His last few albums almost feel connected in a way, like a child growing up. Replica is like an infancy, very simple, repetitive, but also dense. Rifts and Returnal can also fall into the "infancy" category. R Plus 7 is like kindergarten, much more complex than Replica but still very childlike. GOD is angsty, insecure teenage mallgoth phase.

Beautiful watching OPN grow

Returnal can also fall into the "infancy" category.

:catrage:

man baby, maybe. but returnal is defs no regular baby.

ya, it doesn't follow the infancy label as well as replica, although the song structures are much more simple than stuff off R plus 7 and GOD

Guest bitroast

ya.

the analogy works better if consider replica start of new chapter in his musical career.

rifts / replica is more 'soundscapes' and straight up (psychedelic) ambient music than having a focus on song structures. (altho, zones without people sometimes reminds me of an infant version of r+7). oh god. his entire discography is nothing but infants and angsty or ironic teenagers.

wasn't hyped that much but it's more awesome then i could wish for, trip overdose

replica was a shitlload harder to get into for me, maybe i got used to his style

also sticky drama is a fuckin hit, homie made it

this album is not anywhere near what a black metal fan would like.

photo-2656.gif?_r=1420220645

triggered asswell

1390579_477218539052173_67362720_n.jpg

Edited by Ivan Ooze

This particular album reminds me of when I was 7 or 8 when I was constantly watching AMVs and gameplays of bullet hell shooters on Youtube....

fuck that sentence makes me feel old.

yep this record has exceeded expectations for me, absolutely love it. Dan really knows how to nail a concept album

yeah jesus blank are you only 15 or something lol

I think he's actually 16, or maybe he turned 17 this year.

Actually.

His last few albums almost feel connected in a way, like a child growing up. Replica is like an infancy, very simple, repetitive, but also dense. Rifts and Returnal can also fall into the "infancy" category. R Plus 7 is like kindergarten, much more complex than Replica but still very childlike. GOD is angsty, insecure teenage mallgoth phase.

let's not get too BOC forum in here

in a more practical sense we've seen him grow and expand as a musician. from pure ambient to forging his own path

let's not get too BOC forum in here

in a more practical sense we've seen him grow and expand as a musician. from pure ambient to forging his own path

Agreed, don't think he planned this whole thing out.

but what the hell is pure ambient? I've heard that term used, pure.

Does anyone else feel like this album wasn't mixed very well? I like a lot of it but often it feels like the highs are too harsh, especially in Sticky Drama.

agreed it literally sounds like pure white noise at times

The average listener may be overwhelmed...

maybe, but honestly this is probably one of the most well blended dense 'experimental' and also very pop-friendly vibes to come out in a while. The experimental aspect of it isn't forced in in a cartoonish 'look how weird we are wooooo!' fashion like Animal Collective or Bjork. I think anybody who has a passing interest in weirder music (who doesn't exclusively listen to goth or dark stuff, because this album is not anywhere near what a black metal fan would like) would probably be able to handle it, not to say they'd like it.

Agreed, and I'd add that from my perspective the fact that it sounds so "pop-friendly" may even be the weirdest thing about it in a way.

Fuck this is good. Audio equivalent of an Unreal Tournament death match between Autechre, James Ferraro, and Tiesto.

Favorites right now are "Child of Rage," "Animals," and "Lift."

There is so much going on in each track though. I find it quite overwhelming, like I don't feel as though my brain is keeping up with the audible assault.

BUT, I think that's a good thing, quite incredible music.

CD comes with 24 page booklet (8 page 12" booklet for vinyl), hope we get some cool artwork and LORE with it

ah, now it makes more a little more sense why it leaked so early. manufactures probably had the music ready for pressing a lot earlier than for Syro or other recent Warp releases

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest bitroast

have you compared leak to the sample track I BIte Through It ?

i haven't done any hardcore audacity side by side analysis but just jumping back and forth between the two, the youtube sounds way nice and not so high-heavy

have you compared leak to the sample track I BIte Through It ?

i haven't done any hardcore audacity side by side analysis but just jumping back and forth between the two, the youtube sounds way nice and not so high-heavy

I was worried about this, I think I can kinda hear it now that I compare the two (albeit on crappy laptop speakers). That could explain why the highs are so harsh on some of the album.