IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

43 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

65460D47-50DA-4275-87F3-E7FB543AAD9F.jpeg

Sometimes I am ashamed of my country. I knew the US would get bored of the virus, and then pretend it didn't exist as newer more interesting things became newsworthy. But there was another thought that held out hope that that wouldn't happen. Yet again the USA thinks the same logic that applies everywhere else doesn't apply to us because "we're special" I guess.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

24 minutes ago, very honest said:

steady clip of 100k dead per 3 months.  comparable to a ww1 battle. verdun killed about 300,000 in 10 months. US covid is a little worse than verdun, death-toll-wise.

In the future, every time someone brings up some tragic event with a large death toll and pretends to care, I'ma ask them if they wore a mask during the epidemic. Fucking no one is wearing a mask it seems. Every fifth person I pass by here in Texas has a mask on. Mostly elderly people. Now it didn't hit my area as hard as most areas, but that could change at any moment considering we've got a long time left.

I was listening to a worker in the convenience store bitching about it earlier today. Like, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to some people to just wear a mask in public for a few months. Idiots. Man this whole thing puts me in a bad mood. The broken logic of conservatives man. They have an inability to understand basic statistics or something. They think just because it isn't THAT BAD here, must mean the whole thing is over-blown. Then they just make up their own "facts" about the virus, then proceed to believe it due to their distrustful nature of science... okay I'm done ranting. Preaching to the choir anyway so I'm basically just venting.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

In the future, every time someone brings up some tragic event with a large death toll and pretends to care, I'ma ask them if they wore a mask during the epidemic. Fucking no one is wearing a mask it seems. Every fifth person I pass by here in Texas has a mask on. Mostly elderly people. Now it didn't hit my area as hard as most areas, but that could change at any moment considering we've got a long time left.

I was listening to a worker in the convenience store bitching about it earlier today. Like, I don't understand why it's such a big deal to some people to just wear a mask in public for a few months. Idiots. Man this whole thing puts me in a bad mood. The broken logic of conservatives man. They have an inability to understand basic statistics or something. They think just because it isn't THAT BAD here, must mean the whole thing is over-blown. Then they just make up their own "facts" about the virus, then proceed to believe it due to their distrustful nature of science... okay I'm done ranting. Preaching to the choir anyway so I'm basically just venting.

i'm so grateful lot's of people wearing masks here. the grocery store i go to is limiting entrance so the store doesn't get crowded and they require a mask to enter and are sterilizing all the carts continuously. no lines allowed at the checkout. staging is distanced while waiting to be called to the cashier. takes a lot of stress out of the process. 

convenience store workers wearing masks here. not complaining at least not the store i go to. there's plexiglass shields everywhere now. 

I still see far too many people out in public w/o masks. Hell, even my own co-workers.

Even saw at least two people throw full-on Karen shit-fits for being told that they need a mask to enter our building. I simply have no patience for this infantile Trump-enabled behavior.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I knew the US would get bored of the virus, and then pretend it didn't exist as newer more interesting things became newsworthy. But there was another thought that held out hope that that wouldn't happen. Yet again the USA thinks the same logic that applies everywhere else doesn't apply to us because "we're special" I guess.

This moment really is the nexus of American foot-gunning, isn't it? Decades of exceptionalist Hollywood propaganda, neoliberalism, privatized health care, 24-hour news cycle, Overton window right-ratcheting, religious magical thinking, gutting public education, economic disparity.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Most people in NJ are still wearing masks everywhere.  It's all the fuckwads from the spiking red states coming up here that I'm worried about.

Regarding the broken logic of conservatives, I'm starting to see "conservatives" and "liberals", or republicans and democrats in a different way, where it all boils down to if you care for others more than yourself.  Conservatives care for themselves more than others and liberals care for others more than themselves.  Only a selfish mindset would cause someone to refuse to wear a mask. Their argument is always, "if I get it, I get it, big deal."  But it's not about you, is it, asshole?  It's about stopping the spread so that someone less healthy than you can keep living.  It's probably an oversimplification, but I'm starting to see all conservative behavior as just motivated by selfishness.

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 3

No that sounds about right. I live in a red state in the US where the cases are spiking again. I attempted to go to a local farmers market a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday morning and I won't be going back. Maybe 10% of people wearing masks, no social distancing that I could see. I waited in one line that was trying to social distance but people just kept walking right by me up close and personal when they could have just taken a few steps to walk behind me. Some weird looking woman actually got up in a guy's face in front of me and said "Really? Outside? Why are you wearing a mask outside?"

We truly are Idiocracy here and I would not blame other states if they want to enforce a quarantine for people coming from states with cases spiking.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, psn said:

"Conservative" is becoming a meaningless term. These people aren't even reactionary, they are downright nihilistic.

Even the more traditional conservative behaviors I am starting to see as serving one's self more than others.

Don't get me wrong, we need a balance of ideologies to have a healthy society, but let's start calling it what it is.

