IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

finally watched some videos and listened to some audio from this over the last week and it's def in GAS territory. too pricey for a serious consideration most likely, but still super interesting.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chronical said:

That's just a prototype though, don't think you can buy it even if you had the dough

Yeah, I mean in the long run.

If nothing else it's got me thinking about winding some coils soon.

Yes ! Zebralette 3 should be out this year (and free), while Zebra 3 is meant to be ready next year.

Can’t wait for it, the sonics and possibilities of this prototype are already incredible.

52 minutes ago, Nil said:

Yes ! Zebralette 3 should be out this year (and free), while Zebra 3 is meant to be ready next year.

Can’t wait for it, the sonics and possibilities of this prototype are already incredible.

Yes, they are definitely impressive but this is taking ages!!! 

It is, but damn it'll be worth it.

Around the 17 minutes mark :

And that's just one oscillator, and still a WIP. The raw tones are jaw-dropping.

And now, just imagine that in the context of Zebra, with its signature 4 lanes, all the FM goodness derived from Bazille, various comb-filters just like in Hive 2, Diva/Repro-grade filters, all sorts of shapers and MSEGs / LFOs... ?

And I bet they've improved the code bits they're borrowing from their current catalogue.

• Like 2
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

On 5/13/2023 at 5:12 PM, auxien said:

finally watched some videos and listened to some audio from this over the last week and it's def in GAS territory. too pricey for a serious consideration most likely, but still super interesting.

and a similar idea but smaller which looks like a piece of software brought into the real world:

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 5:51 PM, auxien said:

this is pretty fucking brilliant

tl;dw it's miniature controllable guitar feedback (but with tines not strings)

Don't know what I'm missing here. Sounds like a shitty FM bell preset haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, xox said:

Doubt I’ll ever buy it but this thing looks amazing ? 

IMG_4748.jpeg

the fact that you're still doubting it instead of being sure of not buying it is scary to me. this gear blows

1 hour ago, Squee said:

Don't know what I'm missing here. Sounds like a shitty FM bell preset haha

i mean…yeah. but the possibilities for this hybrid style acoustic synthesis or however they’re calling it are pretty unique and should get much more varied, at least in the range of possible instruments offered. obv some time before that all gets more explored

31 minutes ago, chronical said:

the fact that you're still doubting it instead of being sure of not buying it is scary to me. this gear blows

? why? Bc it’s expensive as it is?

1 hour ago, xox said:

Doubt I’ll ever buy it but this thing looks amazing ? 

IMG_4748.jpeg

I read the feature list and product blurbs and it's actually embarassing.

Being able to scrub audio with the "tape wheel" like a tiny CDJ it would be a cool gimmick with some actual practical use, if it was under $200 I might buy one to replace my sticky Zoom h5.

If I was a performance artist I would buy one and then charge $2000 a head for exclusive shows where I wrapped it up in a Supreme tee shirt and stuck it up my butt.

1 hour ago, auxien said:

i mean…yeah. but the possibilities for this hybrid style acoustic synthesis or however they’re calling it are pretty unique and should get much more varied, at least in the range of possible instruments offered. obv some time before that all gets more explored

I'm curious why Korg allowed it to be shown at this stage. I know Tatsuya Takahashi (who is extremely awesome) sorta explained it in in all the demos floating around. But it still seems like an odd choice to show it this early.

Same with the Erica Synths device which came off even worse, imo. Interesting concept but they proved literally nothing of quality in that prototype they showed.

Seems like for both those devices, the developers would have been better off to be patient and wait, imo.

21 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

I'm curious why Korg allowed it to be shown at this stage. I know Tatsuya Takahashi (who is extremely awesome) sorta explained it in in all the demos floating around. But it still seems like an odd choice to show it this early.

Same with the Erica Synths device which came off even worse, imo. Interesting concept but they proved literally nothing of quality in that prototype they showed.

Seems like for both those devices, the developers would have been better off to be patient and wait, imo.

i get that for sure… but i think in both cases (i liked the Steampipe sounds btw!) it was more about just sharing innovation and ideas with other designers and musicians for the joy of it. probably trying to get some feedback too. 

for Tats and the Korg Berlin studio, i imagine they kind of needed to do something to show corporate that people will be interested in spending lots of money (eventually) to justify their continued existence with zero products to show for it so far. i think Tats said there’s 10 people working at Korg Berlin so that’s at the least half a mil a year in salaries and studio space and operating costs. and from what it sounded like, they won’t be releasing anything any time soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, auxien said:

i get that for sure… but i think in both cases (i liked the Steampipe sounds btw!) it was more about just sharing innovation and ideas with other designers and musicians for the joy of it. probably trying to get some feedback too. 

for Tats and the Korg Berlin studio, i imagine they kind of needed to do something to show corporate that people will be interested in spending lots of money (eventually) to justify their continued existence with zero products to show for it so far. i think Tats said there’s 10 people working at Korg Berlin so that’s at the least half a mil a year in salaries and studio space and operating costs. and from what it sounded like, they won’t be releasing anything any time soon.

