i always feel that something semi improvised or conceptual like a piece that fills an entire 30 minutes is the best way to present music likes his, but then again im old and out of touch. There was a poster here who said they used to see him play all the time with just a synth and some looper pedals (maybe they already posted in this thread?) that sounds really cool.

There was an interview I think from around when Replica came out where he was talking about that Kid606 guy (Miguel something or other?) giving him shit about the Juno+looper setup, saying it was played out, and then he got to thinking about it and decided he was right. That guy sounds like such a smug prick and his music sucks too.

i always feel that something semi improvised or conceptual like a piece that fills an entire 30 minutes is the best way to present music likes his, but then again im old and out of touch. There was a poster here who said they used to see him play all the time with just a synth and some looper pedals (maybe they already posted in this thread?) that sounds really cool.

There was an interview I think from around when Replica came out where he was talking about that Kid606 guy (Miguel something or other?) giving him shit about the Juno+looper setup, saying it was played out, and then he got to thinking about it and decided he was right. That guy sounds like such a smug prick and his music sucks too.

Oneohtrix or Kid606?

Oneohtrix or Kid606?

Kid606, I have a lot of respect for OPN. I just think Lopatin is a sensitive and somewhat insecure dude and was over-influenced by his trolling.

Oneohtrix or Kid606?

Kid606, I have a lot of respect for OPN. I just think Lopatin is a sensitive and somewhat insecure dude and was over-influenced by his trolling.

I think it was fair criticism. Daniel didn't venture outside of Juno and delay pedal for years

Oneohtrix or Kid606?

I think it was fair criticism. Daniel didn't venture outside of Juno and delay pedal for years

i think we're talking about two different things (slightly). The juno/delay pedal thing is a great improv/performance setup , sitting behind a laptop and playing back mostly pre recorded songs or layers is not, i think most people who go to ambient/experimental-ish electronic shows regularly can probably agree on this. That seems really odd to me that Loptain would take advice from Kid606 at all, even if the advice happened to be valid. I mean as a constant working method of course you should abandon it at a certain point, i could understand that but to to completely abandon a truly live/improvised setup like that seems like a poor decision imo. I think it takes genuine balls/skill to be able to pull off something as 'simple' as a juno/delay pedal live show and actually make it entertaining and engaging, and he was able to ride by the seat of his pants back then and put on a great show i don't see why he can't do it now with his new tools. Even if he's just using a computer, you can still improvise and be physical interacting with one. On the other hand maybe he is doing a lot of live stuff with just a laptop, i don't follow his output closely enough, but that definitely wasn't the case the one time i saw him live, it was him djing his own tracks (pre-replica, so it was extra frustrating he didn't bring any of the 'old' show tools) .

edit: lol, maybe he knew Miguel would show up and throw him shade and did it Tigerbeat style instead, straight laptop. edit: I did really enjoy kid606's first couple albums and he seems to making Eno-tribute ambient now which is pretty good

Lets just say that Kid606 and Tigerbeat left it's 'biggest' impression in the bay area by appearing on the cover of East Bay express (basically the Stranger in oakland/berkeley) and proceeding to tell wannabe rockstar tour adventure stories which basically amounted to 'dude we're such crazy electronic musicians, can you believe we brought a gun on tour and shit, and we did a lot of drugs!'. it was actually a very embarrassing event that I'm glad didn't have much meaningful residue after. It was like the 3rd or 4th time you saw a copy of Vice magazine and instead of being impressed/semi-shocked like the first time you just kind of sighed . Cex is one of the only main ones off the label who continued making cool shit imo. Blevin Blectum and others off the label too were genuinely good too, but tbh i can't remember much else.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

From juno/synth improv to computer/midi/hypergrunge gitches, 0PN reminds me of bob dylan (going from folk to electric) : some people cant play the same music all their life. The cool stuff with 0PN is that he's as good on Rifts as on R+7 : i truly love those 2 (very differents) records.

Lets just say that Kid606 and Tigerbeat left it's 'biggest' impression in the bay area by appearing on the cover of East Bay express (basically the Stranger in oakland/berkeley) and proceeding to tell wannabe rockstar tour adventure stories which basically amounted to 'dude we're such crazy electronic musicians, can you believe we brought a gun on tour and shit, and we did a lot of drugs!'. it was actually a very embarrassing event that I'm glad didn't have much meaningful residue after. It was like the 3rd or 4th time you saw a copy of Vice magazine and instead of being impressed/semi-shocked like the first time you just kind of sighed . Cex is one of the only main ones off the label who continued making cool shit imo. Blevin Blectum and others off the label too were genuinely good too, but tbh i can't remember much else.

Yeah, you nailed it. I'm not familiar with the specific magazine/event you're referring to, but this whole Vice magazine, "edgy", "hip", cool-older-brother thing is what has always annoyed me about that whole Kid606/Tigerbeat6 vibe. Like they have one good card so they just played it over and over.

That said I did appreciate KFW's contributions. I think he did a better job both with over-the-top breakcore and ambient. Probably because he wasn't so focused on being a condescending, shit-talking hipster and was actually focused on tunes.

is it just me or does a lot of daniel's music sound similar to the ecco the dolphin ost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNBEm2t1Z4M#

You're kidding, right?

Blame this album for spawning the whole stupid vaporwave thing

I realized right after making my post that the cover for Eccojams has the Ecco artwork on it. :facepalm:

If anyones feeling nostalgic for a time when warp albums would leak two months early, you're in luck

This is the problem with promoting an LP via a three month foreplay campaign.

When the shit leaks... it torrentsssss

ECCOJAMC1 is a thoroughly disappointing track.

Sticky Drama sounds like a Skrillex track. Of all the people I could have expected to go into brostep, DLop was the last. First Ufubulum, now this.

Edited by drillkicker

If anyones feeling nostalgic for a time when warp albums would leak two months early, you're in luck

is it a good quality rip? I've had a lot of first listens ruined by 128kbps or lower encodings posing as 320kbps mp3s. OPNs's commissions were one such casualty.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

He will be playing in Seattle w/ James Ferraro close to my birthday and the album's release, so I will wait. Should be fun.

Saw R+7 liveset like a year and a half or so after album release, did not do it for me.

is it a good quality rip? I've had a lot of first listens ruined by 128kbps or lower encodings posing as 320kbps mp3s. OPNs's commissions were one such casualty.

yeah, it's good quality, legit 320 kbps mp3.

very oversteps melodically, very a.d.d. and aggro, lots of vocals. the second half is more enjoyable on the first listen.

so far hmmmm/10. but there are def reasons to come back for.

Good comparison, I thought it sounded a lot like Oversteps too, which I love, but this is way more over the top. Some very cool baroque melodies. I really like this on first impression. Although as someone else suspected even though the files are 320 I'm not sure this is in the intended quality. Like others have said "Sticky Drama" is the one track that I'm not sure about, but I'm really intrigued to come back after my first listen!

thats too bad it leaked this early.

Did anybody get a chance to listen to any of the midi file covers from the album? Maybe i misunderstood but it seemed like he allowed fans to cover the songs off the new album using midi files without even hearing the actual songs first (and that was the first 'full preview' of the lp).

thats too bad it leaked this early.

Did anybody get a chance to listen to any of the midi file covers from the album? Maybe i misunderstood but it seemed like he allowed fans to cover the songs off the new album using midi files without even hearing the actual songs first (and that was the first 'full preview' of the lp).

It does suck it leaked early, hopefully it generates some hype though. Kind of weird he posted that midi and it leaked on the same day. I for one really like it and plan on buying it though.

Here's the only midi cover I heard.