12 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

plus her acting got worse???

It was never good, but holy shit she's terrible in this one, haha.

Also, this "speech" made no sense. I don't even think this is all of it.

• Burger 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:03 PM, Alcofribas said:

i saw this dingformung post in a different thread:

"FlightClub isn't an anticapitalist/anti-consumerism movie, it just tries to come off as one. In the end it promotes capitalist values: You need an army of stupid workers for the rough work that see you as their authoritarian leader to achieve something (kind of like every corporation), you need creative destruction to keep the machinery working, etc. Tyler Durden isn't a rebel, he is a modern entrepreneur. They should do a remake with Elon Musk playing Elon Musk."

perhaps i'm missing something but isn't the film taking the piss with ideas like this? isn't it about a delusional, schizophrenic guy who is engaged in an ultimately pathetic quest to rebel that is tragically infused with his own adolescent, inane views about society and life? 

fans of this movie obviously think the violence is cool, that tyler durden is bad ass, etc; detractors claim he's toxic, fascistic, etc. imo the movie's own take on him is revealed pretty consistently - i mean he's literally a salesman, this is a totally on the nose trait. there's a useful scene where the two of them get on a bus and jack points out this calvin klein add with some buff shirtless guy and says something like "oh is this how a real man is supposed to look?" and tyler goes "haha self improvement is masturbation." but the whole fucking movie that's exactly what tyler durden looks like, shirtless with an impossibly lean body completely unsuitable for "real" life, training a bunch of men to "improve" their lives.

idk, i think fincher has been pretty consistent in his characterization of masculinity as pathetic and broken. my take on fight club is that it's portrayal of the hyper-macho militancy is definitely ironic. tyler durden isn't making all these corny adbusters observations of the world because that's what fincher thinks is cool - his character is meant to be a juvenile reaction against consumerism that is ultimately just a kind of darker spinoff of mainstream consumerist culture. it's led by a salesman who has the figure of a supermodel. and this is because tyler is not a real person but an incoherent offspring of a pathetic, broken dude's psyche. 

wondering what people's thoughts are on this if anyone cares to share. it's been years since i've seen this movie but i regularly see it being discussed from an un-ironic position and this always surprises me.

Well put and I see where you are coming from. Honestly it's been a while since I saw it but it seems to get more boring with every watching which isn't necessarily a quality of a classic. It's not an as important movie as its popularity suggests

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Well put and I see where you are coming from. Honestly it's been a while since I saw it but it seems to get more boring with every watch which isn't necessarily a quality of a classic. It's not an as important movie as its popularity suggests

plus the soundtrack is extremely lame imo

• Like 1

I was the first person hating this movie... Apparently now it's a trend but it was me who started the hate... Any expert in cinema like myself could see it miles away that it wasn't going to age well... 

Edited by Tim_J

That's the problem with movies that live too much from their story and plot twists rather than from their form and cinematographic aesthetics. For a movie to age well the plot is almost secondary. Inland Empire being an extreme example of form > story. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim_J said:

I was the first person hating this movie... Apparently now it's a trend but it was me who started the hate... Any expert in cinema like myself could see it miles away that it wasn't going to age well... 

i hated it before you

image.thumb.jpeg.595748ea0294d3c0706da4d46e90e71d.jpeg

Wandering Earth (2019), a Chinese hit film based on a Liu Cixin (he of Three Body Problem fame) short story.

Lots of explosions, people screaming and cgi. Entertaining, though.

11 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.595748ea0294d3c0706da4d46e90e71d.jpeg

Wandering Earth (2019), a Chinese hit film based on a Liu Cixin (he of Three Body Problem fame) short story.

Lots of explosions, people screaming and cgi. Entertaining, though.

omglol @ the short description on IMDB:
"As the sun is dying out, people all around the world build giant planet thrusters to move Earth out of its orbit and sail Earth to a new star system. Yet the 2500-year journey comes with unexpected dangers, and in order to save humanity, a group of young people in this age of a wandering Earth fight hard for the survival of humankind."

On 1/15/2021 at 5:09 PM, Tim_J said:

i'm sad to say but this movie was really bad... like, really really bad... had such high hopes for it...

spring was my least favorite of them... have you seen resolution? if you do you might enjoy the endless a bit more... both movies plots are intertwined...

Oof... yeah, the trailers made me really worried, though had a glimmer of hope. 

Haven't seen resolution (yet) know about some of the connective tissue - I feel like their films really require the right headspace. Like, I suspect I'd have enjoyed the Endless more if I was in a different mood - also think I could have easily hated spring a lot but it just hit me at the right time in my life to love it. I actually have hesitated to re-watch because I'm afraid I'll mar the experience. Will give resolution a go though, avoid Synchronic cheers TJ

24 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Oof... yeah, the trailers made me really worried, though had a glimmer of hope. 

Haven't seen resolution (yet) know about some of the connective tissue - I feel like their films really require the right headspace. Like, I suspect I'd have enjoyed the Endless more if I was in a different mood - also think I could have easily hated spring a lot but it just hit me at the right time in my life to love it. I actually have hesitated to re-watch because I'm afraid I'll mar the experience. Will give resolution a go though, avoid Synchronic cheers TJ

The endless is a bit difficult because of the atrocious acting and weak directing... It didn't really grabbed me the 1st time but after watching resolution for the 2nd time I got back to the endless and it was a much better experience... I'd like to hear your thoughts on synchronic though... Make me feel less of an hater... 

Edited by Tim_J

11 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

The endless is a bit difficult because of the atrocious acting and weak directing... It didn't really grabbed me the 1st time but after watching resolution for the 2nd time I got back to the endless and it was a much better experience... I'd like to hear your thoughts on synchronic though... Make me feel less of an hater... 

haha k, I'll give it a whirl, will report back. Yeah, the acting in the endless and direction def took me out of it... but I really did like the ideas, the execution just seemed a bit janky... actually, think it'd be fun to do one-day movie marathon of all these guys' flicks but, like: smoke, watch spring, smoke more, watch resolution, smoke tons watch endless, smoke quantities watch synchronic. Seems like blurring the lines a bit might help w/ their stuffs....

• Like 1

It had Steve Coogan in it, so:

Greed (2019)

It was so so and went from being rather preachy to being really, really preachy at the end.

There was a lion, however, and Coogan insulted people so it was ok.

E252797D-2421-497A-86B9-89563E34C429.jpeg

black circle.  these 2 sisters listen to an old school trance record that conjures up there doubles and fucks there week up. summat like that. Pretty good trippy film with some wicked potential. needed more.  needed to go deeper, wider and weirder.

47 minutes ago, Mindphaser said:

black circle.  these 2 sisters listen to an old school trance record that conjures up there doubles and fucks there week up. summat like that. Pretty good trippy film with some wicked potential. needed more.  needed to go deeper, wider and weirder.

Interesting. May I ask where you found this? All the usual sources (legal and fallback) come up empty for me.