Sideways, but with commentary from Giamatti and Church.  A few nuggets of insight, but it was basically Giamatti and Church in a competition to see who could wordsmith the most obscure references.  Church won.

• Burger 1

ive tried really hard to model my life and behavior on THC in that movie, and as a result i've ended up a lot more like giamatti 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

The Lighthouse looks F'n awesome. Me and all the hipsters are gonna love this film.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, auxien said:

yeah it and Django weren't necessarily bad, they just went full off the rails at some point. bit of M Night Shyamalan imo, 'okay here's this....it works, and now THE TWIST'   ...from what i'm gathering Once Upon A Time is the same thing so, yeah....never been big on Tarantino anyway.

Once Upon A Time is a very significant shift in tone more towards his first three movies and it’s really good.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Brisbot said:

The Lighthouse looks F'n awesome. Me and all the hipsters are gonna love this film.

Yeah I am pumped for this, The Witch is one of my favorite movies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Candiru said:

Once Upon A Time is a very significant shift in tone more towards his first three movies and it’s really good.

guess I may go see it at the cheap theater if it’s still there in the next couple weeks 

On 9/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, Brisbot said:

Awwwww yiissssss!!!!

• Like 1

If you like nautically themed filems, Bait is mint

1 hour ago, cwmbrancity said:

If you like nautically themed filems, Bait is mint

I've heard great things about this film.

I rewatched "There will be blood" and watched "The Master" for the first time. Awesome films. I was surprised how much I enjoyed The Master. 

On 9/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, dr lopez said:

ive tried really hard to model my life and behavior on THC in that movie, and as a result i've ended up a lot more like giamatti 

I love when he's talking about Pinot Noir, but actually about himself. Great script for this film. 

Went to see Ad Astra.  Visually it was pretty nice but everything else was pretty mehh.   I can only watch Brad Pitt quivering so much.  

really excited about this. the translation to 3d looks incredibly- just misses some of the early 2d charm like lupin constantly kicking zenigata in the opening credit (that gravity defying floating on air and repeated thing that's not realistic or lupin jumping into bed with fujiko only to get kicked in the face cartoon transition queue)

Joker was really fucking good. Really. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Squee said:

Joker was really fucking good. Really. 

And are the reviewers who are critiquing it on a kinda identity politics basis full of bs, or at least are over-exaggerating?

Edited by Brisbot

that world war z snot..:catsuicide::catghost::catsob:

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

And are the reviewers who are critiquing it on a kinda identity politics basis full of bs, or at least are over-exaggerating?

People are reading shit into everything these days. It’s a movie. Not a diary. It's a movie about the poor and unfortunate people  who are run over by the big guys.

But it is 100% Joaquin Phoenix’s movie. He carries the entire movie on his shoulders with ease and extreme grace. He’s amazing. 

• Like 1

In The Tall Grass -1000/10

This is one if the worst movies I’ve watched in ages. The acting was god damn ludicrous. 

Saw Joker earlier today, Joaquin Phoenix did an amazing portrayal, it was a good film.

It's definitely not your typical "comic book" movie, it's more of a drama. Very dark, unsettling, and poignant, as a Joker-focused tale should be. The media making a scene of this movie is pretty ridiculous also, the violent scenes were striking, but it wasn't gratuitously violent. I also don't think you're supposed to route for Joker in the movie, sympathize yes, his story is rather tragic, but he's still the bad guy in the end.

Edited by ghOsty

On 10/4/2019 at 1:22 PM, Squee said:

This is one if the worst movies I’ve watched in ages. The acting was god damn ludicrous. 

you can say that again-

just finished it. thought it should have ended about 20 min in, but it just kept hammering the same thing over and over again

On 10/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Squee said:

The acting was god damn ludicrous. 

Why break the Stephen King movie habit of a lifetime? 

I look forward to viewing :^)

On 10/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Squee said:

The Netflix Original Seal of Quality

Saw the Joker movie tonight. I’ve gotta say, it’s more or less exactly what I expected. Well crafted. Joaquin delivers. Great score. Well shot. All of that. 

On the flip side, this is not the movie we need to see right now. It’s a fundamentally crass, anarchistic film that litters the screen with images that can be confused for statements but ultimately burns any shred of a philosophy to the ground. I know. It’s a comic book movie.  But the optics of this movie are fucked. 

I’m going to go watch the Great British Bake Off now and cleanse my palate. 

ALSO... (actual spoilers)

Spoiler

What’s up with turning young Alfred into a dick and having some random clown kill Bruce Wayne’s parents???
I’m no expert, but that isn’t cannon, is it?? I mean, I thought the most crucial point of Batman’s life story was Joker killing his parents.

Edited by J3FF3R00