IGNORED

Do you listen to music more on bandcamp, soundcloud, or something else?

Brisbot

bandcamp for browsing/buying, soundcloud when sent links to things there otherwise i never go there, never streaming things anywhere though will look up a track now and then on youtube. 

mostly listen to the ipod playlists i add to/rearrange every so often or big playlists of one artist or another. sometimes podcasts or OPB (NPR).

streaming just has no attraction for me especially when i own so much music i like to listen to and never get tired of. a handful of new releases each year is more than enough new stuff to go w/the old. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, ignatius said:

streaming just has no attraction for me especially when i own so much music i like to listen to and never get tired of. a handful of new releases each year is more than enough new stuff to go w/the old. 

This 'ere. Almost 2020 and I still keep a digital library (flacs mostly) which seems to be a dying thing.  Foobar has been great over the years in keeping it manageable, also for doing transcodes/transfers to my phone or the USB thumb drive for the car. These days I generally buy the digital vinyls through Bandcamp, Bleep, or the rare Amazon Music.

39 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Have a huge record collection that I almost never listen too and am embarrassed I’ve spent so much money on.

Same, though more CDs than records, though at least CDs can be ripped.  They also take up space and material neither of which I get excited about consuming anymore.

Edited by BobDobalina
  • Like 2

I’m a sucker for Spotify. Sorry but I just love it, be it at home or on the move. Then I have my HD Walkman for tracks that aren’t on Spotify, like the soundcloud dump. Over the weekend I’ll crank up my CD player and amp and play some shiny discs along with using Spotify. At this moment in time my vinyl collection just gathers dust as I’ve just got out the habit of playing records.

Talking about Spotify I’d be more than happy to pay double for it so artists can get more cash. A tenner a month seems absurd but it is what it is.

• Like 2

I mostly listen to "alternatively" sourced filez locally. Don't have Spotify. Bandcamp I use to preview tracks and occiassionally buy from there. Youtube for previewing tracks as well. Don't really use Soundcloud. Will be listening to more vinyl once I move and settle to a bigger place by the end of next month.

• Like 3

Bandcamp, Soundcloud and selected shops' listings for previews and stalking what's being released; listening almost exclusively from local files or turntables. No streaming because fuck Spotify and its ilk; YouTube very rarely directly, more as embeds when scouring Discogs. I've got about 6500 vinyls, 1000-odd CDs and 25000-plus digital tracks with some overlap with physical releases I have (mostly due to vinyl having accompanying digitals). I listen and play only music that I've bought and paid for, I do zero pirating.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ashamed to say it, but 99% Spotify. When I (almost) excusively listen to music while working (like now on spotify web player on my work pc) or on my phone during hikes/training/commuting, I have no use for files. In a perfect convenient world I would pay a lot more for Spotify, and Spotify would pay artist decent wages. I bought a new record player a few months ago, hoping it would lead to massive vinyl "investement", but I've just bought one album after that.

New years resolution would probably be to buy more music. A record here and there, and support artists on bandcamp while still listening to them on Spotify. 

• Like 3

Bandcamp for buying and previewing. Used to discover things on Soundcloud but it got kinda bad it had it's time. Youtube is ok I guess some cool channels. I have a big cd and vinyl collection which these days just fills bookshelves and collects dust, separated myself from physical media collecting years ago. I get annoyed with vinyl only limited crap and those "dumb" Japanese bonus tracks.

• Like 4

foobar2000 on pc and phone, Sandisk Clip when I run. I don't tend to use the Bandcamp streaming much once I own the release, and stuff I haven't bought I'm more likely to stream using YouTube actually. Soundcloud is only for a handful of artists I follow on there, and even then I'll probably download the files if it's something I care to hear more than once (and the option is available).

• Like 2

research: discogs/ whosampled/ archive.org .. going after specific artist/musician/producer/engineer/studio..usually ends in yt

newthings: some blogs/twitters/watmm->->->bandcamp/soundcloud/yt ..in general: too much stuff around, not liking the A.I.-suggest-approach

listening: nts/mixes->->->research, no spfy

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dcom said:

Bandcamp, Soundcloud and selected shops' listings for previews and stalking what's being released; listening almost exclusively from local files or turntables. No streaming because fuck Spotify and its ilk; YouTube very rarely directly, more as embeds when scouring Discogs. I've got about 6500 vinyls, 1000-odd CDs and 25000-plus digital tracks with some overlap with physical releases I have (mostly due to vinyl having accompanying digitals). I listen and play only music that I've bought and paid for, I do zero pirating.

Forgot one very particular one: I don't listen to other people's DJ mixes or sets, but I tend to check plenty of them out for track listings and if I'm lucky there's something I haven't assimilated yet; I don't listen to the track from the mix, I hunt down the primary source and if it's a new artist (or label) for me, I check out their Discogs for more. I'm almost always on the prowl.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

due to lockdowns/WFH, i'd say my consumption of music lately has been 50% digital library, 30% vinyl and 20% streaming (spotify)

but usually it's more like 50% spotify, 30% digis and 20% vinyl (i don't have my digitals at work, and commuting eats into vinyl time)

i buy a lot of music off bandcamp but i never use it for streaming... and other than regularly checking in on the user18081971 page, i rarely use soundcloud.

i think i'd probably be more inclined to use bandcamp as a streaming service if they built a proper app for it, with playlist integration, etc. but sadly i can't see it fully weaning me off spotify, as it has loads of that stuff isn't on bandcamp (although in bc's defense, that does seem to be improving in recent years)

• Like 1

I use Mixcloud to stream radio shows from Resonance FM (and Extra), Noods, Rinse etc.

Neon Hospice also has some good shows including the new Ekoplekz artists show starting in January.

I use bandcamp a lot for streaming and downloads, the rest of CD/Tape/Vinyl (although all my CDs and vinyl are currently in storage for another month)

• Like 2

I stream to preview / discover stuffs (on SC or BC) then buy what I like on Bandcamp.

Even if I still often buy physical releases, I just really listen to the flac files.

• Like 3

Bandcamp and iTunes. i still buy bits of this and that on Bleep/Boomkat occasionally, but upload all my files over to iTunes (tried other music players over the last few years but have given up and gone back to iTunes since i’m using an iPhone now and all the other HQ music players fucking suck.)

i listen to a fair amount of CDs, but have digitals of most all of them saved to iTunes anyway. 

will do some hunting for rare/obscure/mainstream stuff on YouTube now that i’ve sworn off Spotify (not that YT is morally any different than Spotify ofc)

most of the time i’m streaming files via iTunes or streaming via Bandcamp...which btw it looks to me like they’re leaning towards adding in playlists and such soonish. 

Edited by auxien
  • Like 2

Bandcamp mostly lately, use their app for keeping up with subscriptions (i subscribe to pages even if not buying), really appreciate the artist-to-fans messaging there -- it's still empty enough to be attentive. Dig the deserted ecosystem (sorta focused myspace/soundcloud hybrid) and hope they'd built on it, tho maybe these are the best days already.

I listen to the purchased stuff thru files on the computa.

Occasionally use youtube. Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

winamp, cds when driving, and vinyl but my setup is out of commission until I get a new receiver. if i buy digitals it's usually on bandcamp, I fucking love bandcamp

sometimes I use Plex to stream music from my computer on other devices. I'll use spotify if I want to send a playlist to a friend but I kind of hate it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, chim said:

BC strictly for purchasing. Soundcloud for discovering, Spotify for streaming the same ol'

it really is the best route for purchasing unless the artist specifically has distro elsewhere

• Like 2