IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

the outsider - watchable but disappointing, i already told why in my previous post... i'd liked it to be more focused on just a few characters and on that dark/mysterious mood of the first episode but it took too many colorful roads... i don't think i would have kept watching it if it wasn't for Ben Mendelsohn, this guy performance was something else!!!

sick of it s02 - this is miles away from how funny his old shows were but still quite enjoyable... it's not supposed to be cringe comedy but i cringed sometimes which is not a good thing... it happened mostly because of the bluesy/jazzy soundtrack, something in the contrast between it and his goofy personality didn't felt right...

Edited by Tim_J

On 5/11/2020 at 4:48 AM, bendish said:

i'm watching normal people.

It is good.

reminds me of Skins' more melancholy moments, they've nailed that teen angst in a genuine way 

it's a surprisingly relaxing and "warm" show to watch (at least compared to Run which I'm also watching), I get quite engrossed with the overall mood of it

soundtrack is refreshingly well curated and edited, so much stuff on tv lately is either adequate and safe original music or just a circlejerk of some staffer skimming spotify playlists of indie music

I was very, very happy to read this morning that Anthony Bourdain:Parts Unknown is returning to Netflix (including the few final seasons that were not available last time)

Seriously I love this guy and this program.

• Thanks 1

Devs is nice, 3 eps in as well.

The new rick and morty episode was pretty terrible, did I miss something, was there another meta layer that somehow made that worthwile? I hope this isn't indicative of the direction they're headed in. lol random/10

Black Mirror: Striking Vipers aka I’m struggling to get through this episode. 

Black Mirror: Smithereens aka that guy from Fleabag is a good actor but this doesn’t have those dank Black Mirror vibes

next up: The grand finale of the Miley Cyrus episode oh wow

On 5/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, cwmbrancity said:

The Joy of Painting

spacer.png

God I love fast show so much, might have to binge the box set

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Started watching Devs, 3 eps in. I like it.

This is next up for me. 

• Like 1

Finished Devs. I was into it until the last few episodes, then it just started getting annoying. Overall, it was ok. 

Finished both seasons of Dark. Quite good. Pretty flawed and SUPER confusing ... 

Go figure... a German time-travel show with 3 versions of every character, everyone is related and it takes place over 100 years. Nothing confusing about that at all. 

... but entertaining. Really well-cast and well-directed. 

Currently watching The Mandalorian. Quite NOTgood.  I’m over 5 episodes in and struggling to find a reason to enjoy it, other than seeing Werner Herzog in a 3rd episode. A lot of our friends have told us to stick with it because it pays off, but I can barely watch another minute of this guy in the helmet doing a Clint Eastwood impression. The story and dialogue are basically like their taken from cinematic interludes in a 3rd rate video game. Seriously, what is the point of this show?

edit

I’m also watching the What We Do In The Shadows series. Lots of fun. Plenty of IRL LOLs. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Finished both seasons of Dark. Quite good. Pretty flawed and SUPER confusing ... 

Hide contents

Go figure... a German time-travel show with 3 versions of every character, everyone is related and it takes place over 100 years. Nothing confusing about that at all. 

... but entertaining. Really well-cast and well-directed. 

Where did that mole come from though? 

Just started White Lines on Netflix last night. First I thought I'm gonna hate it and it's gonna be a cliche show with annoying characters but I actually liked it so far. There are exaggerations in it and some silly things, but it's almost like on purpose. I like shows with self-irony and I think this is on of those.
Would be curious what other people think of it though.

ozark s03 - since day 1 this soap opera disguised as edgy thriller has been like this, i can't count how many times this happened:

• bad guys - i'm gonna cut off your head Byrds!
  • the Byrds - can't u see that you need me, and if you kill me it's gonna be way worse for you? fuck off bad guys!
  • bad guys - oh i like these guys, they're so edgy, the fearless way they faced me, you just gained my trust... come work for me...

:facepalm:

anyway, it's like a drug, bad for you but extremely addictive...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Currently watching The Mandalorian. Quite NOTgood.  I’m over 5 episodes in and struggling to find a reason to enjoy it, other than seeing Werner Herzog in a 3rd episode. A lot of our friends have told us to stick with it because it pays off, but I can barely watch another minute of this guy in the helmet doing a Clint Eastwood impression. The story and dialogue are basically like their taken from cinematic interludes in a 3rd rate video game. Seriously, what is the point of this show?

