IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

good quote from a guardian article:

"When hysteria is rife, we might try some history. In 1997 we were told that bird flu could kill millions worldwide. Thankfully, it did not. In 1999 European Union scientists warned that BSE “could kill 500,000 people”. In total, 177 Britons died of vCJD. The first Sars outbreak of 2003 was reported by as having “a 25% chance of killings tens of millions” and being “worse than Aids”. In 2006, another bout of bird flu was declared “the first pandemic of the 21st century”, the scares in 2003, 2004 and 2005 having failed to meet their body counts.
Then, in 2009, pigs replaced birds. The BBC announced that swine flu “could really explode”. The chief medical officer, Liam Donaldson, declared that “65,000 could die”. He spent £560m on a Tamiflu and Relenza stockpile, which soon deteriorated. The Council of Europe’s health committee chairman described the hyping of the 2009 pandemic as “one of the great medical scandals of the century”. These scenarios could have all come to pass of course – but they represent the direr end of the scale of predictions. Should public life really be conducted on a worst-case basis?"

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-hype-crisis-predictions-sars-swine-flu-panics

1 hour ago, BCM said:

good quote from a guardian article:

"When hysteria is rife, we might try some history. In 1997 we were told that bird flu could kill millions worldwide. Thankfully, it did not. In 1999 European Union scientists warned that BSE “could kill 500,000 people”. In total, 177 Britons died of vCJD. The first Sars outbreak of 2003 was reported by as having “a 25% chance of killings tens of millions” and being “worse than Aids”. In 2006, another bout of bird flu was declared “the first pandemic of the 21st century”, the scares in 2003, 2004 and 2005 having failed to meet their body counts.
Then, in 2009, pigs replaced birds. The BBC announced that swine flu “could really explode”. The chief medical officer, Liam Donaldson, declared that “65,000 could die”. He spent £560m on a Tamiflu and Relenza stockpile, which soon deteriorated. The Council of Europe’s health committee chairman described the hyping of the 2009 pandemic as “one of the great medical scandals of the century”. These scenarios could have all come to pass of course – but they represent the direr end of the scale of predictions. Should public life really be conducted on a worst-case basis?"

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-hype-crisis-predictions-sars-swine-flu-panics

There is one thing that makes this different from all other epidemics: TRUMP

• Burger 1

Four out of five people who contract coronavirus will only experience mild symptoms, a WHO examination of data from 56,000 patients says.

About one billion people catch [normal] influenza every year, with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BCM said:

Four out of five people who contract coronavirus will only experience mild symptoms, a WHO examination of data from 56,000 patients says.

About one billion people catch [normal] influenza every year, with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths.

The 1918 Spanish Flu, which is a corona virus, was "just a flu" during the spring as well and had an identical rate to the flu as well, with more elderly people dying than other demographics. During the fall of the same year, the Spanish flu came back with a vengeance and killed off 3% of the population within a month, which was under 2 billion at the time. The population has quadrupled since then and the same thing is likely to happen when the second wave comes. It didn't discriminate this time and it killed far more young healthy people that time around because the first wave primed the immune systems of those infected and the subsequent cytokine secretions went out of control.

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

There is one thing that makes this different from all other epidemics: TRUMP

incompetent government does have some effect on these kinds of things. 

13 minutes ago, ignatius said:

incompetent government does have some effect on these kinds of things. 

how you feeling, ignatius? saw your post wednesday

Edited by very honest
  • Thanks 1

yeah french government is on top as usual :

Last week of january : Coronavirus lol not afraid, no risk of epidemic AT ALL. !

Now : An epidemic is INEVITABLE !

electing a bankster for president was a great idea really !

8 minutes ago, very honest said:

how you feeling, ignatius? saw your post wednesday

not too bad. thanks. no cough or fever. i had family visiting while ago and they both had recently been sick so i guess i got whatever they had. it's annoying as hell. i went to the doctor out of an abundance of caution because the chemo drug i take beats up my immune system some so i'm more prone to to this kind of shit. mostly i have that woozy flu type fatigue.

20 hours ago, caze said:

this shit better not interfere with Liverpool winning the title.

Sorry lads, season canceled. 

Spoiler

Is the headline I’d like to read  

1 hour ago, very honest said:

ah ok. probably something else. stay hydrated and eat.

that's my plan. stayed home from work today. there's a synth fest trade show thing down the street from the shop so it'll probably be busy. so would be totally shitty of me to go in and possibly get people sick. 

When I was sick with a cold as a kid, my mom would send me to school anyway to contaminate the other kids.  That's probably not actually why she sent me to school, but it was the effect.  So just tell 'em Zephyr's mom sent you and it should be okay.

• Like 3