cear

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/machinedrum-vapor-city

Sum1 is hella butthurt about machinedrum

valid and intelligent review

Yeah gotta agree with the guy. Album sounds lush but the tracks are pretty dull

Haven't even heard vapor city yet, except gunshotta, but the review seems reasonable. The final sentence sums it up well i imagine

On Vapor City and elsewhere in dance music’s loftier quarters, what was a dangerous, urgent typhoon of sound integrates placidly into the fabric of normalcy, dissipates into the air, and proceeds to move between us, unseen, burying the communicative shout of the artist in a sea of overwhelming, albeit nicely-tailored, static.

Hmmm, not too sure about that review myself. Reminds me of a friend of mine who always seems to have an idea of what he considers an album should 'be' before he listens to it, and then gets annoyed if it's not what he expected. Listening to a machinedrum album and complaining that the tight production and 'beautiful melodies' mean it doesn't sound like dj rashad doesn't really make much sense to me. Plus there seems to be a fair amount of 'I'm more underground than you' one-upmanship going on there as well.

Hmmm, not too sure about that review myself. Reminds me of a friend of mine who always seems to have an idea of what he considers an album should 'be' before he listens to it, and then gets annoyed if it's not what he expected. Listening to a machinedrum album and complaining that the tight production and 'beautiful melodies' mean it doesn't sound like dj rashad doesn't really make much sense to me. Plus there seems to be a fair amount of 'I'm more underground than you' one-upmanship going on there as well.

Yeah, I thought the album was getting slightly into easy listening clothes shopping with Lone territory, but not to the point that it's a bad album. Just less punchy than Room(s). If I were rating it, I'd give it a 3.5/5. Giving it a 1.5 seems like its own little statement.

It's a good album. I think Room(s) is probably better at this point in time, but Vapor City is nothing to scoff at.

I loved rooms but look past the juke beats/throbbing bass/vocal samples and you realize the synth work left something to be desired.

I disagree. I think the melodies on Room(s) are brilliant in their building repetition. I find Vapor City lacks a little of that, but I've only had one listen. And who needs more of the same, right?

7f5.gif

Perfect GIF.

Last night I dreamed that I was hanging out with Travis Stewart and we were driving somewhere and I asked him "why did you put 'U Still Lie' right up against 'Eyesdontlie' on the Vapor City the tracklisting?". He had a long-winded answer with loads of Freudian logic that I cannot clearly recall.

The vibe I get from machinedrum is like he plays a gig and chills for like 20 minutes in the afterparty on the couch with lots of coked out broads twisting his mustache and feeling his chest and cool bros giving him fist bumps, and then he's like "k guize i got 2 dip" and they're all like 'aww man okay cya machinedrum' and he goes back to his room and reads the boc forum alone

I just want to come back to this and say this is probably one of the top 3 posts I've ever seen on an internet discussion board.

The vibe I get from machinedrum is like he plays a gig and chills for like 20 minutes in the afterparty on the couch with lots of coked out broads twisting his mustache and feeling his chest and cool bros giving him fist bumps, and then he's like "k guize i got 2 dip" and they're all like 'aww man okay cya machinedrum' and he goes back to his room and reads the boc forum alone

I just want to come back to this and say this is probably one of the top 3 posts I've ever seen on an internet discussion board.

this is exactly the kind of shit that makes watmm cool. one day I hope we all get together and stroke our beards while saying tons of shit like this.

Guest cult fiction

I was all hype for this album after listening to it once or twice back when it leaked on YouTube. Sounded really great.

Now that I bought the mp3s and I've given it a few closer listens, I'm pretty disappointed, in fact more so with each play.

The rhythms, the melodies, the arrangements all have so much potential but ultimately feel tepid and repetitive. I want to love them but my mind wanders by the middle of each track.

It's no Room(s), and given how massively good that album and its b-sides were, maybe my expectations were too high...

really enoying this...such great atmosphere throughout that matches the artwork perfectly.

I don't know why he didn't include the bonus track "overcome" on the wide release...it's a great closer

i have to agree with this in some way

Wouldn't it be nice if you won a gold medallion? posted to you plush in golden bed of hair, cut from machinedrums golden chest.

That man is so sexy

I feel the manbeast rise within me when ever I hear his music!

Also aliasing as Aden, apparently

I like it. are you certain it's MD though? a quick Google search doesn't give anything concrete.

Jacques Greene played it on radio, said it was machinedrum

Archived