i would like to take this opportunity to recommend some of my favourite occult/satanic films:

Haxan (1922)

WU2TTrhW3pd1lKQ9tk4zH4b20JSv40_large.thumb.jpg.4213e8a18ac628226dc1ebff47c7c3e5.jpg

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

rXjMmW28vBI3WW7qEj2gO6X7NKmq6A_large.thumb.jpg.f1a6ff51555d1db62221e6865278d650.jpg

The Wicker Man (1973)

The_Wicker_Man_(1973_film)_UK_poster.jpg.c87c088b81fc16cf08c7d8c00c0014f8.jpg

1001 Arabian Nights (1974)

ArabianKnightsPasolini.jpg.19c3ce46473912d4d0b9c73ff5d57011.jpg

Ghostwatch (1992)

images.thumb.jpeg.a26dabd6a683e1c8ebff076ff6e23ec8.jpeg

And a shout-out to The Exorcist (1973), which is mandatory for these lists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

learn about paris hilton's tough life of being born with a crystal chandelier up her ass, living up to the family name, and the stressful lifestyle of being paid to mention people's products on the gram. i have a new appreciation of her after viewing this challenging expose into her life

• Facepalm 1
  • Burger 2

^^ was curious to see her contribution to society and the world. also, wife likes that sort of thing 

Spoiler

i found it insulting how she, her mom and sister kept alluding to some kind of trauma on her (paris), from the burden of living up to the family name and living a high class life of traveling and managing her "influencer" businesses- yet the film begins by establishing that's exactly what she wanted. 

Edited by Nebraska

Obligatory posting on the 666 page. Seems appropriate that a Paris Hilton is on this one yah?

Watched I'm Thinking About Ending Things. I think this one is doing itself a disservice by being marketed as a horror film. I guess, in the truest sense of the word it's "horror" as it's (trying to speak vaguely here on purpose) about very real horrors of the mind more than, say, a jump scare film (or even a slow burn A24 or whatever It follows sort of thing). Hyper literary, meta, but what do you expect from a Kaufman film? Impeccably acted on all parts, very much a work of "art" as opposed to pure entertainment (though it is that). Lynchian, heartbreaking at points, beautiful at others. It's haunted me since watching it in the best possible way. 

I will note: yes, there is something to "figure out" here that probably rewards on repeat viewings, but even figuring that out didn't actually detract from the overall experience (as it often does).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, T3551ER said:

Obligatory posting on the 666 page. Seems appropriate that a Paris Hilton is on this one yah?

Watched I'm Thinking About Ending Things. I think this one is doing itself a disservice by being marketed as a horror film. I guess, in the truest sense of the word it's "horror" as it's (trying to speak vaguely here on purpose) about very real horrors of the mind more than, say, a jump scare film (or even a slow burn A24 or whatever It follows sort of thing). Hyper literary, meta, but what do you expect from a Kaufman film? Impeccably acted on all parts, very much a work of "art" as opposed to pure entertainment (though it is that). Lynchian, heartbreaking at points, beautiful at others. It's haunted me since watching it in the best possible way. 

I will note: yes, there is something to "figure out" here that probably rewards on repeat viewings, but even figuring that out didn't actually detract from the overall experience (as it often does).   

Glad to hear someone else liked it.
I'm not sure repeated viewings will necessarily reveal anything groundbreaking to the viewer. I think it's one of those movies where "intuitive logic" or "abstract logic" is the key to understanding it without being able to put your understanding into words. I'm not even sure I like talking about it because the feeling you're left with (if the movie sucked you in and I can totally understand why some people are put off by it) is extremely subjective. My girlfriend and I talked about it for a couple of hours after watching it and whenever I tried putting my thoughts into words it all just fell apart. So whenever I tried explaining what I thought happened I felt like an idiot. I guess you need to be a poet or something to be able to put these feelings into words.

• Like 2

I think I have a pretty clear picture of what it is about, but I still kept thinking about it for days. Great movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squee said:

Glad to hear someone else liked it.
I'm not sure repeated viewings will necessarily reveal anything groundbreaking to the viewer. It's one of those movies that I think "intuitive logic" or "abstract logic" is the key to understanding it without being able to put your understanding into words. I'm not even sure I like talking about it because the feeling you're left with (if the movie sucked you in and I can totally understand why some people are put off by it) is extremely subjective. My girlfriend and I talked about it for a couple of hours after watching it and whenever I tried putting my thoughts into words it all just fell apart. So whenever I tried explaining what I thought happened I felt like an idiot. I guess you need to be a poet or something to be able to put these feelings into words.

