have been working thru Red Letter Media's bandcamp page recently, syncing it with the films (sometimes the films sync perfectly ... Masters of the universe for example was a different version to mine and jumped in and out of sync all over the place).

it's essentially a live audio commentary over the films with the RLM guys just talking shit over it. has the air of a casual twitch stream to it .. or its a wee bit like MST3k i guess ?

probably recommending this only for the RLM fans who may have overlooked it.

https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/audio

Yeah, I listened to those commentary tracks earlier this year while working from home. It was a blast. Especially the Terminator commentary track. Highly recommended.

Watched Deadpool, thought it was fucking garbage, a total waste of time. Further confirmation that I should just not bother with any of the Marvel or DC shit coming out now.

star trek was abysmal. jesus christ pegg. wtf?

yeah, it was piss poor. all three of the new ones seem to have the same generic-revenge-guy villain too.

A couple weeks ago I saw the 2015 version of Point Break. It was a surprisingly good philosophical/spiritual film that I can personally relate to, and it's also cheezefest 9000. So ridiculously extreme-sports-action-packed at every few minutes, but it somehow works, flow-wise. But watching it made me realize that such deep themes are always perceived as cheezy, as that is the nature of the beast. I now realize that it's probably impossible to represent such themes directly and somewhat overtly, without having elements of "cheeze". (The Matrix is one of the films that hides its depth the best... Or like, Speed Racer.)

star trek was abysmal. jesus christ pegg. wtf?

yeah, it was piss poor. all three of the new ones seem to have the same generic-revenge-guy villain too.

yeah. i at least enjoyed the first one. second one was boringly action packed and cumberkahn was hilariously melodramatic. this one was just indecipherable and stupid. the "twist" at the end was absolutely meaningless and also made absolutely no sense. it was so dumb i actually double checked to make sure pegg had actually written all of the movies/tv shows i had enjoyed and not edgar wright. i mean i imagine there's lots of studio nonesense in something as big budget as a star trek but jesus christ.

also the super long shot of chris pine smiling at homo sulu was LOL

Guest bitroast

phew. guess i can scratch that one of the list and just wait til it comes out on blu-ray.

rogue one ... may draw me to the cinema yet ...

Guest bitroast

have been working thru Red Letter Media's bandcamp page recently, syncing it with the films (sometimes the films sync perfectly ... Masters of the universe for example was a different version to mine and jumped in and out of sync all over the place).

it's essentially a live audio commentary over the films with the RLM guys just talking shit over it. has the air of a casual twitch stream to it .. or its a wee bit like MST3k i guess ?

probably recommending this only for the RLM fans who may have overlooked it.

https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/audio

Yeah, I listened to those commentary tracks earlier this year while working from home. It was a blast. Especially the Terminator commentary track. Highly recommended.

when they're talking about the edward furlong / jake loyd buddy comedy ...

'they don't want oscars, they don't want that .. they just don't want to be bloated and old.'

.. yeh this shiz has lots of LOL moments ..

Independence Day: Resurgence - what the actual fuck/10

This has got to be the worst movie I've seen in years. The build-up is absolutely terrible, the only scene that contains any destruction is boring, the acting is fucking horrible, it's the last movie Robert Loggia was in, and the CGi is absolutely horrendous.

I know I shouldn't expect anything from a movie like this and anything from Emmerich at all, but it was even worse than 2012.

jason bourne

i realized while watching this that it's basically a remake of clash of the titans. langley is the stand in for mt. olympus, whoever is cia director is zeus, the gods watch and control bourne as he journeys to find himself. assets are activated like gorgons. 

some notes:

a person actually says "enhance" when an image is blurry

a person actually says "use sql to destroy their database"

car chases are as outmoded as guitar solos

3/10

star trek beyond

so three movies in we get a real star trek movie out of this reboot and it feels like too little too late. for once the cast actually gel and pine feels like kirk, captain of the enterprise, and not some hotheaded fratboy caricature. there are little nods to the original series all over the place in this, but it all ends up feeling like a pilot for a tv show that is somehow mid season yet also premiering. it's a course correction from abrams trash but it's also a big mess. you can blame wrath of khan for making all star trek movies action films with big villains. half of these movies are revenge plots against kirk/picard/the federation and beyond is no exception. basically feels like nemesis/insurrection with a budget and a better cast. if this is the end for this era of trek on film, i won't be sad to see it go, but there's potential here if they can get a script and a director who can actually keep a camera steady and communicate the geography of an action sequence (or god forbid dialogue) in a way that is comprehensible and doesn't give me a migraine. on some level trek is meant for the small screen and can never work as an episodic film series, but that won't stop them from trying. 

7/10

Edited by keanu reeves

Guest bitroast

star trek beyond

so three movies in we get a real star trek movie out of this reboot and it feels like too little too late. for once the cast actually gel and pine feels like kirk, captain of the enterprise, and not some hotheaded fratboy caricature. there are little nods to the original series all over the place in this, but it all ends up feeling like a pilot for a tv show that is somehow mid season yet also premiering. it's a course correction from abrams trash but it's also a big mess. you can blame wrath of khan for making all star trek movies action films with big villains. half of these movies are revenge plots against kirk/picard/the federation and beyond is no exception. basically feels like nemesis/insurrection with a budget and a better cast. if this is the end for this era of trek on film, i won't be sad to see it go, but there's potential here if they can get a script and a director who can actually keep a camera steady and communicate the geography of an action sequence (or god forbid dialogue) in a way that is comprehensible and doesn't give me a migraine. on some level trek is meant for the small screen and can never work as an episodic film series, but that won't stop them from trying. 

7/10

yeah.

was recently trying to explain to a friend why i had 0 interest in Ghostbusters 2016 and it largely is to do with hollywood just cashing in on nostalgia and existing franchiases. Star trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness were fun on first viewing @ cinema but upon reflection were pretty bland ( into darkness in particular ... is just... ugh ). 

having said that.

i'm totally gonna see Star trek beyond at the cinema. 

Primer (2004)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

Making sense of something like Memento is a cakewalk in comparison to this... any tips? The numerous charts and wikis are almost as baffling as the film itself.

Still though, very enjoyable and very well shot given the $7k budget. 7/10

Edited by lawrenke