Endgameposter.jpg

this was shockingly pretty good. the first 20-30minutes are basically the running man- after that things get really interesting. it's also filmed like a 60s arthouse sci-fi with an (obviously) paltry budget that is complemented by some pretty clumsy and very juvenile directing choices. 

in other words: it's top tier b-movie territory

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 6:57 AM, T3551ER said:

Confession: I watched Red Notice

Darker Confession: I... ok, fine, I liked it. It's exactly what you expect (heist movie with the Rock being the Rock, Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot being hot). It's pretty to look at and action-y and heist-y. It's mindless entertainment but not a bad way to kill a Sunday afternoon. ..

you are a very generous man.

7 hours ago, usagi said:

you are a very generous man.

hahah. yeah. I'm getting soft in my dotage. My tolerance for generic hollywood bullshit has definitely risen exponentially w/ age .... 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:36 AM, Nebraska said:

kRzMjb6JiJ82kksELQjl779Unrd.jpg

this was terrible. it's on par with those lifetime original films except this has a bigger budget and a script so hammy with it's visual cues there might as well be a lit up arrow pointing them all out

couldn't agree more, definitely wright's worst. a meandering, pointless mess, topped off with a boring and laughable finale.

I watched Lamb, this Icelandic A24 thing with Noomi Rapace. it's being called horror but it didn't really seem that way, more of a surreal drama or something. it was fine. kind of by-the-numbers slow arthouse movie. the central conceit of the film was almost undone by some borderline-wonky looking CGI.

75991-dracula-the-dirty-old-man--0-230-0

this is an interesting film because it's clearly unfinished. it was not filmed with any sound, so all the dialogue has been dubbed in later either by people that don't care or by someone who tried to make sense of whatever it is you're watching. 

dracula magically comes back (?) to life and demands some dude bring him back dames. that guy agrees. there is also a werewolf (again, out of the blue) hiding behind a dumpster that does the same thing. how does the werewolf know the count? no explanation. in fact, there are times people are talking and there is no dialogue. things happen when they want to, not when they should. when people get angry, they end the conversation at their own discretion with no resolve. when a woman is kidnapped, she is smacked and told not to say that again, despite not saying anything in the first place. 

it's that kind of film

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/24/2021 at 9:47 PM, Alcofribas said:

Nebraska, how do you decide on the films you watch? Do you do research first?

i have a lot and i've been randomly working my way through them in hopes of thinning out my "to watchlist"

220px-Lovecamp7poster.jpg

this is considered the first nazipoloitation and you can tell from the lack of confidence. firstly, the entire film takes place in 3 (or 4) locations. a majority of the action is in a bedroom with 4 bunk beds (supposed to be the concentration camp). outside that bedroom is a shed that represents the camp. the premise is that two young women working for the allies go undercover to report what really happens in a nazi "love camp". immediately they get there they are informed there is lots of lovin' going on. why the film felt it was not ready to after that statement is beyond me.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:00 PM, AnwarAutokino said:

couldn't agree more, definitely wright's worst. a meandering, pointless mess, topped off with a boring and laughable finale.

i think getting kicked off ant man ruined edgar wrights life somehow. which is pretty funny in a sad sort of way.

https://omny.fm/shows/chomfm/music-matters-part-1-of-the-beatles-get-back-is-ou/image.jpg?t=1637851229&size=Small

The Beatles - Get Back (2021)

As someone who likes a lot of their music but is by no means a die-hard fan, I still thought this was an amazing watch and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested to see how those guys came up with ideas, composed and recorded. I particularly liked how Jackson didn't try to force the archival footage into some kind of narrative corset. there's a lot of frustration and boredom in those sessions, and I appreciate the fact that they didn't leave that stuff out to make it a "tighter" viewing experience.

https://media.s-bol.com/JPXK1K3PnQ2o/141x210.jpg

Ammonite (2020)

A really focused and well-crafted film. Some really subtle stuff going on here in terms of ambience, writing and acting.

• Like 1

I finally watched attempted to watch Prometheus. I made it about 20 minutes in. Absolute trash. I paused the movie after the opening scene and questioned whether I should keep going. Hit play. They start introducing the most ham-fisted stereotypical idiot characters in the world, one by one, and I was done. -12/10

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1