IGNORED

Can we talk about Amber?

Lost in Amber

Slip-Glitch-Piezo-Nine is a nice early Ae sequence.  I can’t be mad at Slip for being in such a good mood. I’m a miserable person but I’m not a goddamn monster (maybe).

The opening three tracks don’t quite have the same unabashed Camembert that Slip and all of Incunabula possess, and so they kind of paradoxically have aged a bit worse, like an old kraft single found under the fridge, a bit off putting but not punching your nose holes with any interesting ammonia notes. What?

Anti and Garbage are better on either side of Amber, but Amber isn’t bad at all.    

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I haven't played Amber for a while, and this break has been a good one. Really hit the spot today. There's a lot of tracks from this album that I'd find hard pressed not to included in a favourites list; though that would always be time and mood dependent. 

Great pacing, the indisputable Ae DNA, slowly evolving tracks, breakdowns, the reverb, the lush... Not too far off from the three decades marker. 

• Like 4

Less of this tomfoolery! 
On a serious note Amber is still in my top 5 Autechre LPs. Which is remarkable. It was also the first time I ever heard a note by them. A totally blind purchase on the back of recently discovering Aphex Twin. I was blown away. A very wise purchase.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

guys check this out: AMBER

A - autechre

M - music

B - best

E - ever

R - rite

I want to believe.

Also, lying on the sofa listening to Amber on decent headphones after a nice joint is a wonderful experience.

Same. By a mile. 
Picked this one up back in the day after hearing their stuff on the Artificial Intelligence comp and (despite continually trying… aside from Tri Repetae) I’ve yet to get similar feels from much else of any of their later work. The album has that post-afterparty, sunrise magic baked in. Quite the special record. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Also, lying on the sofa listening to Amber on decent headphones after a nice joint is a wonderful experience.

I think the first time I heard Amber I was stoned, it certainly used to be my go to smoking album. If I still smoked I'd put this on. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Bet most of us who are reading this thread will play Amber within the next 24 hours. Excellent bump  Shimon_Shimon 

Ha yeah playing it now! Amber is the one album I don’t think about that often but when I play it I always think shit this is brilliant 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Bet most of us who are reading this thread will play Amber within the next 24 hours. Excellent bump  Shimon_Shimon 

Yeah, I didn’t even need to read the thread, I just thought- “oh yeah next time I’m driving, that will be what I play”. Like, the second I saw the thread.

• Like 2