IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

looks mostly good so far. haven't caught the new Discovery series yet, but i'll probably pay for a month or two of CBS AA when Picard comes out and watch both series. still worried there's gonna be a ton of silly new-style sci-fi shit like they touch on in the trailer, but we'll see i guess. 

also: wtf is with that elf looking guy lol kinda into it tho

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, auxien said:

looks mostly good so far. haven't caught the new Discovery series yet, but i'll probably pay for a month or two of CBS AA when Picard comes out and watch both series. still worried there's gonna be a ton of silly new-style sci-fi shit like they touch on in the trailer, but we'll see i guess. 

also: wtf is with that elf looking guy lol kinda into it tho

Probably a Vulcan? 

Also yeah this looks way too good to be a CBS show. But I mean, you put Picard on TV and I'm watching him, so they're guaranteed a sub for a couple months while this is on.

• Like 1

true yeah the elf guy definitely had the Vulcan eyebrows going on, should've thought of that. i was just a little bit taken aback and my brain wasn't correctly processing all information given i was just like 'whoa badass star trek space elfs FUCK YEAH'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auxien said:

true yeah the elf guy definitely had the Vulcan eyebrows going on, should've thought of that. i was just a little bit taken aback and my brain wasn't correctly processing all information given i was just like 'whoa badass star trek space elfs FUCK YEAH'

There’s been so much information packed into these that multiple viewings are definitely required.

Also where’s my Frasier-style Riker/Troi sitcom about living in the woods? Come on Kurtzman, you haven’t said no to anything yet!

On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, Soloman Tump said:

Just discovered The Swamp Thing TV series starting soon in USA, no UK release date yet though.

This is now on Amazon prime in the UK. Watched 5 hungover episodes today, enjoyed it. Sucks they cancelled it already.

Had to fiddle with my screen contrast to figure out what was going on though, especially in first 2 episodes

• Like 1

Tried watching the first episode of the Ken Burns country music retrospective. Gave up after the overlong opening salvo of hagiography (while still making it clear that the hagiography is selective by era, classic Ken Burns).

I agree with the earlier assertion about his Jazz equivalent being narrow minded (specifically with Fusion jazz). Sorry but the time that Louis Armstrong took a crap in 1931 does not hold as much importance as Bitches Brew.

Basically every Ken Burns series always has this same habit of ranking eras of a particular subject and then essentially promoting generation gaps and supremacy. Nonsense.

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

Tried watching the first episode of the Ken Burns country music retrospective. Gave up after the overlong opening salvo of hagiography (while still making it clear that the hagiography is selective by era, classic Ken Burns).

I agree with the earlier assertion about his Jazz equivalent being narrow minded (specifically with Fusion jazz). Sorry but the time that Louis Armstrong took a crap in 1931 does not hold as much importance as Bitches Brew.

Basically every Ken Burns series always has this same habit of ranking eras of a particular subject and then essentially promoting generation gaps and supremacy. Nonsense.

Yeah, and the irony is Wynton Marsalis just piggybacked on stuff people already did decades ago, ignoring that his musical heroes had a very different outlook towards the music they were making.

When Miles was making stuff with the second great quintet, he didn’t want to be put in a museum, it was just another step of his musical evolution. He was not a guy who romanticized the past. 

• Like 1

Watched half of Chernobyl on the plane to Oz. Very good but seeing as I was going on holiday it proved a fucking massive downer so dropped it after the third episode. I guess I should watch the rest on the way home, when no doubts I’ll be feeling more low-key. I was hearing on the grapevine a few months ago that it was one of the best shows ever made. I didn’t get that impression at all.

8 hours ago, beer badger said:

Watched half of Chernobyl on the plane to Oz. Very good but seeing as I was going on holiday it proved a fucking massive downer so dropped it after the third episode. I guess I should watch the rest on the way home, when no doubts I’ll be feeling more low-key. I was hearing on the grapevine a few months ago that it was one of the best shows ever made. I didn’t get that impression at all.

Yeah, not a show you want to watch when the goal is relaxation... it's really at it's best as a whole, so do try and rewatch it in its entirety.

• Like 1

It's on HBO and not only is there no Skip Intro button, most of their shows have long intros, plus often have promos for their other shows, and sometimes a recap of the previous episode. I appreciate nice title sequences, but only need to see them once. I appreciate recaps, unless I'm binging. But I rarely appreciate promos for other shows when I'm trying to watch something. I REALLY appreciate skip buttons.

That said, Chernobyl was good but not "the best show ever made" or anything like that. I need to spend more time in this thread - need more ideas. I have a long Netflix queue and a few other things saved in other apps that I want to watch, but I'm always running out of hour-long drama type shows to watch with my girlfriend as she doesn't seem interested in most of the ones I have saved. If we're caught up on the one or two hour-long shows we both happen to be watching, we're stuck watching a bunch of short shows. I need something I can sink my teeth into for a good 50-60 min. We're watching and enjoying Succession, but we're caught up. 

As for the short ones, currently watching Big Mouth, Veep, and Insecure. All really great.

Cannot believe they took down Parts Unknown from Netflix. I watched a few episodes on the plane, I think they must be the last season as I’d never seen them before, Los Angeles and San Sebastián. 

In fact I just did a bit of investigation work and it seems there a a few seasons that I never knew existed (I thought the whole lot was on Netflix). So I got plenty more to watch.

I struggle to comprehend how this guy killed himself. It’s actually pretty chilling tbh.

I guess some people have darker demons dwelling within them than others. 

Edited by beer badger

Saw the first truly terrible episode of Voyager last night: Paris breaks warp 10, then he kidnaps Janeway and they evolve into amphibians and have future human (amphibian) babies together. Doc fixes them and they joke about fucking. If this had been written by a 10 year old I’d not be surprised.