This is the best thing Star Wars has done since the Original Trilogy IMO.  1 or 2 episodes were a bit lackluster but the rest was great.  I think if you were a Star Wars freak growing up you love it just because it expands the universe even more really nicely without any of the characters we've grown to love/hate.  To me it captured the feeling, aesthetic, and originality that the original trilogy had, when 1/2/3/7/8/9 were lightyears away from it.

I mean if you thought the story and dialogue was that bad in this, you must've walked out of the theater after 2 minutes of The Force Awakens...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

976efb5d-0ef7-42f3-9024-b0b9f4ab0204.thumb.jpg.2c89595b82d5f6efcec639fbeb7a12aa.jpg

This is great

If you like the above, Shane Meadows did a short on Bartley Gorman 25yrs ago, jfc, that long. If you follow British boxing, his lineage continues culturally with Tyson Fury.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:
  Hide contents

MV5BOTYwNTMzZWYtZTQ5OC00ZjkwLThkMTctY2VjMjU2N2MxYThiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODExNTExMTM@._V1_.jpgMV5BNDA3NjVhYjctNDdjYi00MmU2LTk0NWQtZTJkMjU2ZWM1OWE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODExNTExMTM@._V1_.jpg

Ah! I didn’t catch that! ?

1 hour ago, lyst said:

This is the best thing Star Wars has done since the Original Trilogy IMO.  1 or 2 episodes were a bit lackluster but the rest was great.  I think if you were a Star Wars freak growing up you love it just because it expands the universe even more really nicely without any of the characters we've grown to love/hate.  To me it captured the feeling, aesthetic, and originality that the original trilogy had, when 1/2/3/7/8/9 were lightyears away from it.

I mean if you thought the story and dialogue was that bad in this, you must've walked out of the theater after 2 minutes of The Force Awakens...

I was actually born in the 70s and grew up worshiping the original trilogy. I’m definitely a “freak”, owned most of all of the original action figures and grew up in an era where every kid on the playground played Star Wars together. I also truly think Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest films ever made. 
Having said that, I still don’t like the show. I also really liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi... but I accepted they were made by a different creative team and weren’t going to exactly connect to the world of the original trilogy. Compared to the prequels, they were an undeniable improvement. 

Let me preface by saying these are just my opinions... 

As far as the Mandalorian, I think it looks great and I like all of the Easter eggs and everything, but my problems are more basic story and character issues. In any of the other Star Wars films, you had characters that were empathetic and well-developed right out the gate. This show isn’t really like that at all.

I understand that a certain element of this show is a redemption story, but (as far as basic storytelling goes), it doesn’t work for me to watch a helmet with a cool guy voice for 6 episodes (I’m only 6 deep and plan to finish) acting like a hypocritical, mansplaining tough guy and blowing away jawas. As far as development goes, I’ve only gathered that he won’t take off that helmet and his reputation precedes him... and that he’s a “foundling” (but I disqualify the rapid flashbacks as character development... so his trauma of seeing his parents killed or whatever is lost by the fact I can’t see the damn expression on his face for the whole show but that’s just me tho).

I can keep going but I’m typing this all on my phone so I’m going to end it here before I waste all day hunting and pecking with my thumb, sloppy copying/pasting and accidentally deleting everything, because I know that will 100% happen. 

I just want to finish by saying Star Wars fans are passionate about why they love it. I include myself in that category. I’m sure we share a lot of similar opinions about the original trilogy.

• Like 1

Nebula_75_Title_1-ebab752.jpg?quality=45

this show has been conceived and made entirely under lock-down in the .uk by a crew of three. if you've watched thunderbirds or fireball -xl5 then you know what to expect; scripts are minimal and episode runtimes clock in at under 20min so it's more like a proof of concept experiment

only a few episodes in, but The Great has been a fun ride so far. Elle Fanning & Nic Hoult are both pretty fantastic

Edited by luke viia

On 4/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, Nebraska said:

5eoeVwsQg35GJfARq7Azdwrzztl.jpg?resize=3

fantastic tv documentary. i just really dislike the pacing of starting some really good beef- then jumping decades back to give the person's life history.

loved this. highly recommended (even if you're like me and only partially into basketball)

10 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Hollywood - totally bland and completely forgettable.  We gave up.

my wife has been trying to get through this (she loves ryan murphy) but its proving more difficult than she could have expected.