• 2 weeks later...

I got the 'vid.

Worst seems to be over.  Most notable symptoms were hardcore fatigue and a pain in my ears that wasn't quite an ear infection, sensation-wise.  Cough, sore throat and congestion were all about average.  This is with double vaccination.  First day I had a mild sore throat and headache that did not strike me as cold related, next two days included those notable symptoms I mentioned.  Today I feel pretty normal but need to self-isolate, obviously.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I got the 'vid.

Worst seems to be over.  Most notable symptoms were hardcore fatigue and a pain in my ears that wasn't quite an ear infection, sensation-wise.  Cough, sore throat and congestion were all about average.  This is with double vaccination.  First day I had a mild sore throat and headache that did not strike me as cold related, next two days included those notable symptoms I mentioned.  Today I feel pretty normal but need to self-isolate, obviously.

Get better mate.

Did you get tinnitus? no earing loss?

If i had one thing to advise is watch out for sudden energy crash upon effort if you felt hardcore fatigue. Happened to me and a few other people i know, you feel normal and boom it hits you again. Will not necessarily happen but it's one thing to watch out. Hopefully you won't get it.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Get better mate.

If i had one thing to advise is watch out for sudden energy crash upon effort if you felt hardcore fatigue. Happened to me and a few other people i know, you feel normal and boom it hits you again. Will not necessarily happen but it's one thing to watch out. Hopefully you won't get it.

Yeah, I hope the ears are OK. I met someone recently, mid 30s, double vaxxed at the time. Caught covid last september, had a terrible ear infection that never went away, and now has 60% hearing loss in one ear, terrible tinnitus and hyper acuity. The docs say they cant give him an implant or hearing aid because the inflammation is still there.

• Sad 2

My brother had something very similar symptomatically. Went to audiology, got a query-possible meniere's disease diagnosis because his balance is wobbly in phases (not all the time). Can’t drive, which compounds work access but I think the consultant was reaching with meniere's as a diversion away from lengthy long Covid clinic queues.

Long story short, he got a long Covid referral after months of being bounced round irrelevant depts that wanted to help but couldn’t. What happens next is anyone’s guess.

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that. I hope he has a positive outcome.

Its appalling to think that there's probably about a 10% chance of a life changing condition everytime we catch covid, and we are expected to catch it multiple times a year. This cannot continue.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

My brother had something very similar symptomatically. Went to audiology, got a query-possible meniere's disease diagnosis because his balance is wobbly in phases (not all the time). Can’t drive, which compounds work access but I think the consultant was reaching with meniere's as a diversion away from lengthy long Covid clinic queues.

Long story short, he got a long Covid referral after months of being bounced round irrelevant depts that wanted to help but couldn’t. What happens next is anyone’s guess.

usually w/meniere's is a possible diagnosis they do a scan of the head to check for tumors. it's the first thing they rule out. there are some tests for meniere's to determine if it's BPV (benign position vertigo) or whatever it's called. meniere's sucks. long covid seems like it would suck too though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Get better mate.

No tinnitus or hearing loss.  Cough worsened for a bit last night, but I was able to sleep several hours uninterrupted.  My throat was annoying me when I first woke up, but a cup of tea fixed that.  Now the most notable symptom is a pressure in my ears, but pretty easy to ignore.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Getting ear damage from Covid is probably the one long Covid effect i fear the most...

Rough shit...

Yeah I second this. I get ear infections easily and always end up with plugged ears at best when I have a cold, don't want to imagine a worse version of that from COVID :wtf:.

