5 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

Lots of quality recommendations on this thread right now, thanks for sharing!

I'd like to recommend you don't bother going to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's a big pile of wank. NOT might I add that the performances are bad, as they are excellent. HOWEVER I'm totally fucking sick of Quentin trying to rewrite history and this was the final straw for me. I hope to God this is really his last movie, he seriously needs to stop if this is all he has left. How can you possibly just erase such an event and turn it into some buddy movie about two guys in a frankly overtly fluffy bullshit version of 60s Hollywood, complete with a made up version of Bruce Lee. I mean, what was this really even about??? What was the fucking point of this movie??? Seriously Quentin??? And that's not even getting into the gender politics of this, and the fact that pretending someone didn't get brutally murdered is TOTALLY disrespectful. 3/10 

Leo is great in this, but I have no idea why the people in this film thought it would be a good idea to make. 

I don't see the issue. All that coming from the same director who had Hitler killed in a movie theater by burning to death and having his corpse shot up. He seems to like to play around with exaggerated versions of people from history and is upfront about it, often exaggerating the stereotypes of the person in the story. I don't see that as disrespectful really as long as it's obvious and not trying to persuade you in any way. 

The point of it is entertainment and Quentin has said that a number of times in interviews. But if you didn't like it, you didn't like it.

Edited by Brisbot

13 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

Did he though?

Sort of. More than the joker, for sure. He at least didn't like pimps and junkies. He also saved Jodie Foster.

In a weird way, he cared. That's more than you can say for the joker.

If choosing the Manson clan murders is a vehicle for "entertainment", that's a shitty vehicle. Saying Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is solely (or even predominantly) entertainment is reductive.

I also find Tarantino's insistence on an alternate narrative to this moment in history to be a weakness. To me, this film feels like conservative fantasy-fulfillment of what could have been in Hollywood, posing the Manson murders as a theft of Hollywood's collective innocence. It's a very narrow perspective and one I find no enjoyment or quarter.

17 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

If choosing the Manson clan murders is a vehicle for "entertainment", that's a shitty vehicle. Saying Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is solely (or even predominantly) entertainment is reductive.

I also find Tarantino's insistence on an alternate narrative to this moment in history to be a weakness. To me, this film feels like conservative fantasy-fulfillment of what could have been in Hollywood, posing the Manson murders as a theft of Hollywood's collective innocence. It's a very narrow perspective and one I find no enjoyment or quarter.

It is not the perogative of the filmmaker to rewrite history, specially to this extent. It is a weakness of his and it's basically a joke, I let it slide for Django unchained and Inglorious Basterds, but can't for this.

• Like 1

Just saw “In Fabric”. Solid. A bit “I’m 14 and this is deep” in places but the weird more than made up for it. Two men getting off by listening to a third man explain the process of repairing a washing machine, that sort of thing. Very entertaining.

Soundtrack’s by Cavern of Anti-matter (Stereolab offshoot), too, which is nice.

18 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

It is not the perogative of the filmmaker to rewrite history

It definitely is, they can do what they want. Especially when the film isn't a biopic, but even then, they rarely stick to the facts.

Edited by caze

Watched "Parasite", this year's Palme D'or. It is a very well made film, with a clear message and many brilliant moments, but on the other hand, it felt contrieved to me. The story went where it needed to go, everybody perfectly acted out what they needed to do, but I didn't feel honesty in this film. There were also some questionable music choices. No dissing, but it did nothing for me.

• Burger 1

image.png.afb5c330f3c9b7ae3f37a4ffaad78ddc.png

I saw this on a plane yesterday.

Quite good. 

Olivier Assayas is one of my current faves. Everything I've seen by him is thought-provoking and unique. This is no exception.

It is "talky" and plays a bit like a couple simultaneous philosophical essays that are woven together with shoe-horned narratives & character viewpoints... though, having said that, those philosophical ideas are challenging and fascinating (the impending fate of print media vs the democratization of artistic ideas via the internet, being the main one). Also, the script/direction/performances are all top notch.

