7 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Inglorious was spectacular ... Haven't paid attention since 

yeah it and Django weren't necessarily bad, they just went full off the rails at some point. bit of M Night Shyamalan imo, 'okay here's this....it works, and now THE TWIST'   ...from what i'm gathering Once Upon A Time is the same thing so, yeah....never been big on Tarantino anyway.

i watched The Gate, an 80's sorta Gremlins but demons thing, and it was a little fun and quirky but mostly forgettable. maybe if i'd seen it when i was young and had some attached nostalgia i might've cared, but barring that it was just....okay. bit tame and pretty mild given the pretty out-there premise. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, auxien said:

yeah it and Django weren't necessarily bad, they just went full off the rails at some point. bit of M Night Shyamalan imo, 'okay here's this....it works, and now THE TWIST'   ...from what i'm gathering Once Upon A Time is the same thing so, yeah....never been big on Tarantino anyway.

Once Upon A Time is a very significant shift in tone more towards his first three movies and it’s really good.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Candiru said:

Once Upon A Time is a very significant shift in tone more towards his first three movies and it’s really good.

guess I may go see it at the cheap theater if it’s still there in the next couple weeks 

On 9/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, dr lopez said:

ive tried really hard to model my life and behavior on THC in that movie, and as a result i've ended up a lot more like giamatti 

I love when he's talking about Pinot Noir, but actually about himself. Great script for this film. 

really excited about this. the translation to 3d looks incredibly- just misses some of the early 2d charm like lupin constantly kicking zenigata in the opening credit (that gravity defying floating on air and repeated thing that's not realistic or lupin jumping into bed with fujiko only to get kicked in the face cartoon transition queue)

8 hours ago, Squee said:

Joker was really fucking good. Really. 

And are the reviewers who are critiquing it on a kinda identity politics basis full of bs, or at least are over-exaggerating?

Edited by Brisbot

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

And are the reviewers who are critiquing it on a kinda identity politics basis full of bs, or at least are over-exaggerating?

People are reading shit into everything these days. It’s a movie. Not a diary. It's a movie about the poor and unfortunate people  who are run over by the big guys.

But it is 100% Joaquin Phoenix’s movie. He carries the entire movie on his shoulders with ease and extreme grace. He’s amazing. 

• Like 1

Saw Joker earlier today, Joaquin Phoenix did an amazing portrayal, it was a good film.

It's definitely not your typical "comic book" movie, it's more of a drama. Very dark, unsettling, and poignant, as a Joker-focused tale should be. The media making a scene of this movie is pretty ridiculous also, the violent scenes were striking, but it wasn't gratuitously violent. I also don't think you're supposed to route for Joker in the movie, sympathize yes, his story is rather tragic, but he's still the bad guy in the end.

Edited by ghOsty