Just found out I'm a close contact of a confirmed case, had an extended conversation with this person on tuesday without masks, so right now I'm in the waiting period. Had to cancel my birthday plans :trashbear:

• Like 1

Finally got my baby their first shot yesterday! If you don’t have kids, just try to imagine getting pregnant January 2020 and finding out a month later that your life is going to 500x trickier than the average conscientious individual for the next few years… then actually living through the pandemic with a newborn prior to available vaccines… then trying to be smart and protective of a precious little person by avoiding all risky situations in a wack-a-mole landscape of shitheads after vaccines are available and living like you are still in March 2020 for 2 years. Thanks to circumstances, my baby still hasn’t even met my mom. It’s been hard. We’ve missed funerals of loved ones, holidays, etc. I know little ones by and large aren’t as likely to get serious illness but there’s always a risk and I’m of the mind that if I can do whatever I can to keep my favorite person safe (especially if it’s doable) l’ll do that. We’re not in the clear yet but it feels good to almost be there.  
 ?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Finally got my baby their first shot yesterday! If you don’t have kids, just try to imagine getting pregnant January 2020 and finding out a month later that your life is going to 500x trickier than the average conscientious individual for the next few years… then actually living through the pandemic with a newborn prior to available vaccines… then trying to be smart and protective of a precious little person by avoiding all risky situations in a wack-a-mole landscape of shitheads after vaccines are available and living like you are still in March 2020 for 2 years. Thanks to circumstances, my baby still hasn’t even met my mom. It’s been hard. We’ve missed funerals of loved ones, holidays, etc. I know little ones by and large aren’t as likely to get serious illness but there’s always a risk and I’m of the mind that if I can do whatever I can to keep my favorite person safe (especially if it’s doable) l’ll do that. We’re not in the clear yet but it feels good to almost be there.  
 ?

Oof.

Must suck to say the least. Talk about playing life on hard mode hahaha

Stay strong. Hopefully now itll be smoother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:14 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

?

you need therapy

• Haha 2

The rapid appearance of more variants in ever shorter periods of time spells incalculable trouble. Many researchers now suspect some of the variants have arisen in immunocompromised patients with no real defences where mutations can evolve at hyper speed. “The possibility of SARS-CoV-2 evolving resistance to existing therapies during such infections is real,” warns Cambridge researcher Ravindra Gupta in a recent Lancet letter. “Hence, curing COVID-19 infections in immunocompromised individuals is of crucial importance as it is possible that an existing patient might harbour the next variant, a highly transmissible new variant of concern that challenges immunity and existing therapeutics.” 

Facing a new, grim reality

So here is the uncomfortable reality the authorities don’t want to talk about but to which every citizen must pay attention.

The pandemic is not over, and it will not likely end for years. It spreads through the air in aerosols like a viral smoke, in distances greater than two metres. The disease (a thrombotic fever) is not mild. Just one infection can destabilize your immune system and age it by 10 years. The risk of long COVID increases with each infection. Reinfections harm the immune system and increase hospitalizations and death even among the vaccinated. (Just watch the data coming out of England and Quebec now.)

Meanwhile, the virus is now evolving at a rate faster than vaccine development (three waves this year alone). And the effectiveness of current vaccines are now waning. Mother Nature offers no guarantee that virus will evolve to a benign or endemic state this year or the next. Meanwhile human behaviour has increased biological risk instead of dampening it.

In real terms “living with the virus” means living with a normalization of death, reinfections, long COVID, disruption and exhausted health-care workers. People would never vote for a deteriorating quality of life and risk, but that’s where public policy is now taking us.

^ The problem with narratives like that is they presume we are stuck with current vaccine models forever. Have we given up hope that they design a better vaccine that works against variants? Why isn't anyone talking about that anymore?

42 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

^ The problem with narratives like that is they presume we are stuck with current vaccine models forever. Have we given up hope that they design a better vaccine that works against variants? Why isn't anyone talking about that anymore?

somewhere buried in there is info that new vaccines won't be available until sometime in the fall. so, they won't quite overlap w/good timing. but also i have not heard mention anywhere about the vaccine the DoD is working on in partnership w/one of the labs.. to make the vaccine that is for the entire COVID genome or whatever.. every possible evolutionary mutation.. all in one shot. saw a couple stories on it a year ago but nothing since. sounded promising. 

the "doomer" narrative presented there in those articles is, to me, based on realism and what the situation looks like now. there's not a lot of stability really and politically the will to act has waned here in the US.  COVID is on the back burner for a lot of people. 

