Oh come on.

I thought it was a good movie. Thought it captured very well how it feels to be at an event like this with your head full of drugs, including the inanity of a lot of it. In fact, this is kind of how I remember the 90s.

Edit: page break, this is about Gaspar Noë's "Climax"

Edited by rhmilo

Finally got around to watching Parasite.

Very enjoyable, technically very well done with a good story. Felt the visual symbolism was a little too overt, but overall really good. Not sure it was "best picture Oscar-worthy" good, but it was fun.

I like Parasite, but I hated how it all ended. A lot of what made the movie great just kind of disappeared with a slasher thing that didn’t really work, imo. 

agree with both posts. first 40 minutes are great and engrossing. rest of it felt rushed, silly, and tonally wrong. every korean film ive ever seen has had crazy tonal shifts so it made sense in that context but still... not like best picture winners are ever good films anyway. worth it for park so-dam.

10 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Oh come on.

I thought it was a good movie. Thought it captured very well how it feels to be at an event like this with your head full of drugs, including the inanity of a lot of it. In fact, this is kind of how I remember the 90s.

Edit: page break, this is about Gaspar Noë's "Climax"

It's good, I just made a joke about Gaspar Noe movies having unlikeable people in them.

10 minutes ago, Gocab said:

It's good, I just made a joke about Gaspar Noe movies having unlikeable people in them.

i said the same about enter the void but as it turns out it's just paz de la huerta that's a really shitty actress...

8 minutes ago, dingformung said:

He might make films in French language but he isn't French (thank God), he is Argentinian so it's "Noé", not "Noë". Damned be the French

you pedantic fuck...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Candiru said:

I like Parasite, but I hated how it all ended. A lot of what made the movie great just kind of disappeared with a slasher thing that didn’t really work, imo. 

The slasher thing could have been done well, to get the full cycle, but it felt rushed and edited poorly. Didn't ruin the movie for me, but it was a bit over the top.

8 hours ago, dingformung said:

He might make films in French language but he isn't French (thank God), he is Argentinian so it's "Noé", not "Noë". Damned be the French

I just picked the first diacritic that came to mind. Sorry.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

I just picked the first diacritic that came to mind. Sorry.

Unforgivable.

I watched Moebius yesterday. Very bizarre film, no music (except at the beginning and at the end) and no dialogue. Sometimes a bit involuntarily funny. Can recommend:

Silence of the Lambs

10/10

Doesn't get much better does it? Everything about the film is crafted to be subtly creepy. Right down to the entomologist with the funny eye. The way the camera pans in the funeral home. The Face to camera acting. The way they put the cream on under their noses in the morgue setting (funeral home). All creepy, but oh so subtle. I can't put my finger on it, We could use another serial killer movie like this. There isn't one. 

Edited by marf
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, marf said:

Silence of the Lambs

10/10

Doesn't get much better does it? Everything about the film is crafted to be subtly creepy. Right down to the entomologist with the funny eye. The way the camera pans in the funeral home. The Face to camera acting. The way they put the cream on under their noses in the morgue setting (funeral home). All creepy, but oh so subtle. I can't put my finger on it, We could use another serial killer movie like this. There isn't one. 

Have you seen Man Bites Dog, Henry or Angst? Those are up there as well. All different flavours, not very 'subtle' but then again there is nothing subtle about the subject matter anyway.

13 hours ago, kichiguy said:

Have you seen Man Bites Dog, Henry or Angst? Those are up there as well. All different flavours, not very 'subtle' but then again there is nothing subtle about the subject matter anyway.

No, but I meant the directing is subtle. Demme's style was subtle ,Not overly moody and ambient, but it was at the same time. Hard to explain

Edited by marf

Bill and Ted Face the Music - much more of a family film than first two movies, pretty much looks like a Syfy Channel quality production.  Some scenes were obviously shot during COVID; empty sets with no extras.  6/10

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) - watching Jet Li and Jackie Chan face-off was worth the white kid Cobra Kai type stuff.  Beautiful Chinese scenery. 8/10

49 minutes ago, prdctvsm said:

220px-City_of_lost_children_french_movie

That is *fantastic*

As is the movie he made before it, “Delicatessen”.

The stuff that came after is pretty enjoyable, too. Like “Un long dimanche de fiançailles”, “Micmacs à tire-larigot” and of course that obscure little flick called “Amelie”. Basically if it says “Jeunet” on the cover I’ll watch it.