IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust

ghOsty

Sounds fine. Back in the 90s when I pulled out any of this music people reacted to it like it was pointless noise from another planet, so I'm glad to see he is not taking it easy. I'll figure out how much I like it after a few more listens

On 4/14/2019 at 1:18 PM, Soloman Tump said:

The latest issue of Electronic Sound magazine has an interview with him, and describes it as a new kind of musique concrete where he tries to focus on one type of sound production rather than a dance record of various ideas.

I was wondering if I was missing some sort of concept behind the album. I'll have to listen to it again with this in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Just trotskied in to say that I'm quite digging this album, his composition (songcraft?) powers that were sorely lax on isam are back in full effect imo.  It's a refreshing palette of timbres he's working with too - one of the things I loved about his post-Supermodifed run is that he had by then established a fully trademarkable my-fucking-sound yet continued to unfurl and evolve it in new and interesting directions.  This feels like such an excursion but into a parallel Tobin universe.

Also how is it that no one has yet shoppe'd ye olde cover album with various peekers-out from behind the trees in the background, like some wildlings or creepy corporate meme guy?    

Edited by BobDobalina

46 minutes ago, lawrenke said:

new Two Fingers track 

this feels more like old clark than amon tobin but eh.. its ok

gonne give the album a listen soonish

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, BobDobalina said:

For the record Foley Room is a top notch AT album; isam, not so much

I'm a year late, but I agree. Foley Room has some of his greatest tunes, and ISAM I might've been too harsh on first listen, but a bit too messy for me. Kitty Cat is a bop tho

On 1/19/2019 at 11:14 AM, dr lopez said:

yes yes it's true. his 11 year run from adventures to foley room are absolutely essential, canonical. 

damn this is a good post lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nikisoko said:

how many great musicians must be destroyed by eurorack?!?

The latest Ghostcards EP made in collaboration with Thijs from Noisia if fucking brilliant - and so was Fear in a Handful of Dust and Long Stories.

Is that ghosstcards ep the one that sounds like it was recorded through rotary speakers? That was all right.

Edited by Gocab

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah I miss being young but Bricolage is a much better album IMHO.

Maybe doesn't have as much cutting edge sound design or whatever but I reckon Amon is much better at sample collage than making his own stuff. Similar to DJ Shadow in that respect.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

Yeah I miss being young but Bricolage is a much better album IMHO.

Maybe doesn't have as much cutting edge sound design or whatever but I reckon Amon is much better at sample collage than making his own stuff. Similar to DJ Shadow in that respect.

i generally agree though I think amon's newer stuff is wayyyy stronger than new shadow.  i do think the last few albums that have been heavy on modular and/or using "sample mapped" samples instead of phrase samples are quite good. i just prefer his older stuff overall.

• 8 months later...

I totally slept on his Only Child Tyrant project. I like that newish track of his, which sounds like a rock band doing something in the vein of the splinter cell: chaos theory soundtrack.

Edit: oh yeah, I've listened to this (fear...) album in full now, it's ok.

Edited by Silent Member