IGNORED

Machinedrum - Vapor City

cear

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zelmo Swift

I almost drove down from Vancouver for Nicolas Jaar and Mount Kimbie. Though I'm not sure how WATMM feels about Jaar.

Probably not the best thread for this but surely WATMM has love for Jaar?

I only heard the Daftside "Random Access Memories Memories" thing, and I thought it was interesting. What else should I hear?

I almost drove down from Vancouver for Nicolas Jaar and Mount Kimbie. Though I'm not sure how WATMM feels about Jaar.

I only heard the Daftside "Random Access Memories Memories" thing, and I thought it was interesting. What else should I hear?

Jaar has really found an audience lately - it's like everyone who has never dove into dub techno latched onto the guy.

Well there's his album Space Is Only Noise from 2011 which is pretty nice. Also Darkside (who did the Daftside album... geddit?) just released a new album a few weeks ago called Psychic which I've been playing a lot.

Though I have a lot of time (maybe more) for his remixes. Earlier this year he released Brian Eno X Nicolas Jaar x Grizzly Bear which featured a remixes of those two. The Grizzly Bear tune especially is fantastic. In general I think his production is fucking lush. He uses space really well.

Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute [Nicolas Jaar Remix]

[youtubehd]sr5xAugesE0[/youtubehd]

Azari & III - Into The Night [Nicolas Jaar Remix]

[youtubehd]1n4wlP1ax9k[/youtubehd]

No Regular Play - Owe Me [Nicolas Jaar Remix]

[youtubehd]GaOBseqa-hg[/youtubehd]

And I also like this boilerroom set. I like his dancing.

[youtubehd]IUjWumGIqe8[/youtubehd]

If none of that does it for you, probably not worth checking much more out.

I liked Jaar, I think I just got into Andy Stott a lot more a couple years back instead, especially since he reminded me of Monolake and T++

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about starting a thread about Darkside. It's a lot more interesting than I expected - I'm surprised but very pleased that's getting hyped. It's like a marriage of dub techno/deep house with krautrock/kosmische but still oddly uptempo, sort of like a dub take on disco using modern digital equipment.

there seems to be a fascination with the young/naive/underdeveloped spirit of a lot of new electronic music. I will never fucking understand that personally. Being punk and rebellious is not the equivalent to not knowing how to produce something compelling or interesting.

That reverb-y fruity loops shit is

RAW

It's because electronica is "BIG" now and all the critics with hard core Rockism running through their veins need something to write about. It gets no REALER or AUTHENTIC than jams I wrote in my 2001 dorm room on a giant Dell tower computer duh.

Also is it just me or does this album sound like Breakage only not as good? I can't be the only one here still in love with the first Breakage LP.

I'm on my first listen (finally got the cd, had only listened to Eyesdontlie before this) and I don't see why everyone isn't all over this...it's not the monument that Room(s) obviously was, but this is a very solid, distinct and impressive album. Classy and moody and strong and subtle. It ain't perfect, but I'd say ole TStew did a great job with it. I can only see this getting better with time.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

after listening this a few times and loving it I went back and relistened to room(s), an album i didnt really like aside from 2 tracks previously. and I felt the same way again. maybe vapor city is a much more immediate album

right now my opinion is this is better than rooms

whoa whoa calm down now.

But really, it's a good record. The two albums are quite different in mood though.

Also, that Overcome track has some great stuff in it, but I can see why it didn't quite make it to the album. The last half is sweet, and I'd imagine it could've benefitted from some more time tweaking the track (his policy of trying to finish a track within a few days is always in the back of my head now).

Archived