IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

On 6/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, Rubin Farr said:

It sounds like Brazil is seriously fucked, as was predicted by their leader's inaction.  34,918 new cases in one day, jeez.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23N3EE

Really hope that random 4chan prediction about Brazil and their bats turns out to be incorrect. It's sorta playing out like OP said it would so far.

16 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Really hope that random 4chan prediction about Brazil and their bats turns out to be incorrect. It's sorta playing out like OP said it would so far.

oh shit.. i remember that post. wtf. brazil is in a really sad place w/the covid. dire. 

30 minutes ago, ignatius said:

oh shit.. i remember that post. wtf. brazil is in a really sad place w/the covid. dire. 

To save the sake of browsing back too many pages...what was the prediction again?

16 minutes ago, Extralife said:

To save the sake of browsing back too many pages...what was the prediction again?

So I'm kind of glad I didn't say anything about it two days ago when I was tempted to post but I knew about this ahead of time. I decided against posting on Tuesday that WHO was about to declare a global emergency but I've still had mixed feelings and I can't be easily identified at this point so I'll let you know now /pol/ that it's way worse than what you're being told. I'll preface this by saying I work in finance and have friends and family in the medical industry and field, including at CDC and one close friend at WHO.

For starters the Ro (pronounced R naught) is actually around 6, not 3. Secondly it's slightly more lethal in current form, with China covering up a LOT of the deaths by passing them off as heart attacks, pneumonia, kidney failure, all sorts of official causes to hide the real numbers. CDC and WHO are highly aware of this. You will also hear the phrase "confirmed cases." It's presently thought by epidemiologists that China surpassed 120,000 cases on Tuesday at the lowest; it is also possible they hit 100k over a week ago. All they know for sure is China definitely had at minimum 120,000 infections by Tuesday.

There are very high profile investors who've been silently pulling out ahead of time. Travel and tourism, the hospitality and service industries, these are just the most immediate and obvious. Manufacturing is about to go on a wild ride. The only "safe" industries to invest in right now are the biomedical fields and plastics oddly enough. Virtually all other industries are going to be massively hit and anybody in the know has been trying to do this as quietly as possible before SHTF partly to avoid insider trading allegations but more importantly to not start a panic.

This is also why CDC and WHO is hiding it. So far as they are concerned, no matter how bad the disease is, a panic is always going to be worse. This is also why a lot of economists are downplaying it or outright lying to you.
in the next year or two. 

Anonymous ID:nQzQS2i3 Thu 30 Jan 2020 18:42:29 No.241674181  Report
Quoted By: >>241696077
In the coming months the disease is going to be sustaining infections globally including sustained local infections in virtually every major metropolitan center on earth by late May. US CDC and WHO are both projecting anywhere from 60,000 to 2 million deaths by early summer. Again, they are downplaying this because 2 million is not considered to be a lot of people, but that's under their assumption that they can stall the infections in every major urban zone.

Now for the bad part. They are expecting this thing to mutate further. Those results from the Australian lab are not good. This virus has a very high propensity to mutate into a highly lethal form and WHO is predicting a fairly probable likelihood that if it reaches certain bat populations in Brazil that it can jump to a 15% lethality rate. That means that the minute you hear about Rio or Brasilia or wherever reporting cases you need to immediately make sure you've got a month worth of supplies because it's going to start killing many millions of people. So far as people like WHO are concerned who deal with numbers like that all the time this isn't major and they're more concerned about lying to you that everything is not that bad because their calculus is that more people will die from refusing to seek medical treatment for anything from cancer to heart disease or other illnesses from hysteria over getting infected with this nCoV.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Tbh, the number of confirmed cases at itself is quite meaningless. It depends on the number of tests done. And the percentage of positives from those tests. And then there's the obvious: look at the per capita to assess whether the highest count also means the highest per capita.

There's not much to conclude from this graph, if you ask me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goDel said:

Tbh, the number of confirmed cases at itself is quite meaningless. It depends on the number of tests done. And the percentage of positives from those tests. And then there's the obvious: look at the per capita to assess whether the highest count also means the highest per capita.

Adjust parameters yourself for satisfaction: https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=usa&areas=gbr&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usnj&cumulative=0&logScale=1&perMillion=0&values=deaths  

34 minutes ago, goDel said:

I'd disagree with your precise wording. It's not totally meaningless. You cannot find 2 million cases if there are not 2 million cases. It reveals cases that are there. It's true that tests done is a factor, but it's also true that existing cases is a factor. I only correct you because the Wizard of Id has been telling americans that we only have high numbers because he did such a good job on testing (he didn't, and that contributed to the prevalence being so bad). his base of the uneducated and ignorant go with it.

Positivity rate is a useful metric, and has been reported more, lately. It's the percent of the tests that are coming back positive. In some of the states that are spiking, in the US, the positivity rate is rather high.

I agree that per capita is a very useful metric. deaths per capita is probably the most to the point. 

in my town, 0.2% of the population has died from COVID. and it's one of the towns where people wear masks, and we have been shut down for much of the time.

and no, elon musk, that's not significantly off because of the probable segment. that data is released and the probable segment is a small fraction of the total.

Edited by very honest

2 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Trump's gonna blow a gasket if EU re-opens travel but keeps the ban on US.

?

Edited by caze
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 2

3 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Trump's gonna blow a gasket if EU re-opens travel but keeps the ban on US.

state of NY is mandating quarantine for travelers coming in from certain states.

3 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

65460D47-50DA-4275-87F3-E7FB543AAD9F.jpeg

How about that? It's almost like epidemiologists knew what they were talking about when they said this exact thing could happen if people didn't fucking take this seriously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1