Yeah it wasn’t leaked a month ahead, more like a week or two methinks.

Oversteps digitals were released a month before physical release date...

NTS sessions digitals were released months and months before physical release date. 

Don't feel bad osc! I didn't even know NTS existed until a week ago, and I'm still not listening to it till I get the vinyl goodness :) I also joined the Collapse Ep Leak Resistance - gimme day vinylz

The sound that comes in at around 0:36 in MT1 is sort of similar the sound in I Don't Give A Fuck by DJ Rashad, it even comes in at the same time in the track. Almost like RDJ discovered footwork and was blown away he was missing out on THIS and decided to exercise in it.

https://youtu.be/SWTsLnYO68U?t=45s

(without the hyperdub intro that would be 35-36 seconds in too)

Edited by Guest

Don't feel bad osc! I didn't even know NTS existed until a week ago, and I'm still not listening to it till I get the vinyl goodness :) I also joined the Collapse Ep Leak Resistance - gimme day vinylz

I don't feel bad at all. Gon be awesome when the vinyl arrives and I drop the needle for the first listen.

I already heard this Aphex T69 track thing due to the video, but I'm just gonna wait for the vinyl for the rest. Just like with NTS. I got other shit to do between now and then.

I've tried getting into footwork a few times now.  Some of the Jlin stuff is really good but otherwise it sort of grates on me.  I can tell this EP is influenced by footwork, but I'm absolutely in love with this.  Go figure!

I think this is the most original he has been since Windowlicker. I remember when Drukqs came out ppl were saying he was "repeating himself" even then. I can understand that a bit honestly as much as I love Drukqs. This is nearly HAB level of holy shit-ness. 

honestly i want him to repeat himself. if i wanna hear something completely different i just listen to a different artist

It's clearly him. There is a lot of his signature sound in this but Analord/Tuss/Syro/EPs this is not. 

now I want a BoC footwork album and pretty much all my favourite artists' take at footwork

I want to hear footwork artists take on IDM. 

honestly i want him to repeat himself. if i wanna hear something completely different i just listen to a different artist

It's clearly him. There is a lot of his signature sound in this but Analord/Tuss/Syro/EPs this is not. 

Also most of his career has been about radical shifts in style from album to album.  He went from SAW 2 to Ventolin to RDJ to a jokey death metal track in 3 years!  I get wanting some consistency, but you'd kind of have to pick what he should repeat?

The idea of hearing RDJ's take on footwork is really intriguing. It's not like ambient, jungle, acid and dnb didn't exist before his arrival, so why would anyone be concerned about hearing his take on footwork? Going by his live sets Jlin has to be one of his favorite artists right now. He has played more of her songs in his sets than anyone else's and had her do a remix of one of his tracks too. Why wouldn't he create music with a newer style he enjoys so much?  

So what I'm hearing is Aphex should not be influenced by contemporary electronic music styles as he was in the 90s and should innovate while making music tied to that period's popular emerging styles?

Maybe he should make some big room IDM? Like Eric Prydz meets Stockhausen. 

The idea of hearing RDJ's take on footwork is really intriguing. It's not like ambient, jungle, acid and dnb didn't exist before his arrival, so why would anyone be concerned about hearing his take on footwork? Going by his live sets Jlin has to be one of his favorite artists right now. He has played more of her songs in his sets than anyone else's and had her do a remix of one of his tracks too. Why wouldn't he create music with a newer style he enjoys so much?  

this is all bambi's faulth

thank you bambi!

I don't understand how Aphex Twin can be influenced by some artist making fancy footwork from Gary, Indiana. After 30 years of making music and setting trends and basically inventing genres I thought he was sort of above that. It's like when you're THAT good and famous, you can't let yourself say "well this drum part was sort of inspired by Iglooghost" like seriously wtf.

Also don't understand how anyone can be legitimately from Gary, Indiana.

you mean like the Jackson 5?

I don't understand how Aphex Twin can be influenced by some artist making fancy footwork from Gary, Indiana. After 30 years of making music and setting trends and basically inventing genres I thought he was sort of above that. It's like when you're THAT good and famous, you can't let yourself say "well this drum part was sort of inspired by Iglooghost" like seriously wtf.

Also don't understand how anyone can be legitimately from Gary, Indiana.

you mean like the Jackson 5?

See also: Freddie Gibbs

I've tried getting into footwork a few times now.  Some of the Jlin stuff is really good but otherwise it sort of grates on me.  I can tell this EP is influenced by footwork, but I'm absolutely in love with this.  Go figure!

Despite the clear footworky playfulness on some of the drums, it's not really straight up trying to be "footwork", i think he just likes having a new way to make rhythms. Like abundance, it starts off with a really clear footwork vibe and then it sort of morphs into a SAW 1 era ambient techno piece. It's actually insane how much abundance sounds like a SAW1 track towards the end.