Primer (2004)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

Making sense of something like Memento is a cakewalk in comparison to this... any tips? The numerous charts and wikis are almost as baffling as the film itself.

Still though, very enjoyable and very well shot given the $7k budget. 7/10

There's this huge timeline graph available...

primer-chart.jpg

the budget was literally $7k or are you being hyperbolic?

the acting was terrible but it was still a cool story/movie. 

Literally $7000. Yeah acting wasn't great but the depth of the plot made up for it.

High Rise

Very disappointing - they had all the right elements but the script just didnt cut it - overall it felt contrived and derivative - too much Kubrick stylising - also felt like it was 3 hours, didn't know when to quit

High Rise

Very disappointing - they had all the right elements but the script just didnt cut it - overall it felt contrived and derivative - too much Kubrick stylising - also felt like it was 3 hours, didn't know when to quit

Best bestiality insinuation in a film ever though. I also felt like all my clothes were very under starched all the way through.  

i imagine if i had a thirteen year old daughter who i saw only on weekends, and i took her to a mall, and she visited hot topic and asked me to hang around while she tried on choke collars and a t-shirt that says "oh, i'm sorry, were the voices in my head bothering you?", the experience would approximate the feeling i had watching this.

F

lol

magnificent, thanks

suicide squad is literally one of the worst movies i've ever seen and every fucking scene had some stupid song playing over it for no reason

i doubt ayer's cut was an amazing movie but i bet it was 10x better than what the studio shit out

so basically it's standard practice now for studios to get an inexperienced director who has maybe put out one or two charming indie films, or in some cases just a viral youtube video, throw them on a huge big budget superhero movie, but never ever ever ever give them final cut approval? Or maybe they do give them final cut approval but then just break contract because the price in the break clause is so low? 

I guess sometimes it works (jurassic world [it sucked but the problems weren't direction or editing]) but most times its a disaster like fantastic four or this drek.

In Suicide Squad there was too much gunning down black pimple no face things, talking, walking a bit, gunning down black pimple no face things, talking, walking a bit, etc.

I really dislike the need in so many of these superhero movies to have the cgi fodder hoard that always attacks the heros for 20/30/40 minutes in a movie. It has always been boring. For some reason it isn't fun for me to watch superheros take out tons of easy enemies. It feels like I'm watching someone play a shooter with generic monsters.

There was also WAY too many shots of characters slowly walking forward. 

Also too many retro 70s-90s songs. Guardians of the Galaxy handled that much better....er from what I remember. It also felt like the songs they chose were mostly random, not really fitting the situation/person.

Throughout most of the movie there was also this awkward feeling, like scenes weren't being nailed right. Something was just off. I also never laughed at anything Harley said. 

I got this feeling that the direction they went in was a good one, but it wasn't executed right. That said I still felt entertained enough for 70% of the movie to pay attention and not be thinking about other things.

High Rise - was a bit frustrating because it was just a pointless mess (I think), but still worth it imo. when do you get to see such a pointless mess that still looks good / sounds good? Dunno if it's worse than, say, Brazil, or the highly regarded films of Jodorowski tbh.

Has anyone tried the new 4K Blu-Ray movies? I'm wondering if it's really worth upgrading your home theater for graphically impressive movies, how big are those discs anyway?

NO