IGNORED

Autechre - Exai

zlemflolia

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they return to ideas, unlike in Crapistice. Otherwise I'll declare their musical death (a thing that happened to RDJ already after Windowlicker).

unfortunately there is some truth to this, although not bad as such, Quaristice (and to a lesser degree Oversteps) lack the depth and solidness of most other Autechre releases. Why? Because they unlike other Autechre releases sound like they almost could have been done by someone other than Autechre (especially evident on Move Of Ten). Oversteps was more focused than Quaristice for sure, but still lacks something (and no not just becuase it's "ambient" sounding)

I hope they return to ideas, unlike in Crapistice. Otherwise I'll declare their musical death (a thing that happened to RDJ already after Windowlicker).

unfortunately there is some truth to this, although not bad as such, Quaristice (and to a lesser degree Oversteps) lack the depth and solidness of most other Autechre releases. Why? Because they unlike other Autechre releases sound like they almost could have been done by someone other than Autechre (especially evident on Move Of Ten). Oversteps was more focused than Quaristice for sure, but still lacks something (and no not just becuase it's "ambient" sounding)

Maybe I'm just a fanboy but I disagree with all of this. I mean first of all, it is conceivable that someone else could make any of the other ae albums. Especially their earlier sound, and I don't think Oversteps is that easy to do compared to anything else. It's not just about the technical, it's also about the idea. I don't think I've ever heard anything like Oversteps and it is a unique soundscape and way of arranging and composing melodies, that has traces of their old tracks, along with a beautiful new sound. I also find it very deep and surreal in the way it's new while having an eerie kind of familiarity.

Beyond that though, should it be something that any other artist could release (which I don't think is the case), it is still a very solid album and one of their best as far as melody and mood goes as far as I'm concerned. It's the same thing as the creepy distant synths on Untilted, or the more naive and melancholic retro-futurism and industrial sound on Amber and Incunabula in my opinion.

They've always had their own very creative atmospheres I think, and I also feel that can be found on Quaristice even if it just a lovely reverb like on perlence subrange 6. Fanboy outtt

the only inside line i have into Sean's flat says the album isn't mastered/totally finished yet. I trust my mole since it's how i got the 2nd to last Gescom ep before it was even announced (true story)

the biggest secret i was told is that Chris Cunningham has worked extensively on a Rob animatronic since Rob has been in a coma since before the release of Quaristice. Which probably explains the drastic change in sound. The AE shows since Untilted have been 100% Rob's old stuff that he did before said coma. Rob has recently developed the remarkable ability to communicate to Sean and to Max/msp digitally while in a vegetative state through MRI imagining. It's a miracle really.

the only inside line i have into Sean's flat says the album isn't mastered/totally finished yet. I trust my mole since it's how i got the 2nd to last Gescom ep before it was even announced (true story)

the biggest secret i was told is that Chris Cunningham has worked extensively on a Rob animatronic since Rob has been in a coma since before the release of Quaristice. Which probably explains the drastic change in sound. The AE shows since Untilted have been 100% Rob's old stuff that he did before said coma. Rob has recently developed the remarkable ability to communicate to Sean and to Max/msp digitally while in a vegetative state through MRI imagining. It's a miracle really.

wow!

Guest cult fiction

The truth is, Sean hulked the fuck out Reznor style after he kicked heroin and beat Rob into a coma with a thick roll of Computer Music magazines.

so who else could of done Oversteps? Don't worry i'll wait.... no really it's most certainly a rhetorical question that isn't really a question at all. RDJ post windowlicker, well he's most certainly not dead hence Analord.... daft comment.

as for Mof10, well the only time i've ever thought an AE song sounded even remotly like a BoC one is nth Dafuseder, and i'll also add that its as good as anything else they've(BoC) done. which says something about thier Move of 10.... Maybe BoC did Oversteps as a favor for AE.... I'm In the know ya know

I can hear that Quarisice might be one of the more ambivelant albums put out, AE fans are fcuked in the head, including me... having said that i really do hope they bring out something that really pisses people off, only for it to be hailed as a masterpiece a year later by the same people. fickle fickle fickle little star, how i wonder what they are

Just to make it clear on the fickleness, I still don't really like Oversteps or MoT. Getting kind of tired of this perception. It really is different this time. In fact it feels like I've gone 5 years without a new Autechre album instead of 3 :(

Just to make it clear on the fickleness, I still don't really like Oversteps or MoT. Getting kind of tired of this perception. It really is different this time. In fact it feels like I've gone 5 years without a new Autechre album instead of 3 :(

Could be a brain tumour or something.

Get better Sweepstakes :(

Krylon me a river.... they don't give a shite what we think anyway, and thats what i love about them the most. Thier productivity, which for me is admirable. Last thing i would want AE to do is to accommodate thier fans needs* or be hesitant because of (any) criticism. Glass half empty/half full....

*OK I'd really hope i'm at one of thier gig's one night n they play <insert AE LP here> in it's entirety

Archived