Yeah that all makes sense. Hadn't considered that my own frustrations are more pressed by the hype machine of youtube.

I am probably being grouchy about the Steampipe but I'm also still a bit skeptical. Really hope they change that horrible reverb to something which would actually match the concept, ie a high-quality room reverb. 

32 minutes ago, auxien said:

Could be related to the overall investment crunch that is going on - some folks in the USA increased interest rates on loans so now it is harder for companies to get loans, therefore every company that wishes to do R&D (i.e. develop some new products) has to start marketing their stuff a lot more in order to attract investment.

Of course Korg should already be a big corporation that does not need outside investment for new product development, but who knows what it's shareholders think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

Yeah that all makes sense. Hadn't considered that my own frustrations are more pressed by the hype machine of youtube.

I am probably being grouchy about the Steampipe but I'm also still a bit skeptical. Really hope they change that horrible reverb to something which would actually match the concept, ie a high-quality room reverb. 

we’re all part of that hype machine for better or worse. great there’s lots of stuff available these days, but also easy to get caught up in it and sidestep the hobby itself (assuming the goal of most buyers is to play/make music…surely some just buy and press keys on presets and that’s it).

i get you on trying to be particular, there’s more than enough choice out there to allow it… personally i know i’m never going to buy a Steampipe anyway, it’s probably going to be 2 grand or something ridiculous, and yeah it’s interesting but i doubt the final product will end up being anything on my radar. cool sounds and idea to approach it with tho.

1 hour ago, thawkins said:

Could be related to the overall investment crunch that is going on - some folks in the USA increased interest rates on loans so now it is harder for companies to get loans, therefore every company that wishes to do R&D (i.e. develop some new products) has to start marketing their stuff a lot more in order to attract investment.

Of course Korg should already be a big corporation that does not need outside investment for new product development, but who knows what it's shareholders think.

yeah i doubt Korg is looking for investor dollars but idk. they may not even be a traded corporation for all i know…they make some alright stuff no matter the corporate status. and anyone doing some actual innovation gets my interest (and maybe even my money?)

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

If I was a performance artist I would buy one and then charge $2000 a head for exclusive shows where I wrapped it up in a Supreme tee shirt and stuck it up my butt.

I didn’t find that in the feature list but good idea ? ? 

27 minutes ago, auxien said:

i get you on trying to be particular, there’s more than enough choice out there to allow it… personally i know i’m never going to buy a Steampipe anyway, it’s probably going to be 2 grand or something ridiculous, and yeah it’s interesting but i doubt the final product will end up being anything on my radar. cool sounds and idea to approach it with tho.

My concerns here are slightly different. It's more an issue of "Who's going to shoot first?".

The market for all this gear is still within a limited scope. The vast majority of stuff coming out ultimately overlaps all kinds of gear that's preceded it, often by the same company producing the new stuff. So when a developer goes out and tries to get some attention saying "hey this is a new concept!", I'm intrigued and want to learn/scrutinize. So then, when what they actually demonstrate doesn't really align to an actual new concept, it feels snake oil-ish. And I do think there's some legitimately negative consequence in that, as it may put other developers off who look up to some of these more successful developers. So yay more Roland/Oberheim cloning!

That's all to say with these specific examples, I think Tats is being legit. And, to put it bluntly, I can't say that for the Steampipe. Which goes to my original frustration about a premature demonstration. Also, I frankly think Erica Synths could have gotten the internal feedback without having to publicly demonstrate. Korg too, since they're both in Berlin. But your point about Korg corporate needing to see some reaction-based buzz makes sense.

Edited by Taupe Beats
  • Like 1

So steam pipe is “optimized for performance with wind MIDI controllers”. I’m curious what that means, playing a wind instrument myself and all (poorly). To the best of my knowledge wind controllers are fairly dumb devices that derive velocity information from the pressure of you blowing into it but nothing more. So what is there to optimize for?