First off, it's pretty awesome you have a girl that is not only willing to watch a movie like this with you, but also who wants to talk about it for hours afterwards. That's awesome!  (my wife would rather eat rusty nails than watch a film like that).  I feel like your response to the movie is kinda perfect? I mean, in some ways as literary and wordy as the movie can be, at the heart it seems to be about, in some ways, words being insufficient and words being lost. More a feeling, like you say. 

Glad to see you and QP liked it - feel like it's not for everyone but for a certain person it probably it quite moving (it was for me ... and still am thinking about it days later). 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 1:19 AM, Dragon said:

i would like to take this opportunity to recommend some of my favourite occult/satanic films:

Haxan (1922)

WU2TTrhW3pd1lKQ9tk4zH4b20JSv40_large.thumb.jpg.4213e8a18ac628226dc1ebff47c7c3e5.jpg

Rosemary's Baby (1968)

rXjMmW28vBI3WW7qEj2gO6X7NKmq6A_large.thumb.jpg.f1a6ff51555d1db62221e6865278d650.jpg

The Wicker Man (1973)

The_Wicker_Man_(1973_film)_UK_poster.jpg.c87c088b81fc16cf08c7d8c00c0014f8.jpg

1001 Arabian Nights (1974)

ArabianKnightsPasolini.jpg.19c3ce46473912d4d0b9c73ff5d57011.jpg

Ghostwatch (1992)

images.thumb.jpeg.a26dabd6a683e1c8ebff076ff6e23ec8.jpeg

And a shout-out to The Exorcist (1973), which is mandatory for these lists.

Oh, God! You Devil (1984)

xvWY402.gif

Saw The Invisible Man (2020)
✪✪☆ Not bad. The end is a bit shaky, but the start and mid sections actually have a good slow tense atmosphere imo. 
Written user reviews on imdb rate it very very low however.
So, I dunno... Try it if you like your scary movies to be a bit slower and grimmer.
Better than
Hollow Man (2000).
Haven't seen The Invisible Man (1933) so I can't compare.

The Invisible Man (2020)

Re-watched Waterworld (1995)
First act of the movie is good imo. Then it looses direction unfortunately.
It also has some questionable editing. Another writer may have been able to make a better script / story.
Movie is a bit of guilty pleasure of mine.
It must have been quite something to design and physically make all the props and sets in the movie.
The character / personality of the Mariner (Kevin Costner) is rather interesting. Not a hero-stereotype. A survivor, loner, pariah.
The interactions with the other people he meets are different than most other action-adventure movies.
I like the concept of the story-world. It would work great in an Open-World Role-Playing Game or an Open-World Crafting-Survival Game.
Games like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002), Subnautica (2014), and Raft (2018) are bit like that.
Other than that it fails. I like to fantasize in my head that it was better. lol.
Anyway, here's a picture:
Waterworld (1995)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Re-watched Waterworld (1995)
First act of the movie is good imo. Then it looses direction unfortunately.
It also has some questionable editing. Another writer may have been able to make a better script / story.
Movie is a bit of guilty pleasure of mine.
It must have been quite something to design and physically make all the props and sets in the movie.
The character / personality of the Mariner (Kevin Costner) is rather interesting. Not a hero-stereotype. A survivor, loner, pariah.
The interactions with the other people he meets are different than most other action-adventure movies.
I like the concept of the story-world. It would work great in an Open-World Role-Playing Game or an Open-World Crafting-Survival Game.
Games like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002), Subnautica (2014), and Raft (2018) are bit like that.
Other than that it fails. I like to fantasize in my head that it was better. lol.
Anyway, here's a picture:
Waterworld (1995)

And here's the soundtrack from the SNES game

15 hours ago, Squee said:

And here's the soundtrack from the SNES game

Ooooh nice. That sounds really good. Great music.
I'm reading in the wiki that, just like the movie, the game too flopped.
But the music is very impressive.
Might be one of the better soundtracks on the SNES.

Before I pressed the play-button I was actually expecting old-school / 8-bit / tracker / chiptune / demoscene music, but it seems the SNES was already capable of way more than that: full samples and advanced synths.
I didn't know there was that much difference. Interesting.

Edited by MaartenVC

6 hours ago, Tim_J said:

this was solid, it's just getting average reviews cause his previous movies were high praised...

It's getting increasingly difficult to tell Javier Bardem and RDJ apart.

Fake edit: That's Robert Downey Junior, not Richard D. James, you nerds.

Edited by IDEM
Edited fake edit

I really liked I'm Thinking of Ending Things, enthralling and emotional film that stayed in my head for days after.
Le Cercle Rouge was the last thing I watched and it's great. Super stylish and creates tension through space and silence rather than pummeling you with action/fast cuts/BRAAAAMS!

Edited by Brian Dance
Satan