some friends of mine went to a party a week ago and got covid as did 5 or 6 other people. turned into a mini super spreader event. they're vax'd and boosted but still said the 2nd and 3rd days were kinda rough and included losing sense of smell. ugh. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ignatius said:

but also i have not heard mention anywhere about the vaccine the DoD is working on in partnership w/one of the labs.. to make the vaccine that is for the entire COVID genome or whatever.. every possible evolutionary mutation.. all in one shot. saw a couple stories on it a year ago but nothing since. sounded promising. 

Yeah this is the one I was thinking of. Not just this one but many similar to this that were in the news in 2021, under development in various places. There's always the possibility that things didn't work out in trials, but it's definitely odd to not be hearing much of anything about any of them.

And yeah the little tweaks they're making to the current vaccines are too little too late, and the thought of chasing after it like that forever is ludicrous when really these were supposed to be just a temporary measure until we can get a "real" vaccine. They should be working their asses off on it, and it's strange to take this long when the ones we have now were rolled out so quickly - yeah, that was pre-existing technology etc, but still, it's been a couple years now?

Edited by toaoaoad

On 6/16/2022 at 9:18 PM, Rubin Farr said:

This fucking Governor and his quack Surgeon General lapdog. 

He's going to be the Next President

8 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Our current vaccine models will be redundant if the acceleration of variants continues. Even if we design a vaccine based on omicron b5, by the time of its rollout new variants will have emerged.

Unless a serious immunotherapy or prophylactic breakthrough emerges, we remain mired in unsustainable models.

• Like 1

Haven't you all heard it's an election year in the USA, so we decided the pandemic was over?

If only we'd thought of that sooner!

EDIT: I just checked the CDC's official data tracker for the first time in about a month to see if the new spike was as bad as I'd been hearing, and I'd never noticed this before, but in the "at a glance" overview on the main page, all of the little line graphs show us being jsut past the peak of a spike but whith a sharp drop over the last week or so.  If you open up the detailed view, everything has ben trending UP consistently since April and there hasn't ben any drop at all.  So what's happening?  The simplified graphs show a rolling average over the last month ENDING TOMORROW.  So the last data point used for the rolling average is always zero (tomorrow's data hasn't been collected yet, and it's greyed out and shows zero in the detailed view) so no matter what the actual numbers are, the last 3 or 4 days will ALWAYS show a sharp decline and they can put a nice, down-pointing arrow at the end of the line. I'm not sure if that's as bad as changing the data they use to calculate community trasmission risk a few months ago (you might remember when the USA went from about 90% of counties having high transmission rates to about 90% having low transmission rates in less than 24 hours), but it's pretty bad.

Edited by TubularCorporation

10 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

calls for boosters have started in the UK. increases in cases and hospitalisations have arisen around major recent events. we've shifted from an early sense that vaccination was the only way out and it would be compulsory, to a muddling through of trying to keep economies going, and onto accepting people not choosing to vaccinate at all. lowest rate here appears to be london. this is typically described as an issue reflecting how it's much more multicultural, and reliant upon news systems outside the norm, and prone to misinformation and distrust as a result. we have seen talk about revisions of vaccines being possible within weeks, which moved slightly to temper the excitement by saying they'd still need relatively lengthy testing and approval.

we've also seen rapid development in the background of possible new technologies or techniques for vaccines that will cope with evolving variants that appear down the line post-injection. this is all likely to resurge in interest and importance later in the year when colder weather returns. it's surprising how easy it's been to get people to behave as though nothing is going on ... i think this is a symptom of fatigue and poor / differing understanding. if they can push 'one shot lasts a lifetime' creations, i think you might find renewed interest in take-up. you might also find surprising indifference. given covid liked the elderly initially, and we annually boost for flu in the over 50's anyway, you might find programs rolled out side-by-side for these. more of the story still to happen though, so expecting changes and surprises along the way over the second half of the year.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 1