• Like 1

The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. Even when the revolutionist might himself repent of his revolution, the traditionalist is already defending it as part of his tradition. Thus we have two great types — the advanced person who rushes us into ruin, and the retrospective person who admires the ruins. He admires them especially by moonlight, not to say moonshine. Each new blunder of the progressive or prig becomes instantly a legend of immemorial antiquity for the snob. This is called the balance, or mutual check, in our Constitution. (G.K. Chesterton Illustrated London News, 1924)

• Like 1

hey England - don't y'all know that flocking to beaches during a pandemic, ignoring social distancing, no masks, leaving trash everywhere, and acting like assholes are what us 'mericans are known for? c'mon, don't join the club here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Council said Bournemouth Beach was "stretched to the absolute hilt" on the second day of a UK heatwave.

Dorset Police said there were reports of gridlocked roads, fights and overnight camping.

It said 33 tonnes of waste was cleaned up along the coastline on Thursday morning, along with eight tonnes collected between the piers on Wednesday.

From Bournemouth pier there are thousands of people as far as the eye can see. Some in the sea on inflatables, others sitting on the sand, there are significant [numbers of] gazebos - there is one group of about 50 people.

One man told me he camped in a tent overnight, a lot of people have come from Birmingham - a six-hour round trip. People were telling me they wanted to get "out and about" after lockdown.

It's incredibly hard to keep social distancing  - people are passing each other certainly at less than 2m.

One woman from Birmingham admitted she felt uncomfortable, but said: "You've got to understand, after three months lockdown in the city centre, even seeing the sea is worth it."

To be fair, I haven't even seen anyone wearing a mask where I live. I don't even own one. I would wear it immediately if there was community risk, or if I lived in a more urban area, as it is the responsible thing to do, but QLD hasn't had a new case in nearly 10 days and I'm days from the nearest state border (which is still restricted).

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, psn said:

"Conservative" is becoming a meaningless term. These people aren't even reactionary, they are downright nihilistic.

I guess I could be more specific and say "The population of conservatives who don't really care about other people". But I feel that's implied talking about conservatives in the context of apathy toward the virus. 98% of whom are conservatives, though #NotAllConservatives I guess.

Edited by Brisbot

1 hour ago, Roo said:

To be fair, I haven't even seen anyone wearing a mask where I live. I don't even own one. I would wear it immediately if there was community risk, or if I lived in a more urban area, as it is the responsible thing to do, but QLD hasn't had a new case in nearly 10 days and I'm days from the nearest state border (which is still restricted).

I think prevention is any further cases is reason enough to wear a mask. There's been various communities who stopped having new cases completely, only to start getting them again when people started getting bored of hearing about it.

And I imagine toward the end of the year you wouldn't need to wear one anymore. At least for now.

Edited by Brisbot

13 hours ago, randomsummer said:

Regarding the broken logic of conservatives, I'm starting to see "conservatives" and "liberals", or republicans and democrats in a different way, where it all boils down to if you care for others more than yourself.  Conservatives care for themselves more than others and liberals care for others more than themselves.  Only a selfish mindset would cause someone to refuse to wear a mask. Their argument is always, "if I get it, I get it, big deal."  But it's not about you, is it, asshole?  It's about stopping the spread so that someone less healthy than you can keep living.  It's probably an oversimplification, but I'm starting to see all conservative behavior as just motivated by selfishness.

That's pretty much it exactly. If it's not that, it's mostly people who are too unaware of common human decency to realize they side with a bunch of selfish people. Most people who I deal with who are like that (family, coworkers) aren't necessarily complete pieces of shit but they only care about politics in how it affects how much money they make.

• Like 3

^^^ and that message comes from the top down

White House Official: Americans Will “Just Have to Live With” Massive Coronavirus Surge

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/larry-kudlow-americans-just-have-to-live-with-covid-19.html

--

Well, I keep seeing statements to the effect that Americans were too impatient to stay the course, too unwilling to act responsibly. But this is deeply misleading, because it avoids confronting the essence of the problem. Americans didn’t fail the Covid-19 test; Republicans did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/opinion/coronavirus-republicans.html

--

"4 California counties behind spike in Covid19 hospitalizations" - apparently they're republican enclaves

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-24/4-suburban-california-counties-behind-dangerous-spike-in-covid-19-hospitalizations

• Like 2

It's as if Trump is totally OK with "Kung Flu" proliferating to levels beyond what we've seen 2 to 3 months ago.

I hope this reduces the odds of a second term at least.

6 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I guess I could be more specific and say "The population of conservatives who don't really care about other people". But I feel that's implied talking about conservatives in the context of apathy toward the virus. 98% of whom are conservatives, though #NotAllConservatives I guess.

Yeah, I didn't misunderstand what you were saying, just a more general observation.

Edited by psn
  • Like 1

https://eand.co/the-red-states-of-coronavirus-b432ef7ed9d0

Yes, really. Florida had 4000 new cases yesterday. Just Florida alone!

Pakistan — the entire country — had 5000 cases. Florida’s population is 21 million. Pakistan’s population is…212 million. On a per capita basis, that means that Florida alone has about ten times as many new cases as Pakistan.

Let’s do one more example to drive the point home. India had about 15,000 new Coronavirus cases yesterday. That’s more than Red States, for once. But India’s population is about 1.4 billion — which is ten times that of Red States. Again, in per capita terms, Red States are doing much, much worse. How much so? About eight to ten times worse, if we believe India’s official numbers. And if we don’t, the best we can say is that they’re doing about as well as India, in a very very generous interpretation.