If you are in the mood for something heady with some light domestic conflict and zero explosions/car chases, this is your movie.

+10 points for Julie Binoche

Spoiler

+50 points for very attractive, topless, blonde french girl.

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

i for one categorically disagree that filmmakers have to make films according what madamechaos likes

hahahahaha calm your tits lopez, I just feel its really disrespectful to rewrite history around people being brutally murdered. AIBU???

oh great Quentin, how kind of you to write a film in which these people didn't die, i wonder how the friends and families feel about it?

On 9/19/2019 at 5:25 AM, MadameChaos said:

on this topic we'll agree to disagree.

I guess this. I am under no illusion that anything that happened in the film represents reality in any way, nor does it undermine it or make fun of the Manson Murders. They are two separate things in my mind. I'm sure there is a line somewhere when it comes to changing history in a movie, which probably has to do with the writer/director trying to persuade you of something by lying to you. But that movie is not that thing.

How many times have we seen alternate history movies where the nazis won, or video games with that same plot? Same thing. I don't think some video game where you kill nazis  who managed to win WW2 undermines the actual history of WW2.

btw idk why I keep referencing nazis. Just the easiest example in my mind.

51iqvuJbD1L._SY445_.jpg

great documentary that attempts to give a full document on how timothy mcveigh perpetrated the alfred murrah federal building in oklahoma, resulting in one of the biggest acts of terrorism in .us history.

despite being almost 2 hours, it feels thoroughly edited resulting in such clarity issues- eg. bringing up robert jay mathews and the order and loosely tying him (and the group) with a fringe racist and anti-government organization influenced by the turner diaries and that being mcveigh's inspiration and tutorial for the bombing but only barely mention his (mcveigh's) constant cross-country trips to gun shows that mostly appeal to fanatic right-wingers etc. also- the bombing and capture offer no new insight.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. 8/10.

Ace movie, has a certain unforcedness , an ease that could point to Quentin's having entered his "old master" phase, which I don't mind. Was impartial to DEATH PROOF, didn't much care for INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, didn't like DJANGO, but really loved THE HATEFUL EIGHT and had a veritable blast in this one. Things are lookin' up for Quentin IMO, I like where he's going.

50 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

hateful eight was garbage. one big troll movie. yes yes i'll shoot on 70mm but it will be inside a cabin the entire time. lmao.

hollywood was good tho. brad pitt surprised me

Best chamber drama since Murnau. 8.4/10, would watch again.

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Things are lookin' up for Quentin IMO, I like where he's going.

i thought the word was that this was his last movie?

btw i'm 98% out of the loop so apologies if this has been covered

1 hour ago, auxien said:

i thought the word was that this was his last movie?

btw i'm 98% out of the loop so apologies if this has been covered

Not really; he's said that he'll only ever do ten movies in the past, but since he's not counting FOUR ROOMS (nor SIN CITY) at all and apparently considers KILL BILL 1 & 2 one movie, that would put him at nine atm. Plus it's unsure how serious that claim was to begin with, and if he'll really honour it (which seems doubtful IMO). So I definitely don't think that this is the last we've heard from ol' Quentin ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IDEM said:

Not really; he's said that he'll only ever do ten movies in the past, but since he's not counting FOUR ROOMS (nor SIN CITY) at all and apparently considers KILL BILL 1 & 2 one movie, that would put him at nine atm. Plus it's unsure how serious that claim was to begin with, and if he'll really honour it (which seems doubtful IMO). So I definitely don't think that this is the last we've heard from ol' Quentin ...

i see okay, i remember hearing he was trying to do a Star Trek movie too and stuff, so i guess it's all based on his own rules and he's not even necessarily for sure sticking with that anyway. i haven't paid all that much attention to his stuff in a bit. Django and Inglorious were a bit too over the top for me so i kinda quit caring, tho i'm sure there's plenty of good stuff in all of his films.