JPG.abf75d82facd8bdc169594ab155f32d2.JPG

As you know Richard played Bristol this last weekend, I was unable to attend due to going away for a friends birthday. Whilst away my daughter called me up really excited to tell me that RDJ was staying at the hotel she works at. I have been a fan since hearing Analogue bubble bath in the 90's, the fact that my daughter has seen and Come to daddy and Windowlicker so many times its not a face she will easily forget! Not only did she get to meet RDJ (totally lovely down to earth geez, as to be expected!), his wife and child, he even chatted to my daughter for some time, think she told him about the time I was in nyc at Philip glass studio shortly after his visit, being the amazing daughter she is, she then surprised me, she had taken my donkey rhubarb bear in to work to get it signed❤️ Oh and to make the whole weekend even weirder, at my friends birthday someone had brought masks of the birthday boy for us all to wear so the whole weekend was on an Aphex tip (parallel universe?) even though I was unable to get to the gig it was an amazing weekend!
374567085_10159981681983212_442956958941

374625129_10159981682003212_448415008322

374536210_10159981682053212_320606818438

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Burger 1

On 8/31/2023 at 4:20 PM, diatoms said:

all emotion/reactions left on all posts from the bottom pulldown (love, happy, sad, confused, big brain, thanks, burger, farnsworth and pitcard facepalm) from now til tuesday september 12 @ 16:20 irish time will be added up and one london 19.08.23 card will be gifted to the aphex fan that gets the highest:)

I do believe this deserves its own thread... these posts are getting staggered all over the place and it would be cool for them to have their own thread... at least for prosperity? xoxo

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, diatoms said:

what's your favorite aphex story @Schlitze :aphexsign:

It was in April 2006, diatoms. Glasgow. The place is a ballroom with a big stage more used to orchestra's, pop and cock rock.  Not ideally suited to a guy sitting playing tracks on a laptop. Wolf Eyes and The Bug were the opening acts. AFX style music started at about 10.30 but he was nowhere to be seen on stage, then a guy appeared and started clapping the crowd to fire them up, it looked like R. James but with short hair.. at the time i thought it was AFX but I'm now convinced it was a lookalike. At some point the man did appear, hunched at the back of the stage, almost unseen to the naked eye, fiddling around with his laptop, very shy

image.png.e8c31e60759551939aaeb8b0b12fecdb.png

With nothing much to look at on stage i grabbed a pint of Tennent's from the bar and moved to back of the crowd with the beret wearing chin strokers. They were so passive, a completely different vibe from the gadgies at the front. Up until that point it had been a fairly straightforward set..very loud but cordial..I  remember he dropped Ae's LCC, the light show intensified and he ramped it up a notch with the screeching sounds and distortion.

It was then i saw a guys face melt off.

Under the glow of the flashing lights i could see this emaciated guy, eyes bulging, sweating profusely and his skin was just falling away from his face like his outer body couldn't stand the BPM and his skeleton just wanted to break free from those shackles. The room went dark and the drop kicked and i was looking around. Gig ended, lights went on, all these sweaty faces, audience applause and muttering..I'm looking around to see where this guy is..nowhere to be seen..i don't mention it, who would believe it? Then just as i'm heading down the stairs i glance round and see the sillouette of a skeleton dancing at the back of the ballroom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

It was in April 2006, diatoms. Glasgow. The place is a ballroom with a big stage more used to orchestra's, pop and cock rock.  Not ideally suited to a guy sitting playing tracks on a laptop. Wolf Eyes and The Bug were the opening acts. AFX style music started at about 10.30 but he was nowhere to be seen on stage, then a guy appeared and started clapping the crowd to fire them up, it looked like R. James but with short hair.. at the time i thought it was AFX but I'm now convinced it was a lookalike. At some point the man did appear, hunched at the back of the stage, almost unseen to the naked eye, fiddling around with his laptop, very shy

image.png.e8c31e60759551939aaeb8b0b12fecdb.png

With nothing much to look at on stage i grabbed a pint of Tennent's from the bar and moved to back of the crowd with the beret wearing chin strokers. They were so passive, a completely different vibe from the gadgies at the front. Up until that point it had been a fairly straightforward set..very loud but cordial..I  remember he dropped Ae's LCC, the light show intensified and he ramped it up a notch with the screeching sounds and distortion.

It was then i saw a guys face melt off.

Under the glow of the flashing lights i could see this emaciated guy, eyes bulging, sweating profusely and his skin was just falling away from his face like his outer body couldn't stand the BPM and his skeleton just wanted to break free from those shackles. The room went dark and the drop kicked and i was looking around. Gig ended, lights went on, all these sweaty faces, audience applause and muttering..I'm looking around to see where this guy is..nowhere to be seen..i don't mention it, who would believe it? Then just as i'm heading down the stairs i glance round and see the sillouette of a skeleton dancing at the back of the ballroom

• Like 1

Here we go:

In July '97 I had seen Richard at Phoenix Festival (UK) and then three weeks later at The Essential Dance Weekender in Finsbury Park. Both sets featured the Aphex Bears dancing, fighting and humping around the stage while Richard played out from his children's plastic play-house

I had agreed to travel to Las Vegas with friends in September of that year and the truth is, I really wasn't prepared for the full-on assault of the senses that I encountered.
Scanning through the flyers and leaflets in the hotel, I picked up a listing for the Hard Rock Cafe and Aphex Twin was scheduled to play on 19th September, the day before I flew back

Supported by Luke Vibert with a DJ set and with Sneaker Pimps and Linoleum also on the bill, it was a no-brainer

The gig was insane - Richard's best gig ever apparently

I recall there being a red chaise longue on stage and Richard lay on the floor behind it with his setup
The set list began with tracks from the newly released 'Come To Daddy' EP and I particularly remember Bucephalus Bouncing Ball pinging around the venue

The Aphex Bears were a little more hyper than I had seen previously and one bear unzipped his costume to reveal Matt Jones (The Jones Machine? of RePhLeX infamy)
Stage left, next to a particularly menacing security guard was an Asian girl, who was wearing a costume that seemed to consist of a single ribbon, wrapped around her torso
As Matt's dancing got more and more manic, she handed him an electric shaver and he proceeded to shave his chest and head, throwing the clippings into the audience who were now being worked up into a state of increasing irritation

Matt grabbed a plastic cup and shoved it down the front of his bear costume
When the cup emerged again, he proceeded to throw the contents over the crowd

Panic ensued and as the security guard moved onto the stage to take down this obscene teddy bear, the Asian girl proceeded to unroll the ribbon, getting naked on-stage.

That was it! - They got shut down early but man, what a gig!

PS. Warp Records ran a competition to win the Aphex Bear costumes - You had to write in (!) and complete the lyrics to "To Cure a Weakling Child"
I got a letter back saying that although I had been picked as a winner, the costumes were absolutely rancid and had already been destroyed so they would send some 12" promos instead

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, diatoms said:

@Schlitze don't know if ya seen this vid from the barrowlands aphex night

Seen it? Hell, i shot and cut it!!!!!1

DSC_2520.thumb.JPG.594fe43cd1fec324f8db3e9d5eeb3c94.JPG

I recently found the rushes on an old HDD so might have a go at tidying it up a bit. That was my first digital camera. 5 megapixels!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, grit said:

Matt grabbed a plastic cup and shoved it down the front of his bear costume
When the cup emerged again, he proceeded to throw the contents over the crowd

Panic ensued and as the security guard moved onto the stage to take down this obscene teddy bear, the Asian girl proceeded to unroll the ribbon, getting naked on-stage.

benny-hill.gif

• Haha 2

My Aphex story is I traveled from the US to London for Field Day and just missed getting a record. I went with my cousin who smoked a joint before we left but didn’t have anything on him and still got stopped by security because the drug dog sniffed him. They brought him to a closed off area and I waited around for him for a bit because I thought it would be a quick pat down but he was in there for about two hours. He said there were people smoking in line and tossing all kinds of drugs on the ground. After a while I went up to the merch tent and they were already sold out, which was soul crushing. I assumed they’d have quite a bit left since he sold leftovers from the other shows on his site before. I was too much of a burger to meet up with anyone from here while I waited, though I should have.

Also I thought British people loved queuing but I ended up getting into a verbal altercation with some guy who tried cutting in front of our line at the urinals after I was waiting for like 20-30 minutes to piss. He was standing in between two lines talking to his friend and when he saw the person at the front of my line was distracted he cut in front of her and looked back to his friend and laughed, which infuriated me, so I shamed him until he got back behind his friend. I could've easily gotten my ass kicked but it would've given me an excuse for pissing my pants.

Aphex Twin put on an absolutely incredible show though. I only saw him one other time, in Brooklyn in 2019, and I would definitely make the trip to see him if he plays any other festivals or shows next year. I’d just make sure to get there super early for any potential exclusive records.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, DavieAddison said:

My Aphex story is I traveled from the US to London for Field Day and just missed getting a record. I went with my cousin who smoked a joint before we left but didn’t have anything on him and still got stopped by security because the drug dog sniffed him. They brought him to a closed off area and I waited around for him for a bit because I thought it would be a quick pat down but he was in there for about two hours. He said there were people smoking in line and tossing all kinds of drugs on the ground. After a while I went up to the merch tent and they were already sold out, which was soul crushing. I assumed they’d have quite a bit left since he sold leftovers from the other shows on his site before. I was too much of a burger to meet up with anyone from here while I waited, though I should have.

Also I thought British people loved queuing but I ended up getting into a verbal altercation with some guy who tried cutting in front of our line at the urinals after I was waiting for like 20-30 minutes to piss. He was standing in between two lines talking to his friend and when he saw the person at the front of my line was distracted he cut in front of her and looked back to his friend and laughed, which infuriated me, so I shamed him until he got back behind his friend. I could've easily gotten my ass kicked but it would've given me an excuse for pissing my pants.

Aphex Twin put on an absolutely incredible show though. I only saw him one other time, in Brooklyn in 2019, and I would definitely make the trip to see him if he plays any other festivals or shows next year. I’d just make sure to get there super early for any potential exclusive records.

You travelled all the way from the US to London to see a fine bitch like Aphex and the best you could do is this boring ass story? 

• Burger 1

15 hours ago, DavieAddison said:

Wheres the bit about them fingermousing your cousin?