2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

*the killer semi-spoilers*

ultimately found it really rich and fun, a taut but not lean thriller, which sees fincher bringing a little more levity into his intense control. kinda felt there must be a little self-deprecation in this one, in a way

you picked up on similar things here as also found in ‘american psycho’ i think. i didn’t really, but what you say makes sense.

10 minutes ago, logboy said:

you picked up on similar things here as also found in ‘american psycho’ i think. i didn’t really, but what you say makes sense.

there are similarities but i think the killer is depicted more like a regular person

Spoiler

(at the very end he concludes he isn't one of the "few")

, whereas in american psycho the finance bro is a really over the top psycho. it's less a film about a character losing his grip on reality and more a story about someone with a completely inauthentic lofty personal philosophy that he adheres to while pretty much disobeying every principle throughout the film. that's more "life like" and really made me think about how our culture is so obsessed with performative ideologies that mean nothing as they are never tested or brought into action, and when challenged they evaporate into thin air. it's almost like the narration was like his "posting" online. 

where i think this has a secondary humor is with respect to fincher himeself, a director known for operating under very similar principles to those articulated by the killer: total control, clinical distance/lack of empathy, rejection of improvisation, etc. i feel like he was having fun with this. 

Edited by Alcofribas

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16300962/

Cuando acecha la maldad

can't decide if it was ludicrous or horrendous... there's one scene particularly that I thought I wouldn't be able to stomach... but then there's several cringe silly faceplam scenes that outweight the horror ones so I made it to the end...

edit: i also saw the last saw... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by cruising for burgers

20 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16300962/

Cuando acecha la maldad

can't decide if it was ludicrous or horrendous... there's one scene particularly that I thought I wouldn't be able to stomach... but then there's several cringe silly faceplam scenes that outweight the horror ones so I made it to the end...

edit: i also saw the last saw... 🤷‍♂️

Yeah that Spanish flick was weird. The one brother kept reminding me of Mel Gibson, each time he appeared I was like oh here comes Mel Gibson's long lost brother. Something about the beard and surly demeanor. Acting was good and the idea was genuinely creepy, as was the execution of it until it dropped the ball and I lost interest around three quarters of the way through. The beginning was fantastic though. 

• Like 2

this Matt Johnson dude is kinda new to me... I've watched operation avalanche before and i thoroughly enjoyed it...
3ngw7s1fa0eJL19fJ6Jw0bTQg3n.thumb.jpg.b9baf615c5fc307315c5ac01b5bbf018.jpgimage.png.2b860dc04e9f6533e2f773589b94d008.png

now I've watched this new blackberry one which is cool as hell as well...
nHFCoSxKjcjgwnR2A1Z7FaiFltV.thumb.jpg.c4fcc72155bf3596d5b0dd55287a3cdf.jpg

a friend recommended me nirvana the band the show before but att I didn't co-relate... anyway it's downloaded and ready to watch...
oO0JoL6IVKweyoT1nSukshfQIX8.thumb.jpg.916a13d4b8f2ee5cd825a07b2ac5fd02.jpg

but first I'm gonna watch his 1st movie... the dirties...
y3p2ul1ysO34psURjVE7KqGpUeT.thumb.jpg.cac0823c6e48a675735560735dfab27e.jpg

him and his team have a really unique style, i highly recommend their stuff but i guess most of you are already into it...

Edited by cruising for burgers

Four Lions. As hilarious and strangely heartwarming as I remember it being. Cool to see it’s free to watch on YT except for when the ads kick in at a 275% decibel increase. Fuck. Also I’m sure most of you know but it’s got a bit of Aphex Twin added in at the end for good measure. 

After that I saw in the comments that Riz Hamed was also the lead in Sound of Metal so I gave that a watch on prime. Much lighter subject matter than Four Lions but way heavier in tone. Not sure why I slept on it for so long. Great film and great performance.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, cruising for burgers said:

this Matt Johnson dude is kinda new to me... I've watched operation avalanche before and i thoroughly enjoyed it...
3ngw7s1fa0eJL19fJ6Jw0bTQg3n.thumb.jpg.b9baf615c5fc307315c5ac01b5bbf018.jpgimage.png.2b860dc04e9f6533e2f773589b94d008.png

now I've watched this new blackberry one which is cool as hell as well...
nHFCoSxKjcjgwnR2A1Z7FaiFltV.thumb.jpg.c4fcc72155bf3596d5b0dd55287a3cdf.jpg

a friend recommended me nirvana the band the show before but att I didn't co-relate... anyway it's downloaded and ready to watch...
oO0JoL6IVKweyoT1nSukshfQIX8.thumb.jpg.916a13d4b8f2ee5cd825a07b2ac5fd02.jpg

but first I'm gonna watch his 1st movie... the dirties...
y3p2ul1ysO34psURjVE7KqGpUeT.thumb.jpg.cac0823c6e48a675735560735dfab27e.jpg

him and his team have a really unique style, i highly recommend their stuff but i guess most of you are already into it...

I've only seen Nirvanna the band the show, which is good dumb fun. Will check the other stuff out 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 9:16 AM, Alcofribas said:

*the killer semi-spoilers*

Yeah this is exactly how I experienced this movie. His voice-over lines are delivered like half-assed tweets to calm himself down while demonstrating zero self-reflection, he just cranks up The Smiths.  Found myself laughing at times the theater was silent so I don't know if it tracks with everybody.  But I can also see this being "yeah I get it who cares" for some people too.  Taut and straight without the narrative twists in Fincher's best work.  I loved it and it might be his funniest

Edited by chemick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, o00o said:

Did you guys watch the killer in cinema? On Netflix it says next Friday and sailing the high seas didn’t wash it ashore either 

Yeah it's the blink-and-you-miss-it Netflix strategy of putting it in a few theaters for a weekend or two before it drops on streaming.  Like, I wanna say a few dozen theaters nationally got this.  I'm a big fan of Fincher so I drove to the nearest showing 2 hours away.  No idea if this is being shown outside of the United States.

Really lame because this film rocks in the theater. The sound design / soundtrack and bass is very slick, I'm glad I made it out to see it.  Frustrating they can't just give The Killer a standard wide release